Our First Winter arriving soon, Help (1 Viewer)

4matt

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
East Riding
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie in my second year.
We are wondering about the amount of time away we will get while the cold winter weather is here. It could mean we don't get to use our Van for some months. What would those who 'Lay up' their vans recommend as the best way to keep everything in tip top condition throughout those damp winter months while the van sits on the drive not being used.

I am curious to know how many other MH owners don't use their vans over the Winter. We would like think we will but as things stand we haven't really had much chance in the past to get away in the winter while we Caravan'd.

So Over inflate the tyres and give it a run every couple of weeks to the Supermarket. Is that enough to keep it sweet? Anything else?:Blush:

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
If possible, connect to an electric supply (EHU) and keep the batteries charged, you can also put a small electric heater in the vehicle which helps prevent damp.

Make sure you drain all the pipework and water storage tanks and open all taps, shower head etc. Ensure any gas bottles are turned off.

Give the vehicle an occasional run, as you say, every 2 weeks, get the coolant and oils turning, ensure the brakes don't become stuck also the clutch.

I used to give mine a good 30 mile run which got the heat distributed around the vehicle.

Some people remove their cushions and seat covers and store them in the house, we used to do this but recently have left them in the vehicle.

Of course, you could always pack up for the Winter and head South. (Not always practical for some people)

OllieUK

Free Member
Jun 23, 2013
Ramsgate
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E520
Exp
Since 2009
We are wondering about the amount of time away we will get while the cold winter weather is here. It could mean we don't get to use our Van for some months. What would those who 'Lay up' their vans recommend as the best way to keep everything in tip top condition throughout those damp winter months while the van sits on the drive not being used.

I am curious to know how many other MH owners don't use their vans over the Winter. We would like think we will but as things stand we haven't really had much chance in the past to get away in the winter while we Caravan'd.

So Over inflate the tyres and give it a run every couple of weeks to the Supermarket. Is that enough to keep it sweet? Anything else?:Blush:

Mine will be going into inside storage.

1. Drain all the water from fresh and grey tanks, leave taps open.
2. Remove or turn off the gas cylinders.
3. Lift the upholstery so that fresh air can circulate beneath the seats.
4. Open all lockers, and inside doors so fresh air can circulate.
5. Slightly open a skylight so fresh air can circulate throughout the van.
6. Chock the wheels, remove the handbrake.
7. Remove surpluss bedding etc.
8. Turn off the habitation battery via the control panel or fuse box.
9. Make a list leave in van so you can reverse all of the above when you reuse your van.
10. Check your van periodically ( Me weekly ) take for run when convientent.

If I was going to leave the van for a few months I would also disconnect the main battery.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
don't stop using it just drane down and carry sum water in a container and keep using it you got central heating and lodes of places open all year round
time to resurrect the winter camper thread i think::bigsmile:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's

you not far from me i don't think drop by sum time and i will show you wat you nead to use it all year round we never stop using our van drop in to the winter campers thread to keep capering::bigsmile:

Bebe

Free Member
May 22, 2013
Spain/East Yorkshire, Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2001
We've had caravans all my life before having motorhomes. We always open locker doors and stand cushions etc up on their sides. We also place bowls of salt everywhere. This takes any moisture out of the air. It works too.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I think I prefer using the van in the winter months.

It's an expensive item to have laid up for half the year.

Just pick your sites/ locations carefully and enjoy our beautiful country:thumb:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
best thing is to use it mine gets lonely unless i tend to her and take her out :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
4matt

4matt

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
East Riding
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks to all fast replies. Yes pretty much what you need to do for a caravan lay up. We used to keep the window open slightly but found that since the neighbours got a wood burner we ended up with black soot inside the caravan so stopped that. We used to just leave the heating on low in the caravan via our hook up on the drive. Now though we have a diesel heater so the small electric heater sounds like a good idea. Never use the hand break while at home anyway. Never thought about the clutch binding though. Our cushions are fixed so cannot be lifted only slid out. So maybe do that instead...

We would love to just be able to keep on using it but Winter is tough (time wise) for us so don't get lots of time to get out and about.

Thanks again.

Still curious as to percentage of those who don't use their vans over Winter....

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Thanks to all fast replies. Yes pretty much what you need to do for a caravan lay up. We used to keep the window open slightly but found that since the neighbours got a wood burner we ended up with black soot inside the caravan so stopped that. We used to just leave the heating on low in the caravan via our hook up on the drive. Now though we have a diesel heater so the small electric heater sounds like a good idea. Never use the hand break while at home anyway. Never thought about the clutch binding though. Our cushions are fixed so cannot be lifted only slid out. So maybe do that instead...

We would love to just be able to keep on using it but Winter is tough (time wise) for us so don't get lots of time to get out and about.

Thanks again.

Still curious as to percentage of those who don't use their vans over Winter....

There you go!

Broken Link Removed

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Biggest danger - frozen water.

Drain down.

Open all taps.

Blow into all taps to clear pockets of water.

Putting in a heater is not enough, heat does not penetrate to pipes and taps shielded by cupboards.

dreckly

Free Member
May 13, 2009
cornwall
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Back on the road after a 4 yr break
don't stop using it just drane down and carry sum water in a container and keep using it you got central heating and lodes of places open all year round
time to resurrect the winter camper thread i think::bigsmile:

Winter camping thread, yes please.

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
Picked my new to me van up today, after a two hour drive I soon got use to it, as it is my everyday vehicle as well , it will get used, I intend to try camping this winter, didn`t last year in the Topaz, I will drain it down, apart from the toilet, will carry water in containers any hot water required will heat up via kettle, no hardship, use to decades ago when tenting. so another adventure starts. :thumb:

A pity and a waste if not used, jmo.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
dont put a radiant heater in the van......instead use an oil filled radiator stood on a tray....they have been known to leak.

far safer than an exposed electrical element

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
i use a fan heater on low setting find that works as it circulates the warm air as radiators the heat just goes to the roof and i open all the cupboards wardrobe to allow air to circulate
works for me

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
If you're going to use a room heater you also need to open a vent, perhaps the toilet vent would be most secure. You need somewhere for the warm wet air to go.

OP
OP
4matt

4matt

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
East Riding
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
How would you get flat spots when the vehicle is taken for a run every couple of weeks. over inflating tires and using the motorhome is dangerous. :Eeek:

Sorry I mixed up a couple of things in my OP. If I was to lay up and not use the van then over inflation is a good idea. However, yes If the van is going to get used then the correct pressure is advised always.

As things stand, we will make sure it get a run every couple of weeks if we don't use it more often. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back