Ouch! My little Lily is in stitches ... not the funny sort!

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Minxy Girl, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

My poor little Lily has been to the vet today to have a cyst removed from her back - she was very, very poorly a few years ago in France and as part of the emergency treatment she had some injections, one of which was in her back and she has gradually reacted to it so it had developed into a small lump which wasn't causing her any problems at all. However over the last few months it got larger so we had already told our vet we were going to book her in to have it removed once we returned from holiday - we didn't want to do it before as she loves swimming etc so we didnt' want to stop her doing that on holiday.

Anyway, she had the op today and is now lumpless but the size of the incision is massive and if it was me I'd be very unhappy I'm sure, but it's not bothering her at all! We were advised if we wished they'd send the cyst off to be checked but as we know it occurred shortly after the injection in the same place we decided there wasn't really much point. The vet suggested putting a t-shirt on her to prevent her scratching/knocking it which isn't a problem as she loves wearing them - the kiddy that she used to belong to used to dress her up!

In the first photo taken on our recent you can see the lump on her back, and the second shows the incision and stitches ... the third is her 'modelling' a very fetching t-shirt - despite the grey chin she's only 7!

She's going back for a check-up on Thursday and we've been given strict instructions that she has to wear one of her t-shirts so they can see how cute she looks!

Lily Lump.jpg Lily stitches 1.jpg Lily in bed.jpg

• Like Like x 10
  2. calion

calion

aw bless, glad she's ok (y)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Oh dear......

4. Minxy Girl

When we went to pick her up this afternoon the nurse came out and said I needed to go and get her myself form the 'back' because when the cage door was opened Lily quick as a flash she'd done a runner and although they'd managed to shut her in the X-ray room rather than stress her by trying to catch her they wanted me to go get her. The nurse said she'd never known a dog be able to move so fast after an anaesthetic!!!! She's a feisty little s*d ... Lily not the nurse!

• Like Like x 6
  5. calion

calion

Sadly our little dog has lost his sight in the last fortnight, due to diabetes :cry: its heartbreaking watching him crash into things everywhere he goes.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Cat53

Cat53 Funster

Lily.....ultra cute and a superstar.

Sorry about your little guy @calion. Maybe you could put him on a lead and guide him a bit in these early days. You be his guide human. After all we all need a helping hand now and again.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Shrimp64

Shrimp64 Funster

Poor girl.
    Our JRT had a very bad gut in France a few years back and the vet there put an injection in her side (not sure exactly where) now she has a lump on her side but not sure if it's that or a big dog that bit her across her back a while ago! So far it's staying the same size and doesn't seem to worry her! It is a hard lump that you can't get hold of with the fingers, was Lilly's like that?
    I had forgotten about the injection until I read your post. When I showed it to our Vet he thinks it could be just local trauma to the big muscle there and just to keep an eye on it!

8. Milliemobile

Milliemobile Funster

Our chocolate lb Biskit has a lot of fatty lumps had some removed last year, one on her belly and under atm pit, boy was it's trauma getting the stitches removed from under her arm, belly no problems loves to flash it, try getting her to show an arm pit no chance! She was happy running about though.
    Hope your little one is feeling ok. Great Ideas with t-shirt, Biskit needs another lump removing under other arm pit will try the t-shirt after that.

Lin :)

9. Milliemobile

Milliemobile Funster

Oh poor thing, hope he adjusts soon.

Lin

• Like Like x 1
  10. parknride

parknride Funster

What a lovely colour coat she has. Hope she's feeling better now.

11. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

from vast experience, all incisions and stitches look bad to start with. in a few weeks when stitches out and hair grown back it will all look better

the blind JRT, you could fabricate a "halo" from a collar and some wire (thin coat hanger). the idea is it puts a frame round the face so that hits obstacles first

• Like Like x 1
  12. big bertha

big bertha Funster

Hope Lily feeling bit better today.(y)
    Calion, hopefully in time your little dog will get used to furniture positions and settle to the change.:(
    Our old lab now needs to bark at us when she needs help moving from certain positions.:(

• Like Like x 1
  13. Rob and Val

Rob and Val Funster

• Like Like x 1
  14. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Looks like the vet took the cautious approach and removed a lot of tissue from around the lump. Probably wise not to get it tested. What would you do differently if the test came back positive, other than worry?

15. Minxy Girl

Lily is feeling a LOT better today ... although she's more tired than normal as you'd expect and has a bit of a cough (due to the tube in ther throat) she's as feisty as ever ... someone came to the door this morning and by heck did Lily move to go and warn them of her presence! She also complained bitterly when hubby took the other 2 out for a walk so when he got back he had to take her for a little trot to the corner where she did her ablutions (she likes to go there!) and once he'd cleaned it up she was happy to just come back ... I think she just wanted to show the neighbourhood dogs that she was still 'on patrol'!!! :sneaky:

• Like Like x 6
  16. calion

calion

pleased to hear she's getting on ok (y)

17. Daveo2006

Daveo2006 Read Only Funster

Bless her.

18. Minxy Girl

I nearly too her back to the vet this afternoon ... to have her mush stitched shut! By hell did she make a racket when hubby took the other two out ... 'screaming' the place down ... you'd have thought there was murder going on!

She's booked into the vet tomorrow for a check up so I'll see if she's allowed out for a potter on the field with the others (on a lead of course) otherwise I'll be taking the others out and HE can stay at home with the wailing banshee!!!

• Like Like x 2
  19. Minxy Girl

double post

20. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

very vocal staffie girls, dont you just love them