Our First Motor Home.. (1 Viewer)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
As a now paid up member I am now allowed to post ! Great !

I introduced myself a wee while ago when looking at getting into the motor home life style. After much deliberation and having looked and checked out many many options we decide that a van conversion was going to be best for us. By us I mean of course the wife and I.
Anyway we went to Stratford show yesterday and bought this one.
Link
http://www.nickwhalemotorhomes.co.uk/auto-sleepers-kemerton-625

I drove a few coach built vehicles but felt they were...How can I put it ...Well noisy. Now I realise of course its par for the course but having then tried a van conversion or three decided this option was best for us.
Plus I wanted as close to a huge car as I could get so we could use it to get about when we are away. My wife is disabled and cannot walk very far at all so having something that is easy or relatively easy to park is just going to be best for us. I have driven large panel vans all my working life so this seems like it will be ace for what we want.

Again after much looking and running up and down the country the Auto sleeper range seems to be quite well built. This one has a nice sized shower which is important particularly for my wife and her limited mobility .

Now a couple of questions if I may.

The previous owner has removed the gas bottle or bottles and the TV for his new vehicle. We are hoping to take delivery of this vehicle on Tuesday and hope to get away for a trial run late Wednesday for a few days .
So where do I go for the gas bottle ? And what should I be expected to pay ? Im told I need a 6 KG one (By the dealer)

And for those that know these particular vehicles what is the maximum size TV/DVD combination that will fit it the TV cupboard ? There is a picture of the cupboard in the pictures in the link. And what bracket should I get for this application.

Thanks in advance. And honestly we are both utterly clueless ! Mad as well I think !

Charlie.

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
If you are getting from a dealer you should get gas bottle with it (if not have a look on ebay for used or any dealer will sell them)I use 2 calor lights keep one full.We purchased a avtex 21" built in DVD,SAT ,Free view (cost £320 on offer) you can get them fr0m 16" i think.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
dont go paying the extortionate gas bottle deposit from calor (about £30 plus the gas). buy an empty or part full one from ebay, gumtree or freecycle for £10 and under. you will have to collect it, as gas cylinders cannot be posted or couriered once they have contained gas

tv size is hard to answer without dimensions of the cupboard. usually though up to 19" will fit

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 29, 2012
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7066df
Exp
Since 2014
I thought the Kemerton had a 20 litre underslung gas tank. Are you sure you need gas bottles?

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
That's a lovely looking van. Congratulations and I'm sure you're going to have some great times in it.. :cheers:

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Looking at the pictures, you do have a fitted underslung tank. The filler nozzle is on the offside just behind the drivers door. You fill it at any filling station that sells LPG, and you'll need adapters if going abroad.
Enjoy, it's a lovely van.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Looking at the pictures, you do have a fitted underslung tank. The filler nozzle is on the offside just behind the drivers door. You fill it at any filling station that sells LPG, and you'll need adapters if going abroad.
Thats great ......I think ? This just goes to show how little I/we know despite spending countless hours on the internet looking at reviews and things till my eyes are sore !

So is this a good thing ? What is the approximate capacity in Kilos for this 20 litre tank ?

Thanks again !

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

Blast beaten again, yes image 3 of the pictures you put up, shows something just under the LPG sticker thats looks like a filling point, best ring and ask the dealer, preferably speaking to someone in service or parts as the sales people at most dealers are absolutely clueless about the vehicle kit.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Just check they have not taken the underslung tank off...to put on their new van.
Tea Bag

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Hi.
Just check they have not taken the underslung tank off...to put on their new van.
Tea Bag
If they have there will be hell to pay. I have paid a lot of money so the van must be up to its original specification . OK fair enough I had no idea about this tank. But if it was not a standard fit on this vehicle then where would a standard 6KG bottle go. There wont be a dedicated space for one .

But its 99 % going to be there and its just the sales fella not knowing the specification on every vehicle .

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
First moho 11/2013, second 11/2014 current from 09/2019.
Looks lovely, enjoy your first trip. Regards Martin

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
On the day of your collection tell them that you BOTH want a full explanation and demonstration of how everything works and how it all performs. (and that includes putting gas into that tank.)
If possible, and if you are unsure of anything, ask them to repeat and repeat again. Even go as far as getting the 'phone out and recording it.
You will feel like a mental punchbag at the end of the day but it will be worth it.

Enjoy, it looks one beautiful 'van. Welcome to our world.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
On the day of your collection tell them that you BOTH want a full explanation and demonstration of how everything works and how it all performs. (and that includes putting gas into that tank.)
If possible, and if you are unsure of anything, ask them to repeat and repeat again. Even go as far as getting the 'phone out and recording it.
You will feel like a mental punchbag at the end of the day but it will be worth it.

Enjoy, it looks one beautiful 'van. Welcome to our world.

Thanks everyone !

The dealer we are buying from is a retailer of very expensive cars. Cars are the main thing they do. But they have added the MH sales over the last few years.

The sales execs are really nice and enthusiastic ! Now having been in business for 30 odd years I have encountered many and I do realise sales come first but honestly other than a bit of misleading information they have been exceptional !

The tech guy who I met after buying the van said he will take me through every detail step by step and handover will take as long as it takes. The dealer is just 7 miles from where we live and they said if at any point I have queries or am struggling just to pop over and they will sort it out .

Much as I treat all these people with a degree of scepticism I believe they will come up with the goods.

I actually bought this van at the show where they had about 25 vehicles for sale so perhaps it's a wee bit unfair to expect the fella to know every van in detail ??

I'm bound to make silly mistakes and daft assumptions and nearly bought a gas bottle today !

Part of the fun is the learning curve. I'm a practical bloke with reasonable knowledge of the mechanical side of things. The rest is a mystery !

pops

Free Member
May 1, 2012
south glos
Funster No
MH
Pilote panel van
Exp
since1997
Charlie it might be best to join the Autosleeper Owners Club Forum as someone on there will know what the Kemerton came with as standard equipment. (No disrespect to the many knowledgeable members on here).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back