Our Friday afternoon Swift Sundance.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Mack100, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Mack100

Mack100 Funster

Just a little vent to keep my sanity.

We bought the motorhome last September and so far:
    Warped washroom door, replacement looks little better.
    Flyscreen broken on delivery, wrong replacement sent so still pending.
    Electric steps broken.
    Chassis bolts missing as per Swift safety recall.
    Ceiling damp discovered due to badly applied roof sealing strips, still measuring too high for my liking.
    Yesterday the Truma Combi boiler refused to work on mains electric giving an error message.
    Only half the main cabin lights now work.

I'm now glad we bought from a dealer only 30 minutes drive away as driving half way across the UK to rectify these faults would be salt in the wounds.
    This is our third Swift product, the 1st caravan was excellent, the 2nd produced damp after 6 months and this little beauty is driving me nuts:cry:

There, I feel better now, thanks for reading. I may put this up on Swift Forum and see if similar tales emerge.
    We're selling our house shortly and if we get a decent wedge for it we may head over over to Essex and look at some Buerstners.
    Seems ridiculous to do this after only 6 months of ownership but that's how I feel right now.

2. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

You're very lucky, you could own an Auto-Trail.
    See my thread "Auto-Trail woes".

• Like Like x 4
  3. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

They only let you say nice things on the Swift forum:Rofl1:

4. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

sorry to hear of your woes, its great to have the motorhomefun forums to vent on xxxx

5. jaytee74

jaytee74 Read Only Funster

friday afternoon sundance

that's a bit unfair I was allowed to say BOOOOOOOOOOO. JT

6. DiggerJon

DiggerJon Funster

Swift - no change then!

So Swift haven't improved since 1997 then when I bought a Sundance. Within one week of delivery it was back with the dealer with a list of faults covering four pages of A4! Worst was the passenger seat belt bolt thread had been stripped and was only held in place with masking tape to "gob it" in! Not to mention delaminating veneers, dodgy bed slats, rattling windows...... Oh, such painful memories! I swore then I would never buy another Swift - and never did!

• Like Like x 1
  7. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

German manufacturers have their own share of horrors as well, just for balance.

I also find generally ( as in not Motorhome specific ) that when there are issues, some German companies customer services attitude leaves a lot to be desired.

Imagine in the voice of Herr Flick :- Vat do you mean, zat there iss a problem wiv our product? Impossible!

Mercedes being high up that list!

• Like Like x 5
  8. Mack100

Mack100 Funster

I've followed that thread, the stuff of nightmares.

It's there but for how long:BigGrin:
    Yep, I feel a lot better now:Smile:

Thanks for the replies, I realise that simply because a product is German it's better is nonsense. After all the the Truma Combi that's packed up is German.
    It could be that Swift haven't improved much over the years. I've no complaints about the dealer, lets see how they cope with this new raft of problems.
    Just concerned now it may drag on into the season. As I said, thanks for the replies, a trouble shared etc.

9. eddievanbitz

My colleague has just reminded me of one of our customers that has been arguing with Burstner for a couple of years, as the windows keep breaking on their Elegance!

All manufacturers have problems, it is a small industry compared to the car market, small production runs and low tech in comparison

Admittedly better PDI and final checking could improve the situation but the more vans you sell, naturally the more disgruntled owners you will meet

I love all motorhomes :thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  10. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

Naturally, the more vans you sell the more faults are being put on the market place. :BigGrin:

Of course you love all motorhomes. It's how you earn a living. :Wink: :thumb:

11. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I assume the MH in the OP is second hand and bought from a dealer? If so, apart from the new electrical problems, the other faults are a dealer issue not a Swift problem. So it is a Friday afternoon dealer MH.

12. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Proper PDI's generally sort out any problems BEFORE the customer gets their hands on it.

Accessories becoming faulty after handover, boilers, heating, fridges are not the fault of the converter or dealer as these are fitted to all motorhomes irrespective of make.

There are some modifications which can be made by a knowledgable workshop to prevent some problems in the future

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mack100

Mack100 Funster

The MH is new. I accept that the dealer should have noticed the warped door and broken flyscreen on handover checking but they didn't fit them, Swift did.
    The dealer also didn't seal the roof/cab joins, Swift did and badly as they also failed to fit all the securing chassis bolts.

I'm not clear exactly what the dealers are required to inspect before handover.

edit: Aaah, ninj'd by Peter :BigGrin:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  14. Madwife

Madwife Deleted User

Not related to this post at all but love the dog in your avatar.

Kath

15. Mack100

Mack100 Funster

Thanks Kath, he's Archie the 18 month old miniature schnauzer.
    Mad as a box of frogs but has a lovable nature and adores adults, kids and other dogs.
    He worships my wife and follows her around like he's stuck to her left foot!

• Like Like x 2
  16. eddievanbitz

I think that the manufacturer is academic, it is the dealer that you buy from.

Johns Cross being an example, who has any gripe with them? no one, they do the job properly, and have satisfied customers

That is why they are the only dealer that I would deal with if I were into European motorhomes

Eddie

• Like Like x 2
  17. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I see you joined just last year. Search this forum and Facts and you'll find you are in one Big Club.

Don't mess about, go for the throat, sling it back, not fit for purpose, otherwise they'll just keep doing this.

18. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

OK, then both a Swift (for letting it leave their factory) and a dealer problem but the contract is with the dealer so as suggested by HD - reject the vehicle. There is some guidance on consumer law here if you start here and follow some of the links: http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/51829/i-want-to-reject-my-faulty-new-car---what-can-i-do-

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  19. Mack100

Mack100 Funster

Thanks for the link, I was under the impression that a "not fit for purpose" refund/replacement was possible only if the faults could not be rectified.

20. maz

maz Funster

From my own experience, Hobby are one of those arrogant German companies. You can phone or e-mail Hobby UK - they will never get back to you. Not only will they not speak to customers, they don't speak to their dealers either if they can help it. The one time I managed to speak to Hobby UK on the phone (at a dealer's when I was digging my heels in and about to throw a wobbler), they knew less about the installation of TecTowers than I did! :RollEyes:

Add to that a ludicrously long wait for any spare parts because they will only send them over from Germany in a large batch. :RollEyes:

And add to that the fact that they construct their vans with no thought whatsoever as to how you get to various components to repair/replace them, eg Truma boiler, water pump. :RollEyes:

I love my van - the layout is second to none and overall build quality is good. However, I would not buy a new Hobby ever again - purely because their customer service is so cr*p. :Angry:

• Like Like x 1