Our New (to us) Hymer has a phantom tracker (1 Viewer)

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Hi All,
Our New (to us) Hymer has a phantom tracker already fitted. We pick up the van in a week so do not have any detailed info yet but what are the thoughts. Our insurance in France does not require one so it is for our peace of mind only. The van will be in France permanently so is a Phantom worth while? Can we actually take over the device? Would it be better and cheaper to forget it and get an @eddievanbitz tracker and growler alarm fitted instead. I don't know any details of the alarm either yet, the design of the van was more important than the fitted accessories. Do Hymer fit alarms as standard, it's a Star Edition B614SL Hymer. If so how good are they? Eddie I have heard is fully booked at the moment so it would have to be done later in the year when we visit the UK again.
Searching on-line the Phantom seems to have mixed reviews and being permanently in Europe, Police here may not respond to tracking from a UK tracker but Eddies one or similar where you can just point to a web page may be taken more seriously.
Anybody with Good or Bad experience of the Phantom and perhaps the alarm if it is a standard factory fitment who could give some comments would be most welcome. Especially anybody who has bought a van second-hand with a Phantom already fitted with regard to taking it over.
We will also sadly be soon selling our beloved LeVoyageur "A" class on Mercedes Chassis with SprintShift please P.M. me if interested. I will be putting an add in Classified on here soon.
Thanks for reading.
Steve

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I had or rather have a Phantom tracker. When originally fitted, the 'secret' switch was the first thing seen as you opened the door. It couldn't have been more obvious than having a sign saying Phantom tracker switch. Their solution was to fit an identical switch opposite so it might confuse!!!!!
Anyway, couple of times I set off without disarming and got a call from them.
However, I was once walking merrily in Margate and they phoned me to say my vehicle tracker had been activated. I rushed back to the car park and there it was as I'd left it an hour back. I phoned Phantom and they said well its in Margate. I agreed and told them I'd forgotten to disarm 7 hours previously and that's fantastic service. 7 hours!!!!!!
In that time, it could have been abroad. Incidentally, I live in Manchester.
When the renewal came, I didn't like the yearly or 5 yearly cost so its now fitted but not activated.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
There was one on our van when we bought it in 2012 so we took over the contract, initially for one year as we were unsure whether we would keep the van. The following year we took up the 5 year option. We, too, have received calls after forgetting to disarm the system, not always as quickly as one might expect but nowhere near 7 hours. Having a tracker is an endorsement on our current insurance so presumably that means we get some discount for it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Hi,
Thanks for the replies. After reading in many places I get the impression that the Phantom 24 hr tracking unit is one lady in her kitchen and if she has to go out shopping then there will not be a report until she comes home and notices that a tracker somewhere has activated.
Perhaps technology has moved on now and the self monitored unit is the way to go. After all the cost of one year monitoring could easily buy an e-bay unit or for a bit more an @eddievanbitz unit.
As French insurance don't demand one or even give a discount.
Steve

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Our story is roughly the same as @GJH except that when they have called us it has been very prompt, I don't know about insurance discount, sometimes they want the tracker servicing every year which can cost more than any discount.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back