out or in?

Discussion in 'Heating and Air-Conditioning' started by lee52, Nov 7, 2013.

1. lee52

lee52 Funster

well the rebuild stage has started and I have a heating question my bus came with a eberspacher 5kw derv heater and it works. the question is if I was to run the blow air piping under the bus then having it pop up thro the floor at the relevant points that i need will I suffer to much heat loss with the pipes been in the outside world, I know the proper way is inside the bus but am tryin to have a open plan and dont want to have big ole "skirting boards" to hide the pipe work inside the bus

2. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

Inside or you are wasting time and money in my opinion.
    The only way you could do it would be with loads of lagging, and even then I don't think it would be as efficient as inside.
    Also, if it was outside it would be at risk from water, stones, salt etc. so if it was me I would go for inside.

Only my opinion and I am sure others will have different answers and solutions.

• Like Like x 1
  3. lee52

lee52 Funster

thats what i thought just hoping it would be doable I know the blow air piping is "Insulated" but doubt anywhere to the degree that I,ll need

4. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

A very good question.

The air is travelling at a fair old lick in the pipe so does not have that much time to cool.

So maybe less loss than you think.

5. lee52

lee52 Funster

mmm time for some testing i think. I have a load of pipe coming in the post its the proper truma insulated stuff if you know what i mean, think I,ll run the whole length outside and measure the input and output temps of the pipe and see what i get. if i can get away with it, it will make a much cleaner install

6. keith

keith Funster

Ours runs inside the van and has some useful advantages.
    The runs do get hot as they don't have any substantial insulation but that can be a blessing because where they run will also get warm.
    As ours pass under the lounge seat the cavity gets warm and as the water tank is under the seat it will never freeze.
    The pipe also runs under the bathroom floor (there is a double floor to accommodate it) so this also makes sure the water pipes are frost free.
    It then goes via the locker into the bedroom so even the locker gets a warm glow.
    As you will see, if it can be done in a similar way, you can gain extra benefits from the warm pipes.
    By running outside you will waste all that useful heat, maybe the following vehicle will benefit from your generosity.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  7. lee52

lee52 Funster

I like that lol

suppose it will help to keep all those hiden corners warm and dry. just with doing a full refurb i have a million different options lol I settled on a layout plan but now i have stripped it back to bare shell things change again lol

8. Terry

Terry Funster

Inside every time or you will need it boxing in and lagging stuffed in the box, you will be surprised how much colder the farest away outlet is compared to the nearest
    Terry

9. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Sorry - I thought this was a Yosser thread.:BigGrin: