Our First Motor Home..

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Charlie, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Charlie

Charlie Funster

As a now paid up member I am now allowed to post ! Great !

I introduced myself a wee while ago when looking at getting into the motor home life style. After much deliberation and having looked and checked out many many options we decide that a van conversion was going to be best for us. By us I mean of course the wife and I.
    Anyway we went to Stratford show yesterday and bought this one.
    Link
    http://www.nickwhalemotorhomes.co.uk/auto-sleepers-kemerton-625

I drove a few coach built vehicles but felt they were...How can I put it ...Well noisy. Now I realise of course its par for the course but having then tried a van conversion or three decided this option was best for us.
    Plus I wanted as close to a huge car as I could get so we could use it to get about when we are away. My wife is disabled and cannot walk very far at all so having something that is easy or relatively easy to park is just going to be best for us. I have driven large panel vans all my working life so this seems like it will be ace for what we want.

Again after much looking and running up and down the country the Auto sleeper range seems to be quite well built. This one has a nice sized shower which is important particularly for my wife and her limited mobility .

Now a couple of questions if I may.

The previous owner has removed the gas bottle or bottles and the TV for his new vehicle. We are hoping to take delivery of this vehicle on Tuesday and hope to get away for a trial run late Wednesday for a few days .
    So where do I go for the gas bottle ? And what should I be expected to pay ? Im told I need a 6 KG one (By the dealer)

And for those that know these particular vehicles what is the maximum size TV/DVD combination that will fit it the TV cupboard ? There is a picture of the cupboard in the pictures in the link. And what bracket should I get for this application.

Thanks in advance. And honestly we are both utterly clueless ! Mad as well I think !

Charlie.

• Like Like x 2
  2. musson

musson Funster

If you are getting from a dealer you should get gas bottle with it (if not have a look on ebay for used or any dealer will sell them)I use 2 calor lights keep one full.We purchased a avtex 21" built in DVD,SAT ,Free view (cost £320 on offer) you can get them fr0m 16" i think.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

dont go paying the extortionate gas bottle deposit from calor (about £30 plus the gas). buy an empty or part full one from ebay, gumtree or freecycle for £10 and under. you will have to collect it, as gas cylinders cannot be posted or couriered once they have contained gas

tv size is hard to answer without dimensions of the cupboard. usually though up to 19" will fit

• Like Like x 2
  4. Greenway

Greenway Funster

I thought the Kemerton had a 20 litre underslung gas tank. Are you sure you need gas bottles?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Charlie

Charlie Funster

To be honest Im unsure. Its what the selling dealer told me when we put the deposit on it... If it has on on board tank how do we fill it ?

Thanks !

6. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

That's a lovely looking van. Congratulations and I'm sure you're going to have some great times in it.. :cheers:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Candapack

Candapack Funster

Looking at the pictures, you do have a fitted underslung tank. The filler nozzle is on the offside just behind the drivers door. You fill it at any filling station that sells LPG, and you'll need adapters if going abroad.
    Enjoy, it's a lovely van.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Charlie

Charlie Funster

Thats great ......I think ? This just goes to show how little I/we know despite spending countless hours on the internet looking at reviews and things till my eyes are sore !

So is this a good thing ? What is the approximate capacity in Kilos for this 20 litre tank ?

Thanks again !

9. Neilfg

Neilfg Funster

Blast beaten again, yes image 3 of the pictures you put up, shows something just under the LPG sticker thats looks like a filling point, best ring and ask the dealer, preferably speaking to someone in service or parts as the sales people at most dealers are absolutely clueless about the vehicle kit.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Hi.
    Just check they have not taken the underslung tank off...to put on their new van.
    Tea Bag

11. Charlie

Charlie Funster

If they have there will be hell to pay. I have paid a lot of money so the van must be up to its original specification . OK fair enough I had no idea about this tank. But if it was not a standard fit on this vehicle then where would a standard 6KG bottle go. There wont be a dedicated space for one .

But its 99 % going to be there and its just the sales fella not knowing the specification on every vehicle .

• Like Like x 2
  12. Mr Mousy

Mr Mousy Funster Life Member

Looks lovely, enjoy your first trip. Regards Martin

• Like Like x 1
  13. The Wino

The Wino Funster

Bit worrying the sale bloke didn't know about the gas!!!! but looks great.

• Like Like x 2
  14. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

On the day of your collection tell them that you BOTH want a full explanation and demonstration of how everything works and how it all performs. (and that includes putting gas into that tank.)
    If possible, and if you are unsure of anything, ask them to repeat and repeat again. Even go as far as getting the 'phone out and recording it.
    You will feel like a mental punchbag at the end of the day but it will be worth it.

Enjoy, it looks one beautiful 'van. Welcome to our world.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Charlie

Charlie Funster

Thanks everyone !

The dealer we are buying from is a retailer of very expensive cars. Cars are the main thing they do. But they have added the MH sales over the last few years.

The sales execs are really nice and enthusiastic ! Now having been in business for 30 odd years I have encountered many and I do realise sales come first but honestly other than a bit of misleading information they have been exceptional !

The tech guy who I met after buying the van said he will take me through every detail step by step and handover will take as long as it takes. The dealer is just 7 miles from where we live and they said if at any point I have queries or am struggling just to pop over and they will sort it out .

Much as I treat all these people with a degree of scepticism I believe they will come up with the goods.

I actually bought this van at the show where they had about 25 vehicles for sale so perhaps it's a wee bit unfair to expect the fella to know every van in detail ??

I'm bound to make silly mistakes and daft assumptions and nearly bought a gas bottle today !

Part of the fun is the learning curve. I'm a practical bloke with reasonable knowledge of the mechanical side of things. The rest is a mystery !

• Like Like x 1
  16. pops

pops Funster

Charlie it might be best to join the Autosleeper Owners Club Forum as someone on there will know what the Kemerton came with as standard equipment. (No disrespect to the many knowledgeable members on here).

• Like Like x 2
  17. TUCANO

TUCANO Funster

What a great looking van to start motorhoming with, Me jealous :Eeek:

Just a lot :whistle2:

Have fun and :welc:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mags52

Mags52 Funster

Fabulous looking van. Enjoy!

• Like Like x 1