Our Portuguese Hymer Holiday Tour (1 Viewer)

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Now i hope you are not thinking that that little duck would taste good dressed with orange sauce jj.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
no point in killing the duck ,they lay eggs .but there is a couple of nice pony steaks to be had . bet they would go nice on a bbq.

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
We have made it to the €2.50 parking place at Portimao Marina.

Only been here in winter.

Bit different now!

Cars fill the (tar mac) carpark where motorhomes park in winter but the rest of the vast area has vans on it now.

Frankie loves the (packed) beach a short walk away.

Thanks so much to Lesley and Andrew at the Chicken Run for a great (short) visit, the home grown melons and tomatos. We will be back.

JJ :Cool:

(Not happy about the misleading info re the footy score though Andrew :Sad:)

(ok it was three nil... but... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:)

mfh27748

Free Member
Mar 4, 2008
essex/london
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
since 2008
What do you get for your 2.50 euro,we were there last week with a car (2 euro) left the m/h in the uk ,got back to a deserted stansted last night.we did'nt see ant brit m/h while
we were there,we saw a lot of locals parked by the market ay quarteria abd in the centre
of Portimao.

regards MFH

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
What do you get for your 2.50 euro,we were there last week with a car (2 euro) left the m/h in the uk ,got back to a deserted stansted last night.we did'nt see ant brit m/h while
we were there,we saw a lot of locals parked by the market ay quarteria abd in the centre
of Portimao.

regards MFH

Hi there mfh27748.

I think the "other" place where motorhomes park that you refer to is free. But I am not interested in parking somewhere surrounded by flats etc!

The "Marina" park-up is fenced off and has a hut at the entrance. In the winter the vans park where you parked your car, on the tarmac, because no cars park there. They also can park on the non tarmac area. It is a huge and even with 100's of vans on it you can park well away from anyone else. (At the moment we guess there are about 30.)

I suspect most of the Brits are in the UK now... you don't tend to see them around here this time of year... (not that I go looking for them :Eeek:)

For €2.50 you get a place to park and a place to empty grey and black water. For another €2 you can buy 100 litres of water. The bread lady calls in the morning and yesterday we had a fruit and veg man call in the evening. (Frankie bought black figs and tomatos.)

There is a small bar/cafe in a converted bus on site.

The beach is a short stroll away with a range of restaurants from posh to Pizza Hut.

When I have my breakfast I plan to take some pictures.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
A proper lazy holiday day for us.

No motoring.

Frankie went to the beach.

I pottered in the van and then listened to footy.

Now going to wander around the corner and find a restaurant.

I have a few photos for this post and I will stick the rest in an album.

The location has three sections. At the front is the tarmac area all marked with car park bays. Then the second bit is where the tarmac stops and the third bit is the other side of the hedge. We are in the third bit. I hope this makes the photos more understandable.

Attachments

• Portimao Park Up 4.jpg
    Portimao Park Up 4.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 66
  • Portimao Park Up. Make yourself at home 1.jpg
    Portimao Park Up. Make yourself at home 1.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 68
  • Portimao Park Up 3.jpg
    Portimao Park Up 3.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 68
  • Portimao Park Up 8.jpg
    Portimao Park Up 8.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 66
  • Portimao Park Up Entrance Hut and Bar.jpg
    Portimao Park Up Entrance Hut and Bar.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Make yourself at home! RV

What nationality is it? I just can't believe it!! More fuel for the RV/Eurobox debate!! Is this what you would call an RV wild camp?
I'm all right jack springs to mind..10m x 10m...
What with the vans a Bexhill on sea parking on the main residential road for weeks,even months.....:Doh:...no wonder motorhomes get a bad name:Doh:..Next it will be Portimao Marina closed due to people setting up home on the Marina......its hardly touring in Portugal:Doh: .

Last edited:

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
You will have lots of friends next year

A proper lazy holiday day for us.

No motoring.

Frankie went to the beach.

I pottered in the van and then listened to footy.

Now going to wander around the corner and find a restaurant.

I have a few photos for this post and I will stick the rest in an album.

The location has three sections. At the front is the tarmac area all marked with car park bays. Then the second bit is where the tarmac stops and the third bit is the other side of the hedge. We are in the third bit. I hope this makes the photos more understandable.

JJ and Frankie
Can I just say we are all deeply jealous of the camping sites you have shown us newby's. I hope you realise you will have approx 2000+ motorhome fun friends will be parking like "french men" next year.
MikeD
ps I will be the chap that asked you what colour wine you will have with you steak:thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you should see it in winter that carpark gets overflowing with vans .
from dec till end of feb your luckyu if you can find a place.

Deleted User
you should see it in winter that carpark gets overflowing with vans .
from dec till end of feb your luckyu if you can find a place.

Is that what some people call wild camping!! I'm sure that yourself and JJ would only very reluctantly stay at such a place when crowded::bigsmile:

One of the reasons I prefer sites is that I have my own space and do not go on crowded sites except in emergencies.

Surely the only reason to stay on a crowded car park like that and Vila Real de Santo Antonio is cost.

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
The photos on the post are highly misleading.

I took nine photos but could only post 5.

The others I wanted to put in an album but got stuck because after I had uploaded the first five into the album I failed to find a way to post any more... try as I may. As we were going out to dine at a nice restaurant very close by (one reason for being here) I had to postpone the attempt.

Firstly you won't see the Hymer in the first post photos (unless you look carefully through the "gap" in photo three) because we are parked in the rear section of the HUGE space a long way away from any other (occupied) vans. I would not enjoy staying in a line with others as you see in the first photos.

Secondly I have visited here (briefly) for the last three years and have always been able to park well away from the crowds if I so chose.

This spot was carefully chosen for several reasons... I have already mentioned the restaurants... then there is the beach... Frankie loves beaches and the sea... and shops... and there is a great laundrette in the nearby marina with a huge fully automatic machine.

I hope this helps explain why we are here... and now more pics...

Attachments

• Portimao Park Up 1.jpg
    Portimao Park Up 1.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 113
  • Portimao Park Up 2.jpg
    Portimao Park Up 2.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 64
  • Portimao Park Up 9.jpg
    Portimao Park Up 9.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 66
  • Frankie by Portimao Beach.jpg
    Frankie by Portimao Beach.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 70
  • Portimao Park Up 6.jpg
    Portimao Park Up 6.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
That's one hell of a big windbreaker you have got there JJ.......:Eeek:

Broken Link Removed

How long does that take to roll up and fit back in the Hymer?:RollEyes::RollEyes:

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Is that what some people call wild camping!! I'm sure that yourself and JJ would only very reluctantly stay at such a place when crowded::bigsmile:

One of the reasons I prefer sites is that I have my own space and do not go on crowded sites except in emergencies.

[HI]Surely the only reason to stay on a crowded car park like that and Vila Real de Santo Antonio is cost.[/HI]

I refer you to an answer I gave earlier...

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
That's one hell of a big windbreaker you have got there JJ.......:Eeek:

How long does that take to roll up and fit back in the Hymer?:RollEyes::RollEyes:

A windbreak :Eeek:

I would rather been seen in the Stretford End with a Red shirt on than with a windbreak!

No, no, no... that is not a windbreak... that is so we vanners don't have our view spoilt by having to look out at the ugly millionaire yachts and all those posh sailing women folk. If you don't understand ask Popeye... he knows what I am talking about... We don't want those boaty lot over here with us... :ROFLMAO:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi. i dont stay there . actually not many places on the algarve i do like . just stop at some places to meet and see folk . i prefer the west coast . but its not everyones cuppa.
there are places chocka block yet not far away a nice peacefull place to park. bit like the baragems some get invaded others hardly anyone there.
heres two pics same village furadouro below porto .one side of village campers every where .we went through the town and found this deserted carpark all to our selves .plus toilets and a water tap .and a cheap bar right by the carpark full of locals and we had a good time .
some just dont look properly.think we found it by walking the first night .

Attachments

• Spain and Portugal 09 - 10 456.jpg
    Spain and Portugal 09 - 10 456.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 53
  • Spain and Portugal 09 - 10 461.jpg
    Spain and Portugal 09 - 10 461.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 50
Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010

I would rather been seen in the Stretford End with a Red shirt on than with a windbreak!

No, no, no... that is not a windbreak... that is so we vanners don't have our view spoilt by having to look out at the ugly millionaire yachts and all those posh sailing women folk. If you don't understand ask Popeye... he knows what I am talking about... We don't want those boaty lot over here with us... :ROFLMAO:

There's nothing wrong with windbreaks at all, as long as that is what they are used for, a four or five panel break alongside your unit gives you the opportunity to sit outside your van without the wind turning the pages before you have finished the page you were reading, however.....some people, and it seems to me to be a southern thing, love to put multiple amounts of breaks right around the perimeter of 'their pitch', unsociable or what!!:Doh:

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
There's nothing wrong with windbreaks at all, as long as that is what they are used for, a four or five panel break alongside your unit gives you the opportunity to sit outside your van [HI]without the wind turning the pages before you have finished the page you were reading,[/HI] however.....some people, and it seems to me to be a southern thing, love to put multiple amounts of breaks right around the perimeter of 'their pitch', unsociable or what!!:Doh:

Kindle Young Man... Kindle

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Kindle Young Man... Kindle

The kindle, of which I am a proud and thankful owner of is a fine bit of kit, but doesn't give the sports (football) reports on a Sunday morning the same as the red tops do:RollEyes:

Oh thanks for the complimentary 'young man' I'm sure it was not patronising but I think I can give you a couple of years

Last edited:
OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
The kindle, of which I am a proud and thankful owner of is a fine bit of kit, but doesn't give the sports (football) reports on a Sunday morning the same as the red tops do:RollEyes:

Oh thanks for the complimentary 'young man' [HI]I'm sure it was not patronising [/HI]but I think I can give you a couple of years

Certainly not meant to be patronising Tony... I have no idea how old you are... I just assume everyone is younger than me these days... all the people I see in my everyday life are...:ROFLMAO:

As for "Red Tops"... I would rather swim naked backwards through a lake filled with snapping turtles to the tune of "My Dingaling" by Chuck Berry than even glimpse at a "Red Top"... :winky:

You can, however, flip through the pages of the Indy every day on your Kindle should you so choose... I used to... :thumb:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Certainly not meant to be patronising Tony... I have no idea how old you [HI]are... I just assume everyone is younger than me these days... all the people I see in mry everyday life are...[/HI]:ROFLMAO:

As for "Red Tops"... I would rather swim naked backwards through a lake filled with snapping turtles to the tune of "My Dingaling" by Chuck Berry than even glimpse at a "Red Top"... :winky:

You can, however, flip through the pages of the Indy every day on your Kindle should you so choose... I used to... :thumb:

That sounds very familiar JJ:RollEyes:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983

No, no, no... that is not a windbreak... that is so we vanners don't have our view spoilt by having to look out at the ugly millionaire yachts and all those [HI]posh sailing women[/HI] folk. If you don't understand ask Popeye... he knows what I am talking about... We don't want those boaty lot over here with us... :ROFLMAO:

Just to encourage you to keep those windbreaks erect, this is the ugly scene on the other side.

I have not yet encountered 'totty' Posh or not, sunbathing on the bonnet of a motorhome, RV or camper-van, maybe I should get out more.

The last couple of days has seen summer arrive in the UK JJ, this is what it looked like.
:Blush:
Broken Link Removed

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
What nationality is it? I just can't believe it!! More fuel for the RV/Eurobox debate!! Is this what you would call an RV wild camp?
I'm all right jack springs to mind..10m x 10m...
What with the vans a Bexhill on sea parking on the main residential road for weeks,even months.....:Doh:...no wonder motorhomes get a bad name:Doh:..Next it will be Portimao Marina closed due to people setting up home on the Marina......its hardly touring in Portugal:Doh: .

He is waiting for one of these..

Link Removed

Deleted User
JJ & Vwalan

I was not having a dig at either of you, as I tried to say earlier I would not have thought either of you, purely from reading your posts, would voluntarily stay on anywhere as crowded as these sort of places get in the winter. I can see the attraction of the aire at Portimao marina as it is in your photo's, I would be tempted myself if I had a suitable set up, but in winter when full?? :thumb:

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I was not having a dig at either of you, as I tried to say earlier I would not have thought either of you, purely from reading your posts, would voluntarily stay on anywhere as crowded as these sort of places get in the winter. I can see the attraction of the aire at Portimao marina as it is in your photo's, I would be tempted myself if I had a suitable set up, [HI]but in winter when full??[/HI] :thumb:

Once again I have failed to express myself clearly...

I have visited this site occasionally during the last three "winters" and it has always been possible to park somewhere on it where you are on your own. Those who like to park all together do so and those who don't don't. (Just like right now.)

It has never got "full"... busier sometimes... quieter at other times but "full" never (yet.)

You are right... it is not my usual choice of location when on my own but if I want to visit friends who are here or use it as a base so Frankie can visit the beach and shops etc then so be it. :thumb:

Motorhoming = Freedom of choice.

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
The photos on the post are highly misleading.

I took nine photos but could only post 5.

The others I wanted to put in an album but got stuck because after I had uploaded the first five into the album I failed to find a way to post any more... try as I may. As we were going out to dine at a nice restaurant very close by (one reason for being here) I had to postpone the attempt.

Firstly you won't see the Hymer in the first post photos (unless you look carefully through the "gap" in photo three) because we are parked in the rear section of the HUGE space a long way away from any other (occupied) vans. I would not enjoy staying in a line with others as you see in the first photos.

Secondly I have visited here (briefly) for the last three years and have always been able to park well away from the crowds if I so chose.

This spot was carefully chosen for several reasons... I have already mentioned the restaurants... then there is the beach... Frankie loves beaches and the sea... and shops... and there is a great laundrette in the nearby marina with a huge fully automatic machine.

I hope this helps explain why we are here... and now more pics...

Who copied me with the smiley face on the Sat. dish !:Angry::Angry::Angry:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
hi. i dont stay there . actually not many places on the algarve i do like . just stop at some places to meet and see folk . i prefer the west coast . but its not everyones cuppa.
there are places chocka block yet not far away a nice peacefull place to park. bit like the baragems some get invaded others hardly anyone there.
heres two pics same village furadouro below porto .one side of village campers every where .we went through the town and found this deserted carpark all to our selves .plus toilets and a water tap .and a cheap bar right by the carpark full of locals and we had a good time .
some just dont look properly.think we found it by walking the first night .

Perhaps the crowds were put off by the difficulty in levelling :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Got going quite early (for us) today.

Filled up with water... (€2 for 110 litres)

Then off to visit Siives Castle.

After lunch we are heading back towards Lisboa...

JJ

Attachments

• Silves Castle 1.jpg
    Silves Castle 1.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 45
  • Silves Castle 2.jpg
    Silves Castle 2.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 44

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Please keep sending nice piccies as you are begining to colour our thinking.

We could not decide if we should spend winter in Spain or Portugal but you have almost made us decide on Portugal.

Lots of info required please :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Flexibilty.

One of the great things motorhoming gives you.

We planned (!) to spend tonight at the site we found the other day at Alcacer... it was the pool and the proximity of the supermarket that formed the basis for this decision.

So after the visit to the wonderful Silves Castle and a spot of lunch in the Ingles Cafe just outside the walls, we headed off for Alcacer. 178 kms.

I am sorry to be boring but it was (and still is) a very hot day (and night.) Very, very hot...

As we dawdled up the N1 we talked of the cool, blue waters of the swimming pool which TomTom calculated we would be swimming in at 6.00pm.

No Room At The Inn :cry:

Of course we could still use the pool even though the campsite was full but it sounded pretty crowded so we switched to plan B and, after a quick supermarket shop, we headed for the lake at Pego 12 kms away.

Arrived... parked... and straight into the cooling lake, the water of which is now even lower than the last time we were here. Fabulous. We were alone in the water.

The parking "space" only had one other van but as we started to settle down another van arrived and parked quite near and unloaded three people and a barking dog. One of the people was a mobile phone using man with a loud phone voice.

After a short time we had had enough and have now re-positioned ourselves close to the water side and completely on our own.

If this was January we would be under the water.

Let's hope it doesn't rain too much tonight

Photos to follow.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back