Our new toad (1 Viewer)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Bought a toad today ready for the upcoming season.. Wee Toyota IQ automatic... Collecting it tomorrow.. Then its off to Towbars 2 towcars to have the frame kit fitted.

Please I know all the pros and cons but I do have an ill wife to cater for when we are away and this is the only real option for us .... So again please I dont need to be told off....(y):D

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
You have to go with what suits you and yours good luck it looks a nice little motor,my only thought is can you tow an automatic?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Nice one. But a thought, it used to be that autos couldn't be towed due to damage to torque converter, has that all changed now Charlie?

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
Enjoy it Charlie. Anything that makes it easier for your wife is great(y)
Oh is that a bit of dust on it:LOL: needs a good detailer.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Its a CVT automatic so towing it is fine.

The Aygo is also one of the cars that can be towed with an automatic gearbox, The Smart car is another.. There are not many cars with auto gearboxes that can be towed so the choice was rather limited. I like Toyotas so the natural choice was to stick with the brand.
I spoke at length with Graham at Towbars 2 Towcars and he advised me the IQ is built like a tank and the best wee car for a toad.. (y)(y)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Its a CVT automatic so towing it is fine.

The Aygo is also one of the cars that can be towed with an automatic gearbox, The Smart car is another.. There are not many cars with auto gearboxes that can be towed so the choice was rather limited. I like Toyotas so the natural choice was to stick with the brand.
I spoke at length with Graham at Towbars 2 Towcars and he advised me the IQ is built like a tank and the best wee car for a toad.. (y)(y)
Good on yer.......... (y)

Fiat Panda auto is a robotised manual so OK to tow as well. We have had no issues with our Fiesta and the Unibrake system; it all works very well - hope that the excellent towbar to tow car system gives you similar service. Cheers!!

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Are you absolutely sure about the CVT gearbox being alright to tow. I have a vehicle with a CVT and it always turns the gearbox it is just the pulleys do not engage the engine drive shaft, all the rest turn all the time it moves.
I think you should get proper confirmation from the manufacturers not a garage. Smart cars after a certain model can burn out the gearbox being towed for the same reason.
I hope that you DO NOT intend to take it to Spain now they have clarified the situation about the Law there prohibiting towing.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
there are very few automatics these days that have a torque converter so towing is no issue... looks a nice car.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Are you absolutely sure about the CVT gearbox being alright to tow. I have a vehicle with a CVT and it always turns the gearbox it is just the pulleys do not engage the engine drive shaft, all the rest turn all the time it moves.
I think you should get proper confirmation from the manufacturers not a garage. Smart cars after a certain model can burn out the gearbox being towed for the same reason.
I hope that you DO NOT intend to take it to Spain now they have clarified the situation about the Law there prohibiting towing.

As above I know the pros and cons plus where I can tow and where not... Please let's not degenerate this thread into another love hate debate.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
As above I know the pros and cons plus where I can tow and where not... Please let's not degenerate this thread into another love hate debate.
Spoil sport ... I hate you :mad: ... but then again sometimes I love you too .... :love:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
That's a really nice little car, and if it does what you want that's all that matters. (y)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
That's fine with me, do just as you like. I was just pointing out that some gearboxes with CVT might just run too fast for the mechanicals to take it, only when being pulled. Another thing is that unless you know how to dis,able the electronic steering lock it may well come on and lock the steering after a set time leaving it locked when you go around a bend.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
That's fine with me, do just as you like. I was just pointing out that some gearboxes with CVT might just run too fast for the mechanicals to take it, only when being pulled. Another thing is that unless you know how to dis,able the electronic steering lock it may well come on and lock the steering after a set time leaving it locked when you go around a bend.

The steering locks come on automatically after one hour even if the key is in the ignition which of course it has to be . A switch is put in place to disable the function. Same switch disables the car so until the switch is turned on again the car will not start.. (y)

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Very nice its what suits you and it's nothing to to with anyone else enjoy

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
When we were looking at a car to tow, the toyota dealer said that the Aygo auto was ok, but the IQ was NOT, this was about 4 yrs ago, so I would check again if I were you.
Cheers, Dave(y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Am I right in thinking they don't make the IQ now?

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Am I right in thinking they don't make the IQ now?

Toyota built the IQ in order to get within emissions targets across the range of cars. They stopped making them because they fulfilled the targets with the new Hybrid Auris.. Plus they lost money on each unit because despite the high list prices the cars were so expensive to build.

Latest cars registered were 2104 . Our one is a 2012.

Judge. You can only buy a used one. I saw a 2014 auto for 9k. which is quite strong money. But it had less than 1000 miles on the clock.

2009 and 2010 ones are about 4 to 5 K this is for a manual IQ 1. 2011 and 2012 cars are more like 6 to 6.5K .. This is for an IQ2. The vary latest IQ3s of which there are few cost 7 to 9 K.

Autos are about 1K more than a manual and very hard to find if you want a really nice one.

These cars are huge in the front ! Gubber all in the back but way bigger than a Smart ! If the passenger seat is forward it would be easy to get even a big passenger in the back. Same on the drivers side but Im 6.4 so it wont happen for us.
Seats are huge and incredibly comfortable !! They are also high and the huge doors mean getting in and out even for a disabled person is easy !

Autos are 20 VED a year and do 55 MPG .. Manuals are 0 VED and do 65 MPG.

On the motorway these cars will sit very easily at 70 MPH with just over 2,000 RPM . They are extremely quiet and ride quality is exceptional. All these things were considerations I had to make with my wife's condition in mind. (n)(n)(n)

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Nice car well done.
Don't listen to the negative doom n gloom merchants we towed an auto for over 50000 miles no problems what so ever.
We carry a 650 Kawasaki in the garage you wouldn't believe how many people say it can't be done.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back