OS X Yosemite (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter Deleted member 29692
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Anyone upgraded yet? Any issues?

I've done 2 MacBooks at home and the only thing I have found so far is a little bug in Finder that doesn't want you to have more than one window open. Other than that it looks and feels great.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Just downloading, but it will take all day as we are on a tin can and bit of string "broadband" connection here and it is over 5gb!!:eek:

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Bloody computers!

I was hoping for a nice write up of someone's visit to Yosemite which is on my bucket list!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Bloody computers!

I was hoping for a nice write up of someone's visit to Yosemite which is on my bucket list!

Well worth the trip. Some ideas:

1) Staying outside the park is a lot cheaper - near the south gate is the "Blue Butterfly Inn" owned by Ron and Liz Skelton. very popular so need to book very early, but if you do, you will not be disappointed. Lovely couple - Ron used to be one of USA's leading rock climbers
http://www.yosemitebluebutterflyinn.com

2) go fairly early in the season and you will see good waterfalls - august/sept is a waste on money as all the melt water has disappeared

3) Consider an annual national parks pass if you are visiting more than one park

4) Early morning and just before sunset is the best light. At night you can also see the climbers pitching halfway up El Capitan

Did that help???

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
we stayed at Curry village right in centre in their tents (wooden frame, wood, floor old fashioned cast iron beds) it was great fun!

Broken Link Removed

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
USA 092_800_600.jpg
Magnificent, however the last time I went was February 2010 and we had to drive all the way round as the West gate was closed because of snowfall so don't go too early in the season.

As the duck has pointed out, there are some cheaper places outside the Park, I was in a big rented Winnie Damon and was still head spinning from Grand Canyon and Zion National Park.

You will enjoy it I'm sure.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
is it anything like vegemite?

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Anyone upgraded yet? Any issues?

I've done 2 MacBooks at home and the only thing I have found so far is a little bug in Finder that doesn't want you to have more than one window open. Other than that it looks and feels great.
Yup, it was your post that made me think about it actually.

I tend to 'fear change' so it will take a while to get used to :eek:

It looks OK but a little 'flat' I think.......

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Initial thoughts are that it's pretty good. Mail has a nice feel and is quick, and Safari is fast too. I have it on three machine already.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Hi Jim,

I use Yahoo for my mail, I have never used the Apple Mail program since buying the MacBooks 3 years ago because at the time the program tried to load EVERY mail that I had on the Yahoo server (at the time about 15000) :eek:

Do you know if the new one can limit the amount of emails held locally?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Will let you know next week when my new Macbook Pro is delivered.. :D

been a long time since I bought a new Mac.. really looking forward to it..

having had several Macs before so no stranger to OSX .. my 17" G4 Powerbook , bought in 2005 became unusable a year or so ago.. screen all vertical lines , not worth replacing.. .. . RIP Mac ..

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Jim,

I use Yahoo for my mail, I have never used the Apple Mail program since buying the MacBooks 3 years ago because at the time the program tried to load EVERY mail that I had on the Yahoo server (at the time about 15000) :eek:

Do you know if the new one can limit the amount of emails held locally?

Not sure as I refuse to use internet mail and host all mine on our own server. Mail works well. Thats a lot of mail in one inbox, I would archive it all and start again with a clean in box.

I archive my mail every 3 months, just move it into a folder that reflects the date, its there if I want it, and still shows up in searches but it keeps the inbox nice and manageable especially when I use the same IMAP inbox on tablets and phones too.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Will let you know next week when my new Macbook Pro is delivered.. :D

been a long time since I bought a new Mac.. really looking forward to it..

having had several Macs before so no stranger to OSX .. my 17" G4 Powerbook , bought in 2005 became unusable a year or so ago.. screen all vertical lines , not worth replacing.. .. . RIP Mac ..

You'll enjoy the Pro's Jim. The latest batch are something else. (y)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Not sure as I refuse to use internet mail and host all mine on our own server. Mail works well. Thats a lot of mail in one inbox, I would archive it all and start again with a clean in box.

I archive my mail every 3 months, just move it into a folder that reflects the date, its there if I want it, and still shows up in searches but it keeps the inbox nice and manageable especially when I use the same IMAP inbox on tablets and phones too.
Thanks Jim,

Yeah it is a lot (over 20000 now!) but I do have it archived on the Yahoo server............ only problem was that the Apple Mail wanted to load every flipping archived folder!

No probs, I'm happy with Yahoo on the net anyway:)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
After downloading yesterday, finished off the upgrade this morning and quite pleased with it.

Now all Apple have to do is to get IOS 8 working properly and not using their customers to beta test it :mad:

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
After downloading yesterday, finished off the upgrade this morning and quite pleased with it.

Now all Apple have to do is to get IOS 8 working properly and not using their customers to beta test it :mad:

Just wish I had the space to download ios8 to my pad

When I find the mac I can probably do it at the moment it's in a box
Hiding after our move
Apparently I can find it after the important things are done!!!!!!????????

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
They've moved OS X towards more integration with IOS7/8. The more I'm using it the more I like it. One fun thing although probably of limited use is that you can make voice calls from your Mac if your iPhone is connected to the same Wifi network

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Downloaded overnight. All seems ok except for a couple of updates, iMovie and iPhoto, which keep failing.

May just be the site wi fi causing the problem.

:cooler:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Downloaded overnight. All seems ok except for a couple of updates, iMovie and iPhoto, which keep failing.

May just be the site wi fi causing the problem.

:cooler:
Both of those have an update to resume compatibility - check the apps store, they will be there ready to download as soon as you open it up.

Edit - sorry. Misread your post; you are trying to update them but the download is failing. Must read more carefully

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back