Orgiva

Discussion in 'Spain' started by PenelopePitstop, Mar 20, 2016.

1. PenelopePitstop

PenelopePitstop Funster Life Member

We're here in sunny and peaceful Orgiva until about 30th March. Beautiful mountain setting but with lots of warmth. If you've read Chris Stewart's books ( Driving Over Lemons etc) you'll know where we are.
    Anyone else here or coming?

After 5 months in Camping Pinar San Jose we're slowly heading north - need to be back in UK for the Thetford Bash at the end of May - no pressure! ;-) seems the RexFactor band need a drummer so needs must ;-)

Hope to see some of you en route!

• Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

We stayed a couple of nights further up at Pitres in 2014, amazing area but probably a bit cool up there at the moment. Great walking there.

A typical Alpujarra house. The flat roofs are made from flat stones laid over timbers.

PA140345-enhanced.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  3. PenelopePitstop

PenelopePitstop Funster Life Member

It's lovely and warm! 20c today and sunny.
    We've been here every year since 2008 - usually about this time - never disappointed :)
    Plenty of room although I wouldn't recommend bringing a 38ft Rv ;-) Although it has been done in the past!

4. JackieP

JackieP Funster

I'm resurrecting this thread to ask about Orgiva and access. I'd love to visit sometime soon, Can anyone tell me how mountainous it is around this area and if it's a steep climb to Orgiva itself? I know it's on the foothills of the Sierra Nevada but I'm not sure quite how high up!

Can anyone give me any info?

5. vwalan

vwalan Funster

lovely area and not far from lanjaron the place famous for its water.
    not so many teepees there now but it was famous for ther hippy type to lve there.
    its not a problem to get there by road and its not far from the dragon fest place.
    it can be very dusty in orgiva but you cope.
    we take trucks through that area . even better to the east and up through the point de ragua. ideally done late march . you follow the snow plough.
    llok in a book shop for a mapamax map book then go up the pass and on to cazorla national park take the forest road about 5 km north of cuenca .. we do it often . its great . go slow and enjoy the drive .
    but the route around al pujarras is ok .

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

@PenelopePitstop :)

7. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Orgiva isn't very high up and the road is fine from what I remember. We went up to Pitres and stayed at the Balcon de Pitres campsite, which has a steep access road. There's an even higher campsite at Trevelez but we didn't get that far. We saw big coaches at Pitres and the road up there isn't very steep but some of the bends were single track - but no problem as these sections were just on the bends and you could see what was coming the other way.

The villages in the Alpujarras are worth exploring.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Flamenca

Flamenca Funster Life Member

As DBK says, Orgiva is not at a high altitude at all and access is easy. I have also driven up to Trevelez in my old wagon with absolutely no problem. Don't hesitate about exploring the area.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. DiggerJon

DiggerJon Funster

It is the most beautiful part of the world. I went on a walking holiday with my wife around the Carpenteria area. To they day I remember picking and eating fresh figs and mulberries strait from the trees and drinking the sparkling fresh cold water from the mountain springs. This was in late September - happy memories. Oh yes, we also went onto Granada and the Alhambra Palace - magnificent!

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. bellabee

bellabee Funster

You've made me want to go there!

• Like Like x 1
  11. JackieP

JackieP Funster

And me! Oh yes, I was going anyway. :)

Thanks all. I'm starting off my trip this time in Portugal but I've never really enjoyed the parts of Spain I've been to in the past. This trip I really want to get out there and see something different. This area sounds just what I've been waiting for. Now, all I've got to do is drag my ass out of Portugal! :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Viennese

Viennese Funster

Missed this first time round Marie & Rex - but I was looking it up only a couple of days ago. Might pick your brains at Lincoln!!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Funster

We were at Orgiva this year on the way back to UK from Cabo de Gata, Sierra Espuna and Sierra Maria Natural Parks and went for the walking it offers. We were quite disappointed with Orgiva and didn't bother with the campsite higher up at Trevelez.

In February, the campsite at the north eastern end of Orgiva was shut and we stayed at the one at the south eastern end of the town.

We thought that from what we saw of the area, it wasn't a patch on where we'd been. Maybe we didn't go to the right bits?

14. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

We've had 3 or 4 holidays in the Alpujarras. Beautiful "white villages", wonderful trails. Absolutely loved the area. Maybe it's more difficult to find the right spots in a moho? - we only used horses, buses, and walking.

• Like Like x 1
  15. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Orgiva is down in the valley, to see the "High Alpujarra" you need, as the name suggests :) go higher, where there is good, though at time strenuous walking, often amongst largely abandoned terraces.

PA140356-enhanced.jpg

The nearest village in the shot below is Bubion, beyond that Capileira. This was in October and we had excellent weather.

PA150376-enhanced.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Geejay

Geejay Funster

I agree with Hagstrom. Much preferred Sierra Espuna and Guejar Sierra which is on the north side of the Sierra Nevada and Extremadura. In fact, and I'm biased, for sheer beauty and grandeur the Highlands of Scotland can't be beaten. Now, if only we had the weather. But then, all those who I speak to who come from hot climates like our cooler, wetter weather.

• Like Like x 3
  17. vwalan

vwalan Funster

every where as nice scenery .
    round here is fantastic , i had a two hour ride out today lovely views over the st austell bay . then across moorland then views across newquay and the north coast.
    i think most scenery is fantastic in all the places i,ve been . but all very different .
    cant leave the village i live in with out getting splendid scenery . yet many dont see it or look for it.
    can anywhere be beaten or other scenery be better . many in all places dont see it .
    be glad you can , be happy.

• Like Like x 8
  18. Antonio

Antonio Funster

Don't send folk east Alan there is nothing to see. Stay around Orgiva...............wink!

• Like Like x 1