Our 1st Euro Tour to France .. HELP !! (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Hi Funsters

The time has nearly come, we have been waiting months to go on our 1st French tour in our MH, and been waiting 7 years to take a holiday (too long I know) ..

We have a campsite already booked in Rives (SW Dordoigne region), the Eurotunnel is booked for an 20:30 crossing as we have chosen to travel through the night to arrive early doors at the site.

My big question is our route .. .. .. I am reluctant to travel through/around Paris based upon all the information and advise I have gathered, yet I want to take the fastest route possible. Therefore will travelling via Paris in the evening be more successful in terms of the amount of traffic, or should I still avoid it like the plague ??

I am looking for advise travelling as I have not driven to Southern France before.

3 comments.

Do you regularly drive through the night or at least for 4 or 5 hours at night? If you are practiced it's a superb way to travel and miss traffic hold-ups and get places quickly, but if you are not it can be pretty dangerous as you wont' know what your awareness levels are when tired and the pointers to look out for so you pull over in time. Extreme tiredness has been likened to being drunk when driving. The good thing about France is there are so many stopping places if you do suddenly feel tired, especially on the autoroutes.

Rouen is a pain and worth a small detour in my view. Maybe try the A29 to Yvetot, south on the D131/D490, across the Seine then meet up with the A13 at Bourg-Achard, then either take the lunarman route south of Rouen or the other route south via the A28 to Alencon, Le Mans and Tours etc. The route south of Le Mans is some of the very best non spectacular ordinary France you will find if you leave the autoroute either south of Le Mans and join the D338/D938 to Tours, or to get further south more quickly leave the autoroute south of Tours taking the D943 via Loches through to Chateauroux where you join the lunarman route. The D943 is one of the best kept secrets in France with some aires along it's route.
Maybe on the return journey use the Pont de Normandie route near to the coast as NicNic suggested, the bridge is a real experience.

Last. I drive long distances through France and the UK for work and when heading from Folkestone to Calais with Eurotunnel we use trains from about 8pm through to 2am. We are usually headed to the center of France so often travel via Paris and although some do have bad experiences (we have too) it's no better or worse than most other European or UK cities at the wrong time of day. If you match your timing to the appropriate ring road (all are on the east of Paris) you will find it fairly painless. We tend to arrive in Paris between 12 midnight and 4:30am, after 5am it's rush hour and can be fast and crowded at that point, and by 7:30 it's usually just a slow slog as there is just so much traffic. The ring road I would recommend for most people is the A104/N104 route from the A1 to the A6. Sometimes for a change we take the eastern Peripherique (BP) if it's between 2 - 4 am. Just trying to make the point that driving around Paris is not to be feared if you time it right, but it's a pain at certain times.

If you want any further detailed info please ask, like all others on this forum you can't help enjoying driving through France if you are relaxed about it whether that's D roads or autoroutes.

One last point re autoroute tolls. If your motorhome is no more than 2.99m high all in you are a classe 2 vehicle and this will be shown on the screen where you pay. Choose an auto toll rather than the now rare manned toll booths and use a debit card even for the smallest amount. Card in the slot, toll is taken, card ejected and if you want a receipt press the recu button after your card is ejected and you will be on your way in 20 seconds, do not use cash as it's easy to fumble with coins and notes.

Enjoy your holiday and I'm sure this forum would enjoy hearing of your first experiences of driving through to SW France.

OP
OP
John&Kate

John&Kate

Free Member
Aug 30, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Sept 2015
Thanks @veevee This too is solid advise what I was looking for.

As mentioned by @Sas r us I am part of the "younger generation" of MH'ers and a competent driver at that, not driven in Europe for a while but looking forward to the drive, night or day.

I changed our Eurotunnel times today and we are now able to leave Folkestone during the mid morning to take in some sights on our journey down, we planned our route based on the awesome suggestions on this thread and have set our sites on an Aire (I just hope they have the room when we arrive).

I will deffinatley be posting our progress for all to read.

This is an excellent source of information with a wealth of experience and I thank everyone for their input (y)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I changed our Eurotunnel times today and we are now able to leave Folkestone during the mid morning to take in some sights on our journey down, we planned our route based on the awesome suggestions on this thread and have set our sites on an Aire (I just hope they have the room when we arrive).

If it's full there will be another just down the road....

Now you'll have to take a few snaps and post bits of your journey on here, we all like a good travel posting...

I'm sure you'll have a great time and the kids will love it....

All the best..(y)(y)(y) :france::france:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Sensible not to drive your first trip in the motorhome at night.
Another thing to consider is the fact that most French roads are unlit and their white lines seem to absorb not reflect light, coupled with headlights that dip the wrong way and have half the light output blanked out could mean having to concentrate more and getting tired quicker.

Jan 26, 2013
france
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
four years
Echo the above advice. It is a long journey to do in one hop. We live in South-West France so the routes/drives up to the Tunnel are commonplace and well practiced.
Remember many years ago being camped in St Emilion where a family arrived at breakfast time after driving all night from a channel port. They were so "out of sync" that we made a pot of tea for them after which their sleep patterns were in such disarray that they did not really function properly for three days. Please consider the advice being given above.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I wonder how it went, they are still members so hope they are looking in.
Just over 5years ago but it seems a different age ,no b.... Or covid mentioned ,just go and do it.
Those were the days (y) :giggle:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just over 5years ago but it seems a different age ,no b.... Or covid mentioned ,just go and do it.
Just looked back and they don't seem to have posted since 2019, sad, and they don't seem to have said how it went :(

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Just looked back and they don't seem to have posted since 2019, sad, and they don't seem to have said how it went :(

But they logged on only a few days ago👍

19E33E23-9E47-4424-81DE-E2161583162E.jpeg

So how did it go John&Kate ?

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Thank you for your fast responses ..
We are able to share the drive so I wont be doing it all myself, but our leaving time from the UK means going at night so we are going to do as much as we can through the night, which means very little sight seeing can be done in the dark !!
I am quite hopefull I know of doing it in one trip, but I want to go on the shortest route possible, and via Michelin that is via Paris. Will Paris through the evening be such a task as all the rumours suggest?

Our journey home will be the time to cruise back via Bordeaux and up the coast taking in some sights and using some Aires.
Have you done much European driving? I ask as it is a long way if you are a novice to it especially at night when judging distances of vehicles behind is much more challenging. Best advice is take it easy, better to arrive in one piece than risk disaster. I have this piece of advice, never cross over the road to fill up with fuel or a snack/rest as it is easy to forget you are then on the wrong side when pulling out. In an emergency is the only time to do the crossover. Even for someone like me who has lived in a country driving on the right hand side of the road I never do it even after several days.

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Due to a dodgy satnav we ended up on the "Perifearique" at 8.30 pm on a Saturday evening in April, never again.

It resembled a cross between a race track and a scene out of.a Mad Max movie, full of absolute lunatics.

I am not a Sunday driver, having driven hundreds of thousands of miles all over the world, but that was sheer bloody madness,

I had the insurance phone number ready for most of it as I was sure we would not emerge intact.

If it ever happened again I would make sure to turn back and find a different route, I thought driving it in the daylight was a shock, but never, ever again in the dark.

Hymie.

PS. As said above, too many miles in a day turns it from a pleasure into a chore, relax and enjoy a beautiful country, so much to discover.
Having driven the Periferique several times with a caravan in tow the rule is keep out of the right hand lane until you pass the junction immediately before the exit you need, get the Navigator to advise you and then stay in your lane and allow plenty of time to get into the RH lane to exit. Once you do that it is not quite a mad as you thought.

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
I would like to endorse the views of many here, please stop on the journey, there are plenty of good suggestions on this site somewhere if you search. At least plan a stop somewhere nice before you go. Saves you being desperate on the road. You might decide to travel on, but at least there is a plan B in place.
Be careful of Rouen, isn't that the place with all the low tunnels?
Yes, beware of Rouen guys :X3:

Gina.

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
We always go all the way on the motorway and pay the tolls. It is a good work out for the passenger, up and down the step getting out to pay the toll (y):giggle: and the bickering when one is too slow or has banged the door on the toll machine :giggler:

Gina.

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Well spotted (y) I didn't pick that up.

Gina.

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Hope they are ok :unsure: hope they had a fantastic time and were too busy to get back us (y)

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Thanks @lunarman I am studying a revision of our travel plans based on your suggestion (y)
French advice now?
Don't go through Paris and do what you are suggested whatever route you prefer, but indeed.... even me, with French driving habits would not do it!
EDIT : OOPS didn't see it was an old thread!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
My route to the Dordoinge would be

Calais - Rouen - Evereux - Dreux - Chartres - Orleans - Vierzon - Brive

The only Toll I would use is the section Boulogne to Abbeville before Rouen.

The Vierzon - Brive section is free motorway all the way.

As @Badknee says it is a long way in one go. I would consider stopping south of Orleans before Vierzon. We normally spend a night at Camping Soloinge in Salbris.

Lunarman
That's our preferred route,,BUSBY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back