Our first driving trip from callais to monte cassino (1 Viewer)

jasonhadley

Free Member
Mar 18, 2015
burgess hill west sussex
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet2
Exp
i am newbie
hi we are Jason and Sharon we are new to this group we are about to drive from Calais to Italy and would welcome any tips you may have on routes to take ect thanks

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Calais - Metz - Luzern - Garda. Two stops.

This was the advice I received from a real old timer called Hildweller, it worked well for me.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
@jasonhadley
Hello Jason & Sharon, (Welcome)

My fist tip would be, if you are routing through Switzerland to Italy, you will need to purchase a Swiss 'Vignette' at the border. They are law on Class 1 and 2 Swiss roads. They cost about 40Chf (about 30 odd quid). The fines for not having or displaying one are heavy!

If you don't know already, a vignette is a sticker that goes on your windscreen. They are valid for 1 year. Apart from some tunnels, there are no road tolls in Switzerland. The Swiss believe that it is better to have ONE charge, rather than having time and admin consuming toll booths.

I believe that you can get a 'Senior' discount, but certain T's &C's apply. With names like Sharon and Jason, I think you'll be too young :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
hello.jpg and welcome.jpg

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We use viamichelin Jim - we've been using it about 15 years now. Way before we had Satnag.

I really love the way it actually shows you the road signs every step of the way - was brill when we used to go everywhere on one of the motorbikes, since we'd be more prepared and know better which sign was 'the one' if we needed it !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back