May 22, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Tstar680
Exp
I'm a newbie
A big thank you Carol for starting this thread...:thumb:
London is not somewhere I would have even considered visiting with the motorhome:Doh:
This has really whetted my appetite and is something we will definitely have to do in the future now!!!:Smile:

Jane

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Could be a tad late but given the chance do give the Thames Clipper a try. Many stops along the river, has bar on board and not over expensive. Full day roamer ticket for under twenty quid and you can hop on and off all day. London always looks good from the river. The Clipper web site tells all.:thumb:

Last edited:

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Another Thought

This might be a bit late as well. If you have an Iphone (not sure about Android) then a brilliant App to download is - 'Citymapper'

It makes navigating around London a doddle using buses, trams, rail and undergound or even walking if you so desire. Best of all it's free. :Smile:

Rob

p.s. Just thought it worth mentioning that the App gives you the cost of journeys and assumes you have an Oyster Card.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Carol

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Thanks Rob, Ed has got a Blackberry so he is checking up, have to say with all the help we are getting from you and others we are getting quite confident, think we are staying until 2nd June, so we keep hatching more plans of things to do.

Have to say over the last few years in the mortohome we have been to Paris/Rome/Athens/Marrakesh why we have not done London before we don't know but it won't be the last time we are really enjoying it.

Apps Farm is working out great for us, but we are using our own shower and Loo, although they have them they are updating them and because we are literally on the side of the Thames away from the main site best to use our own facilities. that said could not be in a better place, with not been able to go into the LEZ zone.

We do appreciate the help the Funsters are giving us.::bigsmile:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
that said could not be in a better place, with not been able to go into the LEZ zone.

Thanks Carol & Eddie,

That's exactly why we don't visit London any more either, (ie, £200 a shot for entering/leaving the LEZ), but info like yours might well encourage us to try again, but outside.

Cheers,

Jock & Rita.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Glad you are having a fabulous time.

Shame you cant stay a bit longer -

1st June - GB Row, 15 boats in a 2,000 mile race - starts at Tower Bridge on 1st June. Chasing a bounty of £100,000, crews of two, four or eight oarsmen and women will brave treacherous tides and some of the most dangerous shipping lanes on the planet as they row non-stop and unassisted from London, around Land's End, up to John o' Groats and back to the capital.

On 2nd June theres a gun salute -At the Tower of London, the salute is fired by the Honourable Artillery Company at 1.00 pm 2 June (Coronation Day)

The Queen, The Duke of Edinburgh, and other Members of the Royal Family will attend a Service to celebrate the 60th Anniversary of the Coronation Service on Tuesday 4 June at 11am at Westminster Abbey

Then theres trooping the colour 15 June with rehearsals usually carried out the two saturdays beforehand.

London Zoo is open of an evening from 1st June - details of the night's entertainment depends on which night you go so you might get improvised comedy in the aquarium, Twisted Cabaret in the amphitheatre, a Silent Disco or a street food festival. They also encourage you to bring out your inner-animal with the facepainting, animal masks and silly outfits provided. But the real stars of the show are the animals who you can get to know through talks, demonstrations and feeding time. Zoo Lates is an adults-only event, not suitable for under 18s

In May you still have the chelsea flower show 21st to 25th
Daily at the South Bank Centre you have London Wonderland

Destination Unknown

Free Member
Oct 30, 2010
Anywhere and everywhere
Funster No
MH
American A Class
Exp
Not Long Enough...!!
A big thank you Carol for starting this thread...:thumb:
London is not somewhere I would have even considered visiting with the motorhome:Doh:
This has really whetted my appetite and is something we will definitely have to do in the future now!!!:Smile:

Jane

You beat me to it. Thats just what I was going to post.

Brilliant thread Carol.

Regards Chris

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Carol

Just seen there there is a DA meet at Apps farm over the coming Bank Holiday weekend. (Loddon DA).

You may have visitors if you are still there.

Sonja

OP
OP
Carol

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi Carol

Just seen there there is a DA meet at Apps farm over the coming Bank Holiday weekend. (Loddon DA).

You may have visitors if you are still there.

Sonja

Hi, yes there are two rally's on here over the bank holiday so expect it will get a bit more hectic. these have been our companions for the past couple of weeks.

Attachments

• P1080426 (640x480).jpg
    P1080426 (640x480).jpg
    47 KB · Views: 29
  • P1080430 (640x480).jpg
    P1080430 (640x480).jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 30
  • P1080427 (640x480).jpg
    P1080427 (640x480).jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 27

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Hi Carol,

Think I might have spotted your Motorhome yesterday. I cycled past Apps Court on my bike ride to Wisley. Are you near the lock?

My bike ride took me all along the Thames to Weybridge and then I branched off onto the River Wey. Easy riding all the way to Wisley - just by using towpaths - I have in the past carried on to Guildford. When I used my conventional bike I often got my wife to come and pick me up for the return journey but now with Electric Bike her taxi service isn't needed ::bigsmile:

Got tired yesterday even with electric assistance. Distance covered was 30miles (I didn't stop)

Rob

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Well, brilliant post Carol and very well supported by the funsters........

I reckon that if 'robelee' organised a May or June (2014) or now even a September this year Meet there, we would have a very good turnout, me for one and Jock and Rita sound good to go.

Who would be up for it?....................::bigsmile:
:thumb:

OP
OP
Carol

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Well, brilliant post Carol and very well supported by the funsters........

I reckon that if 'robelee' organised a May or June (2014) or now even a September this year Meet there, we would have a very good turnout, me for one and Jock and Rita sound good to go.

Who would be up for it?....................::bigsmile:
:thumb:

We are having a great time and will come back here, the only thing I would point out is we are treating it as Luxury Wild Camping, we have more than ample electric, water, and elsan point, the Three WIFI and vodaphone dongle both get a strong signal, though the toilets do need updating although clean and we are way way from the main site because we rather be almost on the side of the Thames, as Rob said he spotted the van from the tow path.

I have to say the people here at Apps Court could not be more helpful anything at all we ask they will help.

OP
OP
Carol

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi Carol,

Think I might have spotted your Motorhome yesterday. I cycled past Apps Court on my bike ride to Wisley. Are you near the lock?

My bike ride took me all along the Thames to Weybridge and then I branched off onto the River Wey. Easy riding all the way to Wisley - just by using towpaths - I have in the past carried on to Guildford. When I used my conventional bike I often got my wife to come and pick me up for the return journey but now with Electric Bike her taxi service isn't needed ::bigsmile:

Got tired yesterday even with electric assistance. Distance covered was 30miles (I didn't stop)

Rob

You spotted us Rob, excellent pitch as you can see, the birds that visit us are lovely, its like having our own piece of London, call in for a cuppa if you go past again, we were at the A & V yesterday, and Harrods:RollEyes:, I am going put more of our adventures on Sunday.:Smile:

Tomorrow we are hoping to go to Borough Market and the walk KEVINTHECAT gave us I have printed it off and it looks good.

Last edited:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Looks a great break Carol glad you are enjoying it.:thumb:

certainly would be interested if it came up for a possible meet in the future.

Roger & Sheila

OP
OP
Carol

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We are still happily camped on the Thames Path at Apps Court Farm, the weather has been really nice today, and with it being Sunday the place has been alive with joggers cyclist and boats, proper summer day feel about the place.

This week we have been into London twice, taking in the V & A museum the Natural History museum, we loved the V & A but not so much the NH. With Harrods been really near we thought it would be rude not to have a look around ::bigsmile:.

On our second visit on Saturday we walked along the South Bank Past the Globe and Tate modern, with St Pauls and the Shard , a very nice walk, we ended up at Borough Market that was a eye opener, so many tastes and smells.

We thought this trip would be just a holiday in London but its been much more than that a holiday of many different facets, tomorrow hopefully we are off to Brooklands Car Museum and still got Hampton Court to do.

This like Glastonbury and Stratford-on-Avon is now firmly on our annual visit list.

One of the other things I have to say I have found every one I have spoken to whether asking for help with directions even on the tube, and in shops and restaurants every one has been more than helpful and pleasant, really cosmopolitan and enjoyable city to visit.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
We are still happily camped on the Thames Path at Apps Court Farm, the weather has been really nice today, and with it being Sunday the place has been alive with joggers cyclist and boats, proper summer day feel about the place.

This week we have been into London twice, taking in the V & A museum the Natural History museum, we loved the V & A but not so much the NH. With Harrods been really near we thought it would be rude not to have a look around ::bigsmile:.

On our second visit on Saturday we walked along the South Bank Past the Globe and Tate modern, with St Pauls and the Shard , a very nice walk, we ended up at Borough Market that was a eye opener, so many tastes and smells.

We thought this trip would be just a holiday in London but its been much more than that a holiday of many different facets, tomorrow hopefully we are off to Brooklands Car Museum and still got Hampton Court to do.

This like Glastonbury and Stratford-on-Avon is now firmly on our annual visit list.

One of the other things I have to say I have found every one I have spoken to whether asking for help with directions even on the tube, and in shops and restaurants every one has been more than helpful and pleasant, really cosmopolitan and enjoyable city to visit.

Did you know that buying fresh steak from the counter is no more expensive than buying it the supermarkets in London

I used to always go to harrods for my xmas pud too and the extra few pennies were more than worth it xxxxxxxxxx

OP
OP
Carol

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We finished our London Trip off with a cycle ride to Brooklands Car Museum and Mercedes World, we both had a really enjoyable day there, a lot to take in on one day.
The variety of things we have done on this trip has been great and all without moving the motorhome once.

We are now back home and looking forward to Haggers Bring & Buy weekend & Stratford.

Once again a big thank you to all the funsters who helped with my planning and questions and the many Londoners who went out of there way to be helpful when we were obviously lost and in need of directions.

We will be back ::bigsmile:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

I do try to spred the word but sometimes you have to see it for yourself to appreciate it. Glad you had a good time.:thumb:

OP
OP
Carol

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Our last pictures from Brooklands

Ed in his McLaren ::bigsmile:

The Atmosphere at Brooklands - magic

The actual track that they raced on - unbelievable.

Attachments

• P1080478 (640x480).jpg
    P1080478 (640x480).jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 28
  • P1080484 (640x480).jpg
    P1080484 (640x480).jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 32
  • P1080515 (640x480).jpg
    P1080515 (640x480).jpg
    59 KB · Views: 28

Maddie

Free Member
Nov 19, 2007
Ashford, Middlesex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi Carol,

Only just found your post.
I work at Brooklands museum and if I had not been so busy, I would have read your post and could have met up with you.
I am so pleased that you enjoyed the visit and hopefully you took advantage of a trip on Concorde as well.

Might see you the next time

Maddie

kiwicamper

Free Member
Jun 8, 2009
christchurch NZ
Funster No
MH
fully intergrated
Exp
since 2000
Hi Carol

Just to let you know we stayed at Arps Farm and loved it.Five days of glorious weather topped of by a trip on the Thames with some lovely people who were having a rally on the site.
thanks for the tip.

OP
OP
Carol

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Just thought I would pull this thread up for the person looking at Apps Court Farm.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back