Other campers! (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
A few days ago we were on a site in Switzerland, one where no plots are allocated, you simply choose your own. The guy opposite had the largest plot by a long way, marked out by quite a number of solar lights, a pair of loungers - even though he was by himself - a tent-shed and other items, including two cars, one permanently under a cover. This plot took in the water tap and a electric power supply of 8 connectors, of which his was the only connection. He seemed to be a night worker, would disappear early evening and return 10 or so hours later.

On the Friday, he pulled out a lawnmower from his shed-tent, and proceeded to mow his plot. When it came to cutting around the various obstructions, he produced a sheep shearing type implement, and short back and sided around them. Most entertaining!

The neighbours on another site had their pet goldfish with them, which they fed, and cleaned out the bowl periodically. They watched TV most of the time from the outside, with the TV on inside the awning playing very loud, and would loudly argue with it.

It all adds to the colour of European camping

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
My mother-in-law put her caravan on a seasonal pitch in the UK a little while ago. At first it was fine, but as the (new) site filled up a rather entertaining "keeping up with Joneses" battle ensued - little solar lights started appearing, then hanging baskets, then flowerbeds were dug, then people started building decking and little sheds and it just carried on and on.....

Clearly none of them had anything better to do! Honestly, it was like a curtain-twitching competition, every day. At the end of the season I moved the caravan for my mother-in-law as she wasn't using it, as she was one of the first ones to join the site she had what was regarded as a "prime" pitch. You should have seen the battle to move in as soon as they saw me go to hitch up - the start at Le Mans had nothing on this, it was battle for who could be the first to get their van hitched and moved across to the pitch - won of course by the person with the least tat to move first!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back