Jan 22, 2017
Essex
Funster No
MH
Auto-Roller 747
Exp
Im a Newbie
Hello everyone!

We have been camping for years but fancied dipping our toes in the motorhome area.
We have booked a 2016 Auto-roller 747 for a week in Febuary.
Our plan is
Essex to the Lake District and stay 2 nights
Onwards to Loch Ness 1 night stay
Reaching Durness then heading back.
Just wondered if anyone had any recommendations for motorhome stop overs. We are a family of 5, 2 adults and 3 u12.
Any help or advice on places visit or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks
Craig

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We have booked a 2016 Auto-roller 747 for a week in Febuary.
Craig

What a mistake.

Even the seasoned FUNsters would not do this. Save your money and aspirations for the better weather. A MH with god pouring ball bearings on the roof is not a good place to be and not an indication of the delights of a MH in Italy in hot sunshine.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hello and welcome :welco:it will be an adventure and may not be long enough to really enjoy the experience throughly but I do hope you have a great time and you get the bug!!w2f

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Wow, thats a 1400 mile round trip, thats an awful lot of driving especially with under 12`s and you can`t be sure of the weather.
My advice would be Brittany or failing that Devon or Cornwall.
Much less driving and far more likely to be enjoyable at this time of year
Oh, and welcome !

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
upload_2017-1-22_20-18-38.png

I am surprised it is only 1500 miles, but a serious challenge, google says 25 hours driving

let me confirm they are wrong, very wrong

it is the same sort of thing I would have proposed 30 years ago, and now feel slightly mean pointing out it would be nearly impossible to achieve in one week

Do the lake district bit maybe, get hooked then go to Durness next time (y)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Hello Craig & family @J3FF0RD , and welcome to the Fun
upload_2017-1-22_20-46-31.png

I'd tend to agree as a comparative newcomer (3 years), that seems an awful lot of driving in a week. Which means an awful lot of time sitting and either driving or doing nothing. And you'll spend quite a bit of time setting up and then packing up while you're getting used to the moho routine; you wouldn't be left with much time to enjoy the lifestyle. I'd think about what sorts of things you want to do or see en-route and at each stop-over, then look for an area that can make that happen - you don't need to go far to have a great and different experience.
Norfolk? New Forest? Dorset? South Wales? The Lakes too, but remember what creates the Lakes Link Removed

I'd probably go for formal campsites while you learn about the van - hopefully it won't happen, but there will always be somebody to help if you're struggling with anything. There's always time to be more adventurous when you have a better idea of how a moho works and have developed a routine (you remember how it was when you first learned how to set up and then pack your tent).
If you do re-think your itinerary, come back on here and ask again - being nosey and giving advice (both good and bad, what you've asked about and what you haven't) is what we're good at :D

It will certainly be a bit of a learning experience for you even with your years' experience of camping, but you should still have a wonderful holiday - yes, even in the UK in February (some of us really like it!!!)

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Hi Craig and a big :welcome3:to you and your family,go and enjoy your adventure,whatever happens you will learn if a MH is the life for you and your family,drive safe and let us have lots of updates.

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
Welcome to the fun house
That is going to be a hard slog of a trip especially if your new to motorhoming
Good luck and keep us updated

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Hi as one Essex boy to another....don't do it......far too much driving, and February Half Term is generally not renown for good weather, especially up North.
I would suggest Dorset, Jurassic coast etc. If there is any good weather its likely to be there and the driving distance is controllable. Remember too, Motor-homes are generally thirsty beasts especially when pushed at speed, so a long road trip will certainly hit your wallet at the diesel pump, 20-25 mpg is the norm, unless you moderate your speed, which is not compatible with covering distances in short order.
Best of luck and welcome.

The Littlest Hobo

Free Member
Dec 31, 2016
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Bus conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Don't be put off by the mileage! We drove our three kids to Italy for a week (900 miles each way) when they were 2, 4, and 6 years old.

Jeff and terri

Free Member
Jan 3, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Ford transit twin wheel
Exp
3 years
:hi2::hiya:w2f And good luck on your adventures
As the sticker on the rear window of my mh says..on an adventure before dementia

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Welcome, the advice has to be, that is ambitious. As pointed out by nearly everyone it is a huge undertaking. Are you going to Durness to say "We went to Durness".
If there is no added charge for taking the van abroad the kids would probably appreciate Alsace region or there is a route in Germany with all the fairy tales. (presuming you have passports as well)
Heading North in February has to be questioned but heading that far north ?

If you go for it Good luck

OP
OP
J3FF0RD

J3FF0RD

Free Member
Jan 22, 2017
Essex
Funster No
MH
Auto-Roller 747
Exp
Im a Newbie
Whoa! haha where do i start? Thanks for the welcomes and advice (not to do it) :LOL: I am a tad crazy and the family are too, so this is a kind of normal off the cuff adventure we do.
Im glad youy all have put your views across...i relayed them back to the wife and she gave me a crazy sinister laugh, i think the bit about with "god pouring ball bearings on the roof" (thanks dweller) got her thinking :cautious:
The thing is we booked for feb half term as it is half the price and more in our budget with everything else being considered ie fuel, food and stop overs etc I know its a different travel but done 9.5hrs on plane to Orlando last july and we couldnt get off that to have a stretch and the likes, so thinking it should be OK...i guess..maybe? haha
Yes it is alot of driving, but i drive for my job and drive a citreon long wheelbase high top so that doesn't phase me what so ever.
The weather? We have been soaked right through on camping breaks and we are in UK in Feb so im kinda guessing it wont be brilliant, but it is all part of the adventure.
You are probably reading this and thinking "he has asked for advice and is going against it all" yes i am...no im not really haha after going over "planned" route again and taking advice from here (thankyou) we may just go upto Lake District but i am determined to go to at least Loch Ness - weather permitting.
Im 35yo and love travelling and Mrs J is also the same and we want the kids to continue growing up to enjoy the travel and its not always about Disney, hot weather and fast food haha I love my photography, so this is a great chance to capture places/landscape that never get to see as down here in Essex (Zains Pops will know haha) its just housing, flats, poundlands and big egos.
The reason behind going to Durness did have some goals to cross off rather than just to say i have been there. I had done alot of reading on Smoo Cove and surround coves that sound amazing. I am sure there are other places like that as well, but i do not know of them but i was hoping to gain some insight on places to see while being this forum. Another reason was that my mate sold his shop in Benfleet a few years back and bought a B&B on the Loch in Lairg, so was going to drive through and see him.
So overall, thanks again for the advice and it has been taken on board, just have to see how it goes.
If anyone else wants to add anything i would really appreciate it and ill keep everyone updated (y)
Thanks again
Craig

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
here is some Durness bait :)(y) the journey there and Durness bay

A salmon photographed by me at Falls of Shin just south of Lairg

Salmon.JPG

Parked at the only site in Durness Sango Sands

IMG_0157.JPG

IMG_0101.JPG

this was January 2015, some great sunshine but seriously cold

IMG_0219.JPG

Smoo cave at its best with lots of flow, we have been in summer and seen it totally dry

IMG_0122.JPG

IMG_0124.JPG

the journey out that time, no real issues, well gritted, only really one loop of road so well looked after

IMG_0226.JPG

my comments earlier in the thread were from experience of doing it, the journey is amazing, we have been to Durness 5 times now, but I really do think if you are determined to get to Loch Lomond or further north, knock the Lake District off for now

But then go on you might as well go to Durness, especially if you get to Lairg (y)(y):) you know you want to really :)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Also, would you mind joining fully (it does need paying for though) so you can let us all know how the trip goes :)(y)

you only get 5 free posts and I for one would like to know how the trip goes and there will plenty more just as nosey who want to know but wont admit it :)

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
I for one would like to know how the trip goes and there will plenty more just as nosey who want to know but wont admit it :)
We admit it! We would be very interested. We had never been to Scotland before but went to the West Highlands in 2015 and absolutely loved it. Durness is probably only 100 miles further from our home than Fort William is, so it could be on the cards for us this year ..... in warmer weather.

David, your photos are stunning and provide another incentive for us to return to Scotland.

Craig, please join the forum. We'd love to hear all about your adventures!

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
:hiya2: sounds as if you are going to have loads of fun....both planning and executing....have the best time

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Craig @J3FF0RD I'm sure you'll have a great time whatever you do, wherever you go, it's all about having a positive attitude to life which you and your family clearly have.
Advice is there to be followed or not; at least you've asked, and you've listened; only you know how these bits of information would affect you and your family.
You obviously have lots of places you'd like to visit. Last bit of advice: they'll still be there next time you take a holiday!
Anyway, as others have said, please join (only ÂŁ15 for the year, which gives you access to all sorts of additional bits of the forum) & let us know how you get on, we love travelogues :)

Safe travels, have fun, & have a wonderful holiday (y)

OP
OP
J3FF0RD

J3FF0RD

Free Member
Jan 22, 2017
Essex
Funster No
MH
Auto-Roller 747
Exp
Im a Newbie
Evening all. Just signed up for the year so I will keep you updated on our crazy adventure.
Ill start a new thread on saturday once we have collected our ride and post the link in here (if that's allowed of course)
Thanks again for all the advice and comments.
Craig

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back