Our First night in our Motorhome - Castleton SCC Site (1 Viewer)

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
So

We did our first night last Friday.
It was tough getting in anywhere as it was apparently winter wonderlands and Christmas light turn on everywhere and you have to join the CC or CCC for a few of the sites we wanted.

In the end we managed to get a Friday night at the Castleton site
Link Removed

This is one of my favourite places on the planet anyway so I was thrilled for it to be our test night.

We left home just after 3pm loaded up with everything we needed ;) Or so we thought.

The Drive down there was just stunning

Arrived on site just before 4pm and was greeted by a very nice lady in the reception. Told her it was our first night ever in our own van and having only done a few nights previous to take her time and treat us with kid gloves.

She did a stella job letting us know what how and when and where everything was and needed doing. It was only 30% full at the time but expected full capacity so we were able to drive round steadily and pick the pitch we wanted rather than been told this is yours. That was nice. We got a great spot away from the road but nice and close to the amenities looking inwards towards all the other set ups which was great to gather info and ideas.

After setting up the Van ready for bed and the evening (this is now 90% done for next trip which is nice) We walked up the road into Castleton to the Castle pub for dinner.

There we spent about an hour and a half having a very nice meal and a cheeky pint before heading back to the site.

As luck would have it the factory over the hill (Tunstead Lime?) Was having a huge firework display that night and the whole walk back we had the best view of the most amazing display I have seen in years. Our little girl loved it and has since not stopped saying "Daddy Pop Pop!" (she's 2)

We put the little girl to bed in her new super cool bunk bed and tucked her in with Whinnie the poo for the night and then we retreated to the lounge area for a glass of warming red wine.

What I did forget! was a bottle opener! :notworthy: So off I went to knock on the side of someones else's van to beg for forgiveness. Was met by a very lovely group who were having a great time in there awning partying away with friends and were only to happy to have a chuckle at me and then assist.

The night went very smoothly. It rained cats and dogs all night which was such a comforting sound on the roof of the van. I only nearly killed myself once climbing down off the over cab double bed to go to the loo in the night and woke in the morning about 0730 very well rested.

The little girl had woke about 0645 and mum got up with her and they were both sat in the lounge looking out the window having morning milk and coffee when I peered over the top to look down.

I trotted off to the shower block to test the facilities :sick: and found them to be excellent. So much better than I had remembered as a kid going to these god awful places in the 80's. They really have upped there game.

I decided to try the shower in the motorhome rather than the site so I can fully test the van out and it was great. A nice temperature and great water pressure. Very easy to dry off the wet room after also. Just used a decent sim microfibre cloth and took less than 2mins to be pretty much bone dry.

I then did breakfast on the hobs and grill which was sausages. Bacon and Fried eggs. which me and the missies threw onto some bread for a nice sandwich. It was very easy to cook in and the kitchen space was ideal. even with the limited set up time we had with the van it all worked out so I imagine as we settle in to the van more it will just get better and easier to cook up some good meals.

After breakfast my missis went to the wash area with the pots while our little girl happily watched Disney's The Good Dinosaur on the iPad while I tidied up the kitchen and loose items.

We then unhooked the power. Loaded up and hit the road via emptying the waste water at the drain and chemical toilet.

All in all a great first nights test. No issues or Oh Please!! moments. All 4 of us had a great time (Smudge the Labrador been the 4th)

We are booked to go again for another test night on the 30th of this month at the same site and I dare say it will be a similar repeat of dinner at the Castle again.

Great site. Great People. Van worked a treat. I have bought and ticked off a few items from my immediate things needed this week that we put together. Lets see how many things we add to it next Wednesday.

Thanks people for the help and advice/tips before we went. Really helped us out. (y)

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Glad you had a good time. Only forgetting a bottle opener is not bad. Good to hear the food at The Castle is still good, the last time we ate there was 11 May, 1984!!! Probably before you were born :LOL:.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Sounds like you had a lovely introduction to motorhoming, nice and smooth with no real dramas.:clap2:

However, if you ever make such a stupid mistake as forgetting the corkscrew again you will be ostracised on here and black balled, :doh: it was almost as bad as forgetting the wine for goodness sake.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
Glad you had a good time. Only forgetting a bottle opener is not bad. Good to hear the food at The Castle is still good, the last time we ate there was 11 May, 1984!!! Probably before you were born :LOL:.

Born in 1978 so I could have been that annoying kid running round your table :D

Upvote 0

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Great post about your first night. You must try more than one night next time maybe.

Paul

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
Great post. as said you'll never forget your first
Time Out. Safe and happy travels .

Upvote 0

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for posting its great to read how people get on with their new vans!
Looks like an ideal layout for your family.
Happy MHing!!

Your not a fully fledged MHer until you drive off with your electric hookup still in !!! Oops! Been there done that once!;)
Did you check out the storage at Valleyside garden centre on the A57?
Although van looks good on the drive and can be used as extra bed space when family stays . Great storage for Santas pressies away from prying eyes!!(y)

Upvote 0
Dec 20, 2010
birmingham
Funster No
MH
kon-tiki 669. mazda bongo
Exp
since2011
Glad you all enjoyed it. Get booked into a FUNSTERS meet then you will really enjoy it. Hope to meet you all soon.
You bring the wine and I'll bring the cork screw. ;)

Upvote 0

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Great Post, glad your enjoying the new adventure, ya can never go wrong with castleton, lovely little place and lots to do and see - The chippy at castleton does awsome chips, only problem being they are only open for a very very short period (why i do not know) the times are something like 4pm - 6pm on saturdays - yea thats it :LOL:

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
We once forgot the corkscrew so I had a cunning plan of getting a screwdriver and hammer and pushing the cork into the bottle. All went will till the cork went thru resulting in it shooting out the top all over the furniture, seats etc. Nearly managed to clear it up before Mrs T got out of the shower so she did not see the worse of it. Luckily we had paintseal which also covered the seats and curtains....

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I enjoyed reading your story. When we lived in Yorkshire we used to visit Castleton a lot, along with other sites down in Derbyshire, Teversal and Chatsworth (great for the Christmas Fayre, if you can get a space). I remember our first trip only too well. Winter, in a brand new Dethleffs overcab four berth but on our own and halfway through the evening, after visiting the local pub in Ingleton, the Electroblock failed. No electric! Like I said, the pub was nearby.........

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Nice to see another family posting - proving that MH are not just for retired couples! My 3 kids love ours, sounds like you had a great first night away.

I remember ours, we arrived on a site in total darkness. We settled in, all was going well until half an hour later when all the lights went out - I didn't know that both leisure batteries were shot..........

Upvote 0

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Excellent post.

You will never forget your first time.

Even after 45(ish) years I still remember my first night in a VW Splitty...

JJ :cool:

Thought you were going to say something totally different there JJ and splitty wasn't the word I was expecting :D

Good post I remember our first night earlier this year in N Z in a renter :) in at the deep end :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Well you easily got over the first big mistake(bottle opener) that won't happen again!,
Sounds like all the family had a great night,hope your lovely pup wasn't troubled by the pop pop's,miss my chocolate lab Cadbury terribly.
Enjoy all your future trips,thanks for a great post,here's to you :drinks:

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
What a very good post and you obviously enjoyed yourselves.
Poolsbrook is a reasonably new CCC site, not far from Castleton, flat walking, ideal with a toddler/pushchair, small town & canal within walking distance-not as pretty as Castleton but the Trans Peninne Trail is right by the entrance to the campsite and it's easy walking either direction for as far (or not) as you wish.
In the season next year look at 'Greenhills’ just up the road from Bakewell, it's not a clubsite, privately owned but nice to have Bakewell fairly close & bus services.

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
So glad you enjoyed yourself, forgetting the corkscrew is bad, really bad, but not the end of the world. ( the corkscrew is the first thing to go in the van).

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back