Ouch. But could have been worse (1 Viewer)

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Long story short. Electronic step did not retract when the ignition went on yesterday. Clipped the bottom of the hedge with it when driving into the driveway. Still works but only goes out about 95% and looks a bit squint. As soon as you step on it , it is fine. Is there adjustments on these or anything I can do to straighten. It's just slightly out but it's annoying. ( Normally would press the button to retract rather than rely on when the ignition goes on but my mind was on other things. Tried it several times today and as soon as the ignition goes on step goes in............)
Thanks

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
It will be the hangers that have a bit of a twist in them, if you were going forwards it might be the front one that's worse, the 14lb lump hammer wasn't said totally in jest, it might just do the trick. (y)

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
My sisters step did that when they had a motorhome. They were going through a french toll booth at the time. What a mess it made of the motorhome peeled it back like a tin opener. Big insurance claim and a messed up holiday :-(. I think that is what scared off motor homing, bought a caravan instead. :-(

OP
OP
gordoncbrown
Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Must admit Spidey it has given me a bit of food for thought. Although I didn't deliberately not press the switch to retract it Once I was on the go and realised I hadn't I didn't stop to check. What concerns me is what would have happened if it had clipped a car or lorry tyre when doing 50mph....... Think in future I will check and check again. Or I might see if I can get an additional mirror so I can see down to the step from the driving seat. If anyone knows of one feel free to post a link.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
My sisters step did that when they had a motorhome. They were going through a french toll booth at the time. What a mess it made of the motorhome peeled it back like a tin opener. Big insurance claim and a messed up holiday :-(. I think that is what scared off motor homing, bought a caravan instead. :-(
Ooooooo, that's a bit drastic, check and double check is what we do, Angela can see it out of the n/s mirror.

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Shouldn't be difficult to design a circuit that would make it retract when moving. Would make sense to do so.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Shouldn't be difficult to design a circuit that would make it retract when moving. Would make sense to do so.
It's got one, it just didn't work.
Another idea would be a loud buzzer that comes on with the ignition and the step retracting hits a micro switch that shuts the buzzer up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back