A class
Exp
37 years
Our Road Trip - Update 15th September

Here is the next excerpt to our trip.

From a sunny - 70 degrees - Windsor in Canada

Nigel and Pamala

Our Road Trip – Update 15th September, 2010

We have arrived in Canada, just over the border from Detroit. We are on our way to visit family that we haven’t seen in many a year. We should be with them tomorrow and spend a few days unless than can’t stand the sight of us and ask us to go.

It has taken us a bit longer than we expected to travel across the top of America, our first port of call was Cody, on the east of Yellowstone National Park. We did not try to visit Yellowstone again as, would you believe it, it was a Public Holiday, the last time we went it was school holidays and there wasn’t a camping pitch anywhere near, so not be outdone again, we went across the top and headed for Cody via Red Lodge, and boy, are we glad we did. We took some spectacular roads across mountain passes, what beautiful views we saw and the different terrains.

We spent a couple of days at Cody, one reason was to see if we could sort out our gas bottles, we need to change them slightly for the English regulations, but unfortunately they couldn’t help, we also went to an RV Service place to see if they could look at our generator, it’s not worked since we got the camper, they couldn’t help either. By this time most of the day had gone, but we wanted to hang around as every night in the town they have a ‘shootout’. It is held outside the Irma Hotel, which was supposed to have been built by Cody (Buffalo Bill), and named after his daughter. The shootout is done by locals for charity and was a bit of a laugh. Walmarts were our hosts for the couple of nights we stayed at Cody, looked after us pretty well. We loved this little town, Nigel even kitted himself out with some western style gear. Sad to leave it.

We then went to Rapid City – almost straight east. We stopped at a couple of places on the way again to see about getting the genny fixed and they directed us to some places in Rapid City. We camped in a forestry campsite along the way right up in the mountains, the reason we knew we were high up, we found it difficult to breathe with the high altitude, glad to get down the mountain in the morning.

Again we stayed in Walmarts carpark at Rapid City, spent the next day at some RV dealers and bought some bits and pieces we wanted for the camper plus tried to get the genny fixed, we have bought the part we need, now we need the time to fit it, but we can manage without the genny, we are only concerned that if we free camp on the way back down to Texas and it is pretty hot in the night we might need to run the genny for the airconditioning.

Other reasons for coming across the top of the USA was to visit Sturgis where they have the motorbike rally every year – it is massive, but unfortunately, it was being held while we were in Alaska, but we’ve visited the town anyway. We also wanted to go to Mount Rushmore, where there are 4 ex-presidents heads carved into the side of Mount Rushmore. We wanted to see the light show and went to visit around 6 p.m. ready for the lighting up of it at around 8 p.m. It was a really lovely experience, had a great meal there too.

We knew that from the next day we had to get a move on as we had to drive about 1700 miles across to our relatives in Canada – near Toronto. We had hoped to find a nice place to stop for a few days and unwind, but that didn’t happen. We also came a different way than originally planned, we took the most direct route we could find, which meant driving on the edge of Chicago and onto Detroit. It was all freeway, and we were going well and were hoping to get past Detroit into Canada but it was getting dark, and the traffic was horrendous, driving like that at night I was getting stressed out, so we got the sat nav (gps) out and found the nearest Wal-mart, which happened to be on 2.5 miles away. We feel like we are going home when we camp at Wal-marts, you can arrive anytime you like, leave when you like and don’t have to pay and you have supplies on your doorstep.
We headed for Detroit in the morning and programmed sat nav to take us to Windsor which is just in Canada, it said we had a ferry crossing to make, no worries, we just went where she directed us until we hit a detour which she didn’t know about. As far as she was concerned there was no alternative. We eventually got to the ferry, and had to drive through the roughest of places you could imagine to get there, all the buildings were derelict and had been burnt, not a place you want to free camp at night. When we arrived there there was quite a bit of tension inside the vehicle, quite stressed to say the least, only to find out that the ferry was for vehicles carrying hazardous materials, I said I could be quite hazardous if they wanted lol.

We found out that there was a bridge crossing and were given the directions for it, we soon started swearing at the Sat Nav (which we have named Lori), having got us into this godforsaken place. We found the bridge OK, but what a right carryon that was to get over it. We eventually arrived in Canada and wanted to find the first campsite we could to camp for the night even though it was only 1 p.m. and have a much needed cup of tea.
We found one in a leaflet we got from the visitors centre which seemed reasonable until they add all the taxes on – it has cost us $40.00 for the night – a bit different from what Wal-marts charge. But we have been able to get the washing done and catch up on a few things once again, that get left whilst travelling day after day.

This brings us to now and we are both looking forward to spending time with family – not sure what they have in store for us but I am sure we will enjoy.

So until next time – keep smiling.

Nigel and Pamala

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi Nigel & Pamala,

As usual, some great blogging there.

We've not done the States or Canada, but we've done the "tension in the vehicle bit" many times now, so you are in good company. :ROFLMAO:

We hope family treat you like long lost relatives, and that you have a great time.

Stay safe,

Jock & Rita.

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
Hi Pamela & Nigel
great to hear your expeditions on where you have been and where you are going, must be great.
keep safe and enjoy
see you both soon
bob & Val

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Sundowners

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Just a note to tell you that we reached our starting point, which means we have completed Route 66 and we feel it is also the final leg of our journey, not sure if we are sad or glad at the moment. There will be a full update placed here over the weekend sometime.

We are now on our way south from Oklahoma City to Houston, Texas, where we will be arranging the shipping of our rig and to sort a few things out on the camper - flights booked for 14th October - two weeks tomorrow.

TOTAL TRAVELLED AT END OF PLAY TOMORROW - 17,000 MILES

Nigel and Pamala - Duncan, Oklahoma - 70 degrees - midnight

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Nice one you two.

We look forward to reading the full update later this weekend.

Safe travels,

Jock & Rita.

OP
OP
Sundowners

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
OUR ROAD TRIP

Update 3rd October, 2010

On 16th September, we arrived at my (Pamala’s) cousin Libbys place, someone I hadn’t seen for nearly 50 years. It was nerve racking for me, but I needn’t have worried and Libby and her other half, Chris, were so nice and we got on as though we had known each other for years. We spent the night parked outside their place after spending a very pleasant evening with them and keeping Chris away from his early bed.

The next day they took us to their weekend home, at a lovely friendly trailer park about an hours drive away. That evening we sat outside around the campfire, which is one of the things we really love to do. The following day we had planned to go to speedway, it was the final show of the year and they were to have motorhome racing in a figure of 8, but by mid afternoon the skies came over really dark and wouldn’t you know it, just as we were leaving for the speedway, the heavens opened, the rain just pelted it down, so we decided against the speedway and spent the evening enjoying a Chinese buffet. We had promised Cheyne we would try and pick up an RV toilet from the wreckage at the speedway, but that didn’t happen, sorry Cheyne.

The next day, we had planned to visit my aunty and my other cousin Billy and his family. Again we were treated to a nice meal out and after a lengthy chat we had to say our goodbyes, which for me, was quite emotional as I knew it would probably be the last time I see my aunty. The others, we hope to meet again and not in the too distant future. However, Facebook, keeps us in contact until that day arrives.

We left their place and headed towards Niagara Falls, we made it to a Wal-mart car park nearby and spent the night there before making a day of it at Niagara, it didn’t quite work out like that as we had a good lie-in and did some shopping and took a nice leisurely drive around the north of Niagara around the vineyards, what a pleasant area and some gorgeous houses around too. It was time to find a campsite that had wifi as we wanted to book our trip on the Whirlpool Jet Boat, found one the closest to the area we have to board the boat and caught up on some correspondence and also got to book the tour for 11.30 a.m. the next day. We also planned to go on the Maid of the Mist in the afternoon, so we had everything planned for the next day.

There were four ‘had to do’ things on our trip and the Jet Boat was one of them. We arrived in time to get kitted out, all the kit was wet from the jet boat trip the day before, not nice but with the excitement of the upcoming trip and the fact it was a lovely warm day, didn’t seem to matter. All aboard, we headed down towards the falls, this ride does not get near the falls, it sails to the whirlpool area where the swirling water makes for some interesting rapids, some dips were several feet deep. We sailed gently for about 20 minutes before the jet boat was allowed to go at speed due to the banks of the river getting washed away and also the owners with the big houses overlooking the river would be none too pleased. The excitement among us reached high proportions, especially when we hit some of the small rapids, but when the pilot did a 360 degree turn, that’s when the screaming started. We were warned that we WOULD (not might) get wet, and I can assure you, bras, knickers the lot, it missed nowhere, especially when the water comes in torrents over the whole of the boat, not missing anyone. It took my breath away, and not in excitement, the trouble is as soon as one lot hits you, there’s another one. I don’t mind a bit of spray, but I can tell you now if you are just a little shy of water, don’t even try it, as much as I enjoyed it, I was glad when the last dunking was over. Nigel, well, he couldn’t get enough of it. Glad we had the camper with us, as when we got out, it was nice to be able to go inside and change.

We then headed down towards the Niagara Falls town and the falls themselves. We were surprised to say the least that the falls were so near the road, we thought we might have to do a bit of walking and since one of my feet was giving me a bit of trouble, I wasn’t looking forward to the walk. But we found a car park nearby and we sat outside and had some lunch in the glorious sunshine, the sun was so nice we even hung the wet clothes out to dry before we took a short walk to the falls. We were so impressed by the view and closeness of the falls that we didn’t feel the need to take a trip on the other boat ‘Maid of the Mist’ which sails close to the bottom of the falls. We were mesmorised by them, and spent a good couple of hours just watching them and the rainbows they were making right in front of us. Quite often we would feel the spray from them too.

We felt it was too late in the day to head out of Niagara and into the USA which is just over the bridge, that we went to look for another campsite nearby. We changed our minds after going into a couple and them wanting $50.00 for the night, so into the GPS went Wal-mart and we stayed there for the night.

Next morning we went over the bridge into the USA and the customs are pretty hot on you importing fruit and veggies, so we declared them and had heard of people getting pretty hefty fines if they had any, didn’t know what to expect, but he wanted to have a look in the camper to see what we had exactly, when he found the squash and mushrooms in the fridge, Nigel apologised and said were we not supposed to have those either, and he turned around and said, well today, you are, HAVE A NICE DAY! and sent us on our merry way.

We had to decide whether or not we wanted to travel on the Interstate to Chicago via the toll road or not – before we hit the toll bit, we came off at an intersection to get some fuel in the USA as it is much cheaper than Canada. We found a good road out of town which was parallel with highway and kept on that most of the day. That night it was good ole Wal-mart that put us up for the night. We had to get to Chicago to find the beginning of Route 66 and wouldn’t you know it, it is right slap bang in the middle of Chicago, as we don’t do big cities and weren’t looking forward to this at all, we made a decision to hit it at night, so we drove into town early evening and reached our point of destination at around 9 p.m. – the traffic was not as bad as we thought we might get and were pleased to have made this decision. The GPS took us straight to the intersection we needed and we were lucky to find a parking place, not legal, but it would do, I stayed with the truck and Nigel snuck across the busy road and found the beginning and luckily found a nice girl to take some pictures of him.

Without hanging around we headed out on the road we assumed was Route 66, and Nigel wanted to keep going on this road, but unfortunately, it led us into a not so savoury area, it took us straight into ‘black’ streets, Oh! Sorry I meant dark roads, trouble is they had speed bumps which made us slow down and there were a lot of young people on the street corners, probably harmless enough, but gave me the eeby geebies, I can tell you. Eventually we decided to take a turn to the left and find another route out, but we kept coming up against low bridges, didn’t matter which way we turned, eventually we got out and the sweaty palms and palpitations subsided, I wasn’t the only way who felt more at ease I can tell you. We drove until we found a Wal-mart on our route and slept well that night.

So here we were on Route 66, ready to complete this half. We followed the road as much as we could, more so on this half as it was well signed in Illinois, Missouri, Kansas and Oklahoma. We found a lot of the old buildings, neon signs and places of interest left over after the traffic had been taken onto the Interstate away from Route 66.

Before hitting El Reno, where we started our Route 66 expedition, we wanted to find a quiet place to pull up for a couple of days rest. We found that place near to Bristow by a lovely lake – our pitch overlooked the water, we spent a lovely couple of days there and even got a little tanned in the bargain.

We eventually arrived at El Reno, outside the same supermarket we started and after another nights camping we arrived at Nigel’s sisters house having travelled just shy of 17,000 miles. We are not sure if we are sad or glad that our adventure has come to a close.

On our arrival it meant we had just two weeks to get everything sorted before our flights back home. We have to arrange the shipping and buy a few goodies for the camper and truck, all of these are now in hand and it will be good to get back into England knowing everything has gone according to plan – wish us luck.

When we left Texas, the temperature was up in the 90’s and very humid, since we got back it is in the late 70’s, early eighties and glorious, can even sit outside and enjoy it, heaven. Our weather God is still with us.

There is to be another episode of these updates – which will be sent when we are back in England – this will be an overview of ‘Our Road Trip’.

Happy reading

Nigel and Pamala

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Hi Nigel & Pamala,

As usual, a cracking write up, once again making us all wish that we were there with you both........apart from the "dark streets" that is. :winky:

Have a safe journey back to this wild, wet, and windy island that we Brits call home. :roflmto:

Hopefully we'll see you both sometime soon.

Cheers for now,

Jock & Rita.

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Hi Nigel and Pamela,

Great blogs, I bet you must have mixed feelings with it coming to an end.
I have been through that uncomfortable feeling of trying to find your way and trying to find somewhere good to stop (thats the bit I hate).

But you have to put yourself out there to experience everything.

Well done, thanks for sharing it and look forward to reading the overall aspect bit of it.

Pat

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Sundowners thank you for sharing your adventure with the Funsters I have enjoyed reading it:thumb:

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
We wish you luck and a safe journey home.
It has been very interesting reading your blog, hope to see you in the near future.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
what a wonderful start to your retirement. Good luck to you both, don't forget to fillup with fuel before shipping home, hee hee, fuel tank water tank, grey tank, black tank and any other blooming tank. Hee hee.
I look forward to chatting again, and reading the next blog of europe. Thanks for keeping me entertained.

OP
OP
Sundowners

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi all
Just a quick note to say that we have arrived back home--nice to be around our family this side of the pond--but no idea when we will meet our USA family again.
85.F when we left Texas--bit different to weather here !!!
Last post .on this trip to follow
Nigel & Pamala

ehuplad

Free Member
Feb 9, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
Welcome home, :Cool::Cool:

just timed it write around 1deg c tonight a bit of a shock from what you are used to. Can't wait to meet up to get all the tales from the adventure.

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
Bet it's nice to be back home in this lovely cold weather, now you know what you have'nt missed in the UK:rain:

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
Welcome home and we hope to see you soon.

Dale, Graham & Emily

niggle

Banned - Rule 1
Banned
Aug 5, 2010
SOUTH AND FRANCE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
:Eeek::Eeek: loves,,, truck stop,s all have wifi on inter state 35 best on to park at is near [ sanger] texas,, then oklahomer

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back