Rally Chat Orkney (1 Viewer)

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Really upset we can't go on to this one but the hab check has to be done then to keep the warranty.
Can you not bring it forwards a bit, or get an agreement that it can be done a week late? Must be a common request - being away is what motorhomes are all about!

The DoT allow a MOT test to be done up to a month early without losing anything off the next anniversary, so a bit of leeway on a hab check ought not to be too much to ask.

It would be a shame to get so near & then have to turn round. I'm going to try & rearrange what I was supposed to be doing that week (& the next one - will take a while to get home again!)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Can you not bring it forwards a bit, or get an agreement that it can be done a week late? Must be a common request - being away is what motorhomes are all about!

The DoT allow a MOT test to be done up to a month early without losing anything off the next anniversary, so a bit of leeway on a hab check ought not to be too much to ask.

It would be a shame to get so near & then have to turn round. I'm going to try & rearrange what I was supposed to be doing that week (& the next one - will take a while to get home again!)

It has to be done within two weeks of the anniversary of delivery (to us) of the van. We are already running close to the limit going to Wick!

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
It has to be done within two weeks of the anniversary of delivery (to us) of the van.
Ouch! That sounds unreasonably restrictive!

Might be worth an approach at senior management level to see if you can get a dispensation (early or late). After all, I'm sure they will want to sell you your next van! In addition to your own disappointment, it would be a shame not to have your company.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
It has to be done within two weeks of the anniversary of delivery (to us) of the van. We are already running close to the limit going to Wick!

Can you not get it done on the way up to Wick. Theres a few places at Perth who could probably do it.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Can you not get it done on the way up to Wick. Theres a few places at Perth who could probably do it.

It should be done in the dealers at Derby as it is already paid for ..... two years hab check and hab service came with the van. I know there are a couple of things that need slight adjustment - one Martin's fault (he put the drop down bed down and didn't release one of the cargo net buckles so it has broken - doesn't affect the bed operation but means we should not store anything on the bed when travelling) and one is a standard check and tighten on the drop down bed. We could probably do the second ourselves but the dealer has the proper kit to do it.

The dealer will check and service everything - they say it takes them a whole day and I have seen them doing a hab check and service so I know they are thorough - it's not just the tick box exercise but a real good going over. They pay for a site overnight for you as well so you can get the van to them early - and we would have a day in Derby or in The Derwent Valley.

Doing it before would have been an option but we are away then. We only have until the end of July to get it done :( We also need to be in Norfolk in early August for babysitting duties so a trip down to Derby is sort of on the way.

We will make Orkney and Shetland another year.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We'd love to come. But I'm afraid we can't :crying:
Orkney and Shetland are on our Scottish yet to do list. But it's too far ( for us ) to go for just a short trip.
When we do visit Orkney , we will do it for a week or too , so we can explore.
Please make sure you all post pictures of the islands and its recommended places of interest to whet our appetite. (y)

I'm sure Ralph said the ferries were dearer to Orkney than the Hebredian islands . Any idea , Is this so, or am I imagining it ?

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
We're arriving on the 22nd - have you done this deliberately?:(

Hope everyone has fun and don't wreck the place for us!

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We're arriving on the 22nd - have you done this deliberately?:(

Hope everyone has fun and don't wreck the place for us!
We heard you were coming so thought we would get there first:)

Mar 26, 2015
geordie land
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Delaware
Exp
1980's
Hi :hi: @irnbru, thanks very much for putting us on the list (y) (y) (y) , your a star. Really looking forward to all these meets, can't wait.:clap::dance2::party2:.
:cheers: Mew.

OP
OP
PeterandNicole
Sep 28, 2015
Nr Wick at the top of the Highlands of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Euramobil coachbuilt
Exp
since 2008
no probs Wendy you are added x
Looks like a maximum of 15 on this meet folks, still awaiting ferry etc coming back on pricing xx
List so far ;
ist so far;
Baileybus
Triclops
Ambilkate
Irn Bru
sismon
Clive
Dlt
CWH
Peter and Nicole
SueTayBon
Wendo
Simon the Caller
tjay

Last edited:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Just seeing if Nicole is paying attention :reel::rofl::rofl:

xulih

Free Member
Jan 17, 2017
58.89º North
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Accent
Exp
I'm sure Ralph said the ferries were dearer to Orkney than the Hebredian islands . Any idea , Is this so, or am I imagining it ?

CalMac ferries get RET ( Road Equivalent Tariff) subsidy on top of the gov subsidy so they are cheaper than the ferries to Orkney. We have 2 operators, one private (Pentland Ferries) who operates with no gov subsidy and the other ( Northlink Ferries) who receives millions in gov subsidy.If it wasn't for the private operator creating competition on the route I cant imagine how much the rates would be :(

Mar 26, 2015
geordie land
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Delaware
Exp
1980's
Hi, I take it the Simon on the list is me (simson). Just noticed i've lost my S somewhere along the way. :giggler: . Not bothered as long as simson is going (y) and not someone called simon .
Mew

OP
OP
PeterandNicole
Sep 28, 2015
Funster No
MH
Euramobil coachbuilt
Exp
since 2008
to be honest Ralph n Bev & Xulih the difference between the two is about £20 ! the difference in the ferries is much greater , the Pentalina is like a bog basic catamaran with no frills, the Northlink or calmac is like a mini cruise liner and they automatically offer 10% discount for the over 60, the differnce in price then narrows more. Having travelled on both they are both about 30 miles from my house, for comfort i would go for Northlink and considering the local Pentalina from Pentland ferries wont offer any discount what so ever to our group i personally wont travel with them again. Like i said when i get final prices etc back i will let everyone know x
and Simson sorry slip of the fingers now corrected lol,
Irn bru yep i am here had no internet or telephone for two days am not a happy with bt lol but so pleased i have you to help me xxxxxxx

xulih

Free Member
Jan 17, 2017
58.89º North
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Accent
Exp
I agree with what you say @PeterandNicole (y) Locally there is a east west split in which ferry to use and everyone has the choice to use the operator of their choice for one reason or another but the point I always try to make is that Northlinks fares are set at the level they are because there is another operator on the route, if that competition was not there they would be a lot higher so like or loathe Pentland Ferries everyone gains by them :) Any hoo enough on local politics , depending on what I am doing at the time would it be ok for me to pop along to the meet and say hello :)

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I agree with what you say @PeterandNicole ..... the point I always try to make is that Northlinks fares are set at the level they are because there is another operator on the route, if that competition was not there they would be a lot higher so like or loathe Pentland Ferries everyone gains by them :) ?.....

Indeed, and for that reason alone he gets my support.
@xulih will know this already but for others, the significance of his efforts was recognised with an OBE in 2013. The obstacles he faced in setting up this service are chronicled in a book titled 'Pentland Hero'.

Additionally, this crossing is faster and naturally takes you across the Churchill Barriers if you're heading to Mainland (Orkney's largest island) and takes you past the 'must see' Italian Chapel so, all in all, a very convenient service.

Ian

Jan 24, 2016
Funster No
MH
VW Trident
Exp
Since April 2015
@PeterandNicole have you set an end date for this rally? I have probably missed something obvious knowing me. I am really excited about the various meets in Scotland :)

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Seems crazy to go all the way to Wick from Lincolnshire & then not carry on to Orkney. I'm going to say 'yes please' & now attempt to put everything in place to make it happen!

no probs Wendy you are added x
Looks like a maximum of 15 on this meet folks, still awaiting ferry etc coming back on pricing xx
List so far ;
ist so far;
Baileybus
Triclops
Ambilkate
Irn Bru
sismon
Clive
Dlt
CWH
Peter and Nicole
SueTayBon
Wendo

Hi, I take it the Simon on the list is me (simson). Just noticed i've lost my S somewhere along the way. :giggler: . Not bothered as long as simson is going (y) and not someone called simon .
Mew
I had intended my earlier post to mean 'Yes, please add me to the list'. But then my name is also Simon, so there could be some confusion! :D2

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Hi, Jen and I would like to be be added to the list for this as it will be a great follow on from the Wick meet.
BTW please be advised that anyone travelling with dog has to book a kennel on the Northlink Ferry but dogs are allowed to stay in the Moho on Pentland Ferry crossing !

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
We were at Stromness last year for music festival and Northlink made us put our Yorkie in a small kennel for the crossing but worth checking first. Klaatu may hopefully be right as i think it is a better crossing !!

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
You can also take them with you on deck, if you go to the outdoor viewing area at the rear of deck 6.

OP
OP
PeterandNicole
Sep 28, 2015
Funster No
MH
Euramobil coachbuilt
Exp
since 2008
Tjay quote from northlink page; "Pets may be left in (ventilated) vehicles but NorthLink request that vehicle drivers consider the length of the sailing and be aware that there will be no unaccompanied access to the car deck during the voyage. When onboard the ship passengers should be aware that animals cannot be exercised on the car deck or taken back ashore to be exercised."
the crossing is 90 mins only.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Nicole if I'm reading correctly that the ferry fare is £225 :eek: then I think I will have to give this a miss. I had no idea it would cost that much.

Costs are all adding up for Scotland meets and for that price I would rather wait until I had more time to explore the islands.
Don't know how the others feel but maybe a meet on the mainland might be an alternative depending on your numbers. Just my tuppence worth.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back