Other half driving?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Larby, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Larby

Larby Funster

Despite my OH having had a full licence for 40 years she is always reluctant to drive whenever we go out whether in car or MH.

Does your OH drive as a matter of course, do you have to bully her/him or do they flatly refuse on the grounds of (insert excuse here)?

Or wouldn't you let him/her anywhere near the bits that brake and steer?:helptitanic:

2. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

My wife drives the motorhome more than me.

And she is better at parking than me.

• Like Like x 7
  3. Nigel&Debbie

Nigel&Debbie Read Only Funster

Is this man creeping to OH or what:BigGrin:

As for me - absolutely no chance of OH getting anywhere near driving seat (thankfully) :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Paramotormanal

Paramotormanal Read Only Funster

Not a chance but her excuse is noteworthy "I just would not trust myself and would damage it" that's fine by me I will drive.

5. june123

june123 Read Only Funster

OH driving

I'll drive the car all the time but only do dual carriageways or motorways in the motorhome. Leave the country lanes/towns/clever bits to OH. Quite willing to drive on Continent but OH finds it too stressful having the traffic heading straight for him when I'm too close to central white line. Can't think why as I have to put up with it when he does it.

6. lesleyjean

lesleyjean Funster

I do all the driving and since having the motorhome I have driven almost 40,000 miles mostly in France and Spain.
    Alan is happy for me to drive and to be honest I am not a good passenger.

• Like Like x 2
  7. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

Other half is just as capable, and I trust her totally though I drive more often than not due to be being a terrible passenger - I get bored and start cleaning air vents and things!:Rofl1:

Frightened of the Size ladies?
    God forbid it happening, but if your other half is taken ill? - who will drive? Better you learn when relaxed, than having to learn while worried about your other half - especially if in foreign climes, with all that stress.

Frightened of what she may do to it Gents?
    You will be surprised of how good a driver even the most nervous will be with some guidance. If you have no driver, and have to rely on recovery then you will be on the back of a flatbed truck hitting every tree and low hanging branch on the way back, gaining more scratches than your other half would ever be capable of. Get her driving - it is important, especially if abroad!

Go for it ladies - you are just as capable as us men!

• Like Like x 10
  8. patch

patch Read Only Funster

At the moment OH does all the driving with me just having odd try parking it on sites or on drive at home. OH looks terrified even when I mention trying to drive it although I drive the car at least half the time. Unfortunately I am not a very good passenger and I think he feels this reflects on my ability to drive MH! Eventually will pluck up courage as the thought of OH breaking a limb or becoming Ill while we are away is too frightening to contemplate .:BigGrin:

9. Philh

Philh Funster

This is a difficult subject! Its a well known fact women are better drivers.

My wife cannot start the MH moving, she doesn't understand it is different to her automatic Mercedes, ie it's a big van with a clutch. She has managed to kangaroo jump it across a motorway service station parking, full revs and panic sets in so she takes all feet off. When she finally gets it going she manages to slow down so much to get to second it stops.

If I try to advise I get yelled at for criticising, she has been driving for 30 years etc etc.

I have given up trying, it's much less stress and afford just to do all the driving myself. The points above are really valid, illness etc, I just have to assume she cannot and will to drive it.

10. lorger

lorger Funster

I do most of it and dont mind really as i enjoy driving, Lorraine will take her turn if we are trying to do long distance in one day so i can have a rest. Although i cant normally relax with her driving :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1: only joking she is a very good driver in straight lines:Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  11. meanders

meanders Funster - Life Member Life Member

I have always shared the drivingin this country but was a bit apprehensive about driving when abroad. Last year Robin was in plaster for 12 weeks and unable to drive for our planed trip to Holland, so I was forced to drive and wondered why I had been reluctant in the first place, except I am a better navigator than him!!

12. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

There is one point that many may not have considered. While Jean has driven the m/h she does not wish to do so. When renewing the insurance she had her name taken off the policy. The reason being if I were incapable for any reason she fears the insurers would expect her to drive home and she would not want to do so. As it is she sees the onus being on them to get us home. She simply would not contemplate driving from the south of France back to the uk.

Wyn

• Like Like x 1
  13. Rob and Val

Rob and Val Funster

My husband drives a car with an automatic gearbox and, as our trusty Talbot is manual, I drive it all the time. Guess who has just pranged his car when his foot slipped off the brake on to the accelerator and he hit a bollard with some force?

14. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Slightly off topic but may help someone as I know this crops up now and again.

Be aware that if you have your partner listed on your insurance, "just in case they ever want a go", but you know they will never drive.
    Imagine you are away abroad and something happens and you cant drive.
    Your insurance company would expect the other named driver to drive the motorhome back to UK, after all they are insured and have a license.!!

However if you take your partner off then insurance will cover re-patriation.

Just something to think about..

I have asked Irene many times to try driving the van but she wont, so I removed her from insurance after hearing issues with above...

WHoops.. Just seen Wynandjeans post.... same thing..

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  15. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

Lyn, my wife drives anything. These were taken the last time we towed a RIB RV combo down to the South of France which is exactly what we are doing Wednesday week!

Remember ladies, if you make your partner drive all the way, he could get tired and make mistakes! Loose your fear not your life:Eeek:

It does make me laugh when men with tiny vans give Lyn "driving tips" when people find out that she does the driving.

I love being driven in the van, ice cold Stella, feet up reading a gripping novel. Much better nowadays with truck navigation to avoid interrupting the book at a "crucial" moment to look at the map.

She drives too fast though as far as I am concerned and strangely she thinks that I drive too fast, yet in reality neither of us speed, it's just perception :Laughing:

Having said all of that, we used to toss a coin to see who "would" drive, now we toss a coin to see who "doesn't have to" drive:Rofl1:

Eddie

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

simple for us
    elaine is a better driver than me
    unless it some where VERY tight then she gets rattled
    girl power rules in our house

17. adds666

adds666 Read Only Funster

Kerry is a named driver on the policy but she never drove the blue Transit.

Now we have the, larger, coach built transit she wants to have a go!

Whilst a bit apprehensive I'm all for her driving. We have done some long days on the road to meet time constraints and I have taken the brunt of it. With her driving, even on motorways, it would relieve the pressure.

We are headed to County Durham from the South East on Friday. Maybe she will want to be put to the test then?! I shall report back!

• Like Like x 1
  18. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

I can understand those that have partners that do not want to drive - that is fine, so long as you are comfortable with consequences of that.

I would not want my other half stuck on a motorway in Spain for example, if I were carted off to Hospital with a suspect heart attack. Weird thing to think of, but the heat and we are mostly getting older - I need to be prepared for these things. They are not the safest places at the best of times, but leaving her for a few hours roadside I would never expect her to do - at least be able to drive to a safe place.

If that were to happen, I know she would want to be with me/visit hospital as she would be worried sick - no loan car if she is not on insurance, no staying in the area, no following the ambulance to the hospital - she would be relayed home with the van. So I am in hospital, o/h would be stuck on a long a tedious relay-run back home, changing trucks every so many miles, all in a foreign country where she may not be comfortable. Both would be worried sick about each other.

I know that my o/h wouldn't want that situation, she has said so - you know your o/h's and what they want. So long as they are happy with the probable, then that is fine. But ensure you know what will happen through your insurers when you take out the policy if you are going to rely on them.

19. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

My wife has always done her share of driving. The only vehicles she wouldn't drive,when we had them,were my Land Rover,Wagon and motorbike. In fact her sharing the driving helps us cover greater distances and saves time.

20. Tkly

Tkly Funster

I do all the driving only because Jan does not drive, we just take a little more time and rest stops on long journeys.:Smile: