our new awning (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we have (had) a 5.5 metre long Omnistore awning, it was already fitted when we bought this motorhome, but don't think I would buy as long an awning if starting from scratch

for reasons I am not completely sure about, we ended up with a bent front rail which then would properly close away

possible reasons

hanging the Kampa Air awning on the front then winding in, my favourite excuse

over enthusiastic strapping down with ratchets straps due to phobia of wind damage, more likely

we decided to change the wind out awning, so when down in the New Forest went to Rose Awnings in Poole due to numerous positive recommendations, we possibly expected a bigger showroom, but saw enough and based on very knowledgeable guidance opted for a new wind out the same size as existing to avoid the need to fit a new rail

Bev then moved on to the safari rooms they had on display, we already have the Kampa as mentioned above, which I do feel puts a big strain on the wind out while attaching, there is no option other than to wind it out far enough to reach up to the front rail, then haul it back in like some kind of deep sea trawler

our old awning had a aluminium strip to attach to, this had sharp edges and has torn along the canvas beading to the awning making it very hard to slide into the rail and rendering it unused, which I think it will stay, will either sell on as it is or get repaired and sell

the new awning has plastic covered rails so would not be the same issue anyway, but would still have the weight to drag up on a plastic winding mechanism

now Bev really likes her awning (full one not just wind out) and would swap back to caravanning at the first option so she can go back to more space on site, so being a soft sod, or well beaten, agree to buying a full safari room for the new awning

all had to be ordered so deposit paid and we left, Rose Awnings had offered to bring it all up to us in Derbyshire to fit and demonstrate (y) hopefully in January due to our trip to France in Feb

Due to other commitments for them they couldn't get up, but that would have always been a bonus so we agreed to go to them last month. Terry had our old awning so I now already knew how relatively easily they come on and off, scarily so when I realised 2 out of 6 self tapping fixings were missing on ours

Last weekend in Jan we drove down, fitting the awning took all of 30 minutes, then they had to connect the awning light, which meant some dismantling inside to get to the wiring, then they cut to length a full length skirt and attached suckers. We then had a demonstration inside on how to set it all up on their demo unit inside. Partly because there wasn't room outside, it was only just above freezing and blowing a decent breeze.

So, fitted and sort of demonstrated we toddled off to a site in the New Forest to play for real, too dark when we got there, so left till morning

wound awning out and a securing bracket dropped down, not attached where it should be :( carried on at it wasn't windy that fitting wouldn't matter, put up the first side panel of the safari room and a screw insert wasn't fitted :(, again only a support pole and it wasn't staying up so we carried on, slightly disappointed. Rang Rose Awnings for advice, he asked for photos saying he had too much on to pop out to us today, a little disappointing as we intentionally stayed fairly close in case we had an issue and could go back if needed, but John said he would need to order a new part for the missing fitting anyway

we had a couple of other minor annoyances and agreed to send an email with photos

did this and agreed to meet up while we were at Vanbitz for the alarm, John agreeing to come over to us so we could then go to France with a fully operational awning

they turned up and got straight on with it, frost still on the ground around -2C, support arm attached, this meant dismantling the front corner, but looks easy when you know what you are doing, a new pole due to missing fitting, then a demonstration of how it all works

This in turn removed our other concerns which were partly due to not being fully assembled due to missing bits, but mainly I think the disappointment of it being faulty on arrival, so frustrating for a top of the range product, but then equally frustrating for the suppliers who would expect the same as we did

But all sorted, even a few points we made referred back to Thule who agreed to most comments, even supplying an extra pole bag, a total nonsense though, the pole bag provided for 90% of the poles isn't long enough for 2 of the support poles o_O so they would have to travel loose :( Thule make a bag perfectly suited, we now have one and Rose Awnings will be supplying one with all large awnings fitted

One last twist, the roof support rail didn't fit, luckily too long, even more luckily Rose were there with a fully equipped van, cut off 50mm and remade, all now OK

To prove it here it is erected at Twin Lakes where we are now, not quite a centrally heated conservatory, but much more room and a very content Bev :):)(y)(y) and we have an awning that now winds away easily and fully without needing a prod to lift it in the middle and then still didn't locate fully at either ends very content David (y)

IMG_1983.JPG

IMG_1984.JPG

I am not pleased with the look of the centre support post on the outside, but have been told they are essential due to all the weight which makes sense, due to the length of our awning I feel it needs 2 poles anyway, so another has been ordered, which will then fit more 'correctly' where there are splits in the skirt and by the wider fabric areas so not as visible from inside (y)

the beer was my reward for being a dutiful husband :)(y)

£3800 complete, not to sure on the actual split between wind out awning and safari room but pretty much 50 / 50 I seem to recall

Top marks to Rose Awnings, John Rose and Dan his son (I think), really put themselves out, have great pride in their work and good old fashioned customer care (y)(y)

Oh and a 10% funster discount (y)(y):):)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
May I ask how long it takes to put up ?

first time out of the box today, we had been shown how it worked but never actually done it

awning and all sides up in half an hour, then almost same again to peg it all down, but that involved making all the tie down fittings

I reckon with some practice we will be done in 40 minutes, I am not the fan, Bev is, but for a stay on a site of more than a night or 2 it would be worth it, some rallies it would have been (will now be) nice to have (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
We to had safari awning from John and must say he was excellent and again we stayed local to ensure all was ok as were from Plymouth.

However, due to weight of this material we changed for the air beam, no comparison between weight, wouldn't go back to safari room now their making these Airbeam awnings which have sides that really keep you enclosed.
Don't find that it pulls on awning wind out.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
we have (had) a 5.5 metre long Omnistore awning, it was already fitted when we bought this motorhome, but don't think I would buy as long an awning if starting from scratch

for reasons I am not completely sure about, we ended up with a bent front rail which then would properly close away

possible reasons

over enthusiastic strapping down with ratchets straps due to phobia of wind damage, more likely

we decided to change the wind out awning, so when down in the New Forest went to Rose Awnings in Poole due to numerous positive recommendations, we possibly expected a bigger showroom, but saw enough and based on very knowledgeable guidance opted for a new wind out the same size as existing to avoid the need to fit a new rail

Bev then moved on to the safari rooms they had on display, we already have the Kampa as mentioned above, which I do feel puts a big strain on the wind out while attaching, there is no option other than to wind it out far enough to reach up to the front rail, then haul it back in like some kind of deep sea trawler

our old awning had a aluminium strip to attach to, this had sharp edges and has torn along the canvas beading to the awning making it very hard to slide into the rail and rendering it unused, which I think it will stay, will either sell on as it is or get repaired and sell

the new awning has plastic covered rails so would not be the same issue anyway, but would still have the weight to drag up on a plastic winding mechanism

now Bev really likes her awning (full one not just wind out) and would swap back to caravanning at the first option so she can go back to more space on site, so being a soft sod, or well beaten, agree to buying a full safari room for the new awning

all had to be ordered so deposit paid and we left, Rose Awnings had offered to bring it all up to us in Derbyshire to fit and demonstrate (y) hopefully in January due to our trip to France in Feb

Due to other commitments for them they couldn't get up, but that would have always been a bonus so we agreed to go to them last month. Terry had our old awning so I now already knew how relatively easily they come on and off, scarily so when I realised 2 out of 6 self tapping fixings were missing on ours

Last weekend in Jan we drove down, fitting the awning took all of 30 minutes, then they had to connect the awning light, which meant some dismantling inside to get to the wiring, then they cut to length a full length skirt and attached suckers. We then had a demonstration inside on how to set it all up on their demo unit inside. Partly because there wasn't room outside, it was only just above freezing and blowing a decent breeze.

So, fitted and sort of demonstrated we toddled off to a site in the New Forest to play for real, too dark when we got there, so left till morning

wound awning out and a securing bracket dropped down, not attached where it should be :( carried on at it wasn't windy that fitting wouldn't matter, put up the first side panel of the safari room and a screw insert wasn't fitted :(, again only a support pole and it wasn't staying up so we carried on, slightly disappointed. Rang Rose Awnings for advice, he asked for photos saying he had too much on to pop out to us today, a little disappointing as we intentionally stayed fairly close in case we had an issue and could go back if needed, but John said he would need to order a new part for the missing fitting anyway

we had a couple of other minor annoyances and agreed to send an email with photos

did this and agreed to meet up while we were at Vanbitz for the alarm, John agreeing to come over to us so we could then go to France with a fully operational awning

they turned up and got straight on with it, frost still on the ground around -2C, support arm attached, this meant dismantling the front corner, but looks easy when you know what you are doing, a new pole due to missing fitting, then a demonstration of how it all works

This in turn removed our other concerns which were partly due to not being fully assembled due to missing bits, but mainly I think the disappointment of it being faulty on arrival, so frustrating for a top of the range product, but then equally frustrating for the suppliers who would expect the same as we did

But all sorted, even a few points we made referred back to Thule who agreed to most comments, even supplying an extra pole bag, a total nonsense though, the pole bag provided for 90% of the poles isn't long enough for 2 of the support poles o_O so they would have to travel loose :( Thule make a bag perfectly suited, we now have one and Rose Awnings will be supplying one with all large awnings fitted

One last twist, the roof support rail didn't fit, luckily too long, even more luckily Rose were there with a fully equipped van, cut off 50mm and remade, all now OK

To prove it here it is erected at Twin Lakes where we are now, not quite a centrally heated conservatory, but much more room and a very content Bev :):)(y)(y) and we have an awning that now winds away easily and fully without needing a prod to lift it in the middle and then still didn't locate fully at either ends very content David (y)

View attachment 147611

View attachment 147612

I am not pleased with the look of the centre support post on the outside, but have been told they are essential due to all the weight which makes sense, due to the length of our awning I feel it needs 2 poles anyway, so another has been ordered, which will then fit more 'correctly' where there are splits in the skirt and by the wider fabric areas so not as visible from inside (y)

£3800 complete, not to sure on the actual split between wind out awning and safari room but pretty much 50 / 50 I seem to recall

Top marks to Rose Awnings, John Rose and Dan his son (I think), really put themselves out, have great pride in their work and good old fashioned customer care (y)(y)

WoooHooo party tent(y)

Martin

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Sl

possible reasons

View attachment 147611

View attachment 147612

slumming it at twin lakes ..jealous ??? Not me ...sob. Enjoy

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
The safari room is great when it is all up on the van BUT we are getting on a bit and gave up on ours 2 years ago (4.5m version) as it was becoming to heavy for us to manage. It was a special order to fit the 1992 S700 Hymer which is extra high, so we need two step ladders while fitting it.

Beware strong winds as the sides can blow in past the stops, in the fixed part of the canopy. We have two pieces of wood that fit between the arms and the rafter side attachments.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
The safari room is great when it is all up on the van BUT we are getting on a bit and gave up on ours 2 years ago (4.5m version) as it was becoming to heavy for us to manage. It was a special order to fit the 1992 S700 Hymer which is extra high, so we need two step ladders while fitting it.

Beware strong winds as the sides can blow in past the stops, in the fixed part of the canopy. We have two pieces of wood that fit between the arms and the rafter side attachments.

I believe they have made a few changes for this years model, the side top rail clamps the wind out canvas, which in turn is pinned in place by winding the awning back in to tension the whole structure

the whole lot weighs quite a bit in the bags, but each piece and panel of fabric is quite light

we may well not use ours much, but Bev wanted one :)(y)

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I now have a reason to ensure that we arrive before you, so I can get comfortable, with a clear view of the '@DavidG58 Awning show', 40 minutes of fun fun fun.
(viewer discretion advised due to bad language and flash photography)

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Great post from the op.
I too thought that the awning was taking a lot of strain winding it in and put with the Kampa Air on.. bought a small allu ladder stand (about 2ft tall and 3ft long) and can stand comfortably on that and thread the awning on without opening the fiamma.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
a few photos of the bracing pieces and the side beams which clamp the roof canvas, not sure how many of these are new features, if any, but it has certainly done well here, todays wind speeds are 50 + mph gusts and apart from the external skirt pegs which are nothing more than smooth pins, everything else is holding up well

but I will be pleased to see it down later today when the winds drop (y)

IMG_1991.JPG

IMG_1992.JPG

IMG_1993.JPG

IMG_1994.JPG

the clamped roof section, although this is now just starting to let go, :( has been a little extreme though

last feature, the new full length awning light (y)

IMG_1995.JPG

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
a few photos of the bracing pieces and the side beams which clamp the roof canvas, not sure how many of these are new features, if any, but it has certainly done well here, todays wind speeds are 50 + mph gusts and apart from the external skirt pegs which are nothing more than smooth pins, everything else is holding up well

View attachment 147741

View attachment 147742

View attachment 147743

View attachment 147744

the clamped roof section, although this is now just starting to let go, :( has been a little extreme though

View attachment 147745
I like the light(y)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I now have a reason to ensure that we arrive before you, so I can get comfortable, with a clear view of the '@DavidG58 Awning show', 40 minutes of fun fun fun.
(viewer discretion advised due to bad language and flash photography)
40 minutes, are you starting half way through or do you bore easily :LOL:

Martin

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Where's the fun in that:LOL::LOL:
Obviously it would be a struggle not helping and offering assistance, we would have to fight our natural charitable instincts. But if a group of us got together and encouraged each other I'm sure we could restrain ourselves.

And think of the sense of achievement on completion. In reality, I think you would have so many helping hands and useful suggestions that it will probably take twice as long (y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I can't see much alcohol being shared amongst some of you when we celebrate a new speed record :)(y)

I was going to include the word erection in the last sentence but it could rather change the whole meaning :unsure:

Well the wind stopped tis afternoon just like someone had turned it off, but at the same instant it started to rain o_O but decided to put it away anyway, we can unwind it over the next couple of days to dry out fully, hopefully in the morning

1/2 hour from going out of the door to coming back in for a drink, all pegs cleaned, poles in right bag, canvas neatly folded in the other bag and awning wound away (y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
It won't be the first on offer for about 10% of cost.

They are fantastic if you park up by the week.

even a wet weekend rally will do for us, you will be very welcome to shelter under for a while :)(y)

or maybe even avoid the glare of the sun (y)(y)

BTW your offer is refused :LOL::LOL:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
even a wet weekend rally will do for us, you will be very welcome to shelter under for a while :)(y)

I hope we don't take you up on the offer in Chester.

I guess we could have a race, see who can get it up fastest.

We did pay not much more than 10% for ours.

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012

View attachment 147741

View attachment 147742

View attachment 147743

View attachment 147744

View attachment 147745
Hi @DavidG58 , your 2nd picture down showing the inside corner of the safari room, if you look at the angled piece of aluminium (only short) which goes from the arm to the front box there is a thumb turn, make sure you turn it 90 degrees so the red dot appears, this locks it in place but don't forget to unlock it before winding it in (y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hi @DavidG58 , your 2nd picture down showing the inside corner of the safari room, if you look at the angled piece of aluminium (only short) which goes from the arm to the front box there is a thumb turn, make sure you turn it 90 degrees so the red dot appears, this locks it in place but don't forget to unlock it before winding it in (y)

I knew one of you would spot that :)

but with the safari room attached you do not use that lock option, only when out on its own, the side bars are braced against the front doing a much better job, the position of those locks actually moves by about 1" and they will not engage with the safari room fitted (y)

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time

View attachment 147741

View attachment 147742

View attachment 147743

View attachment 147744

View attachment 147745

Apart from the name on the front nothing seems to have changed for our 2007 model.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back