Organising a large rear garage ? (1 Viewer)

dealgan

Free Member
Oct 23, 2007
Donegal, Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2006
I need tips, pointers and suggestions.

Having had our mh for nearly 4 years, I still havent organised the stuff in the large rear garage and it is always a pain to unpack & pack it.

The most I've done is put up some double coat-hangers than I use for water hose, mains cable & everything from raincoats to sandcastle buckets !

I keep threatening to sort it out, so I need your suggestions. I'm sure anyone with a similar rear garage has tackled this already.

AdThanksvance

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
plastic stacking storage boxes....

labelled with contents,

wet stuff (chemicals, hose etc)

everyday stuff (awning pegs, mallet, hookup leads, adaptors etc)

BBQ stuff (skewers, tongs, spatulars etc)

easy to find the box you need and easy to restack.:thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
That's the thing with garage, once the floor is full up, everything is junked in on top of it. Well it was on the garage model I had, I dreaded going in there in the end. Used have the BIG tidy up, but ater a couple of days it was a tip again. One of the kids would go in to get the swingball and that would be that::bigsmile:

Show us a photo of your tidy/organised garage then...:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
Assuming your garage door opens to the side and not upwards? What about some hooks on the inside of the garage door for hook-up cable, hoses etc
Also had an idea about fixing a couple of biggish diameter pipes to the ceiling to slide windbreaks, awning mats, fishing-rods etc into. Dunno if that'd work, i aint got a garage model but our next m/home will-have one.

cheers...nige

markymark

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
New Forest Southampton
Funster No
MH
Swift 6 berth Coach built
Exp
When fixing things to the walls in the garage what is the best way to secure things?

Can you just screw anywhere or is there certain places you need to aim for?

What size screws and what type are best?

I am in the same boat as you Dealgan, would love to fix some sort of shelving or over head storage but a little worried about cocking up the fixing of it.

OP
OP
dealgan

dealgan

Free Member
Oct 23, 2007
Donegal, Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2006
:)

Mine is a Knaus, and has a frame of wooden battons, maybe 1 inch square, that I use for screwing the coat hooks into.

I did have some large plastic boxes against the far wall, but then that got to be a pain as you had to scramble over everything else to get to them, and usually what I wanted was in the bottom one, so I gave up on that idea and only kept 2 side by side.

I also have the double-floor thingy, so I stick the windbreaks in there from teh side lockers.

I'll try & take a pic or two of the space I have this evening & post it here for more feedback :)

Cheers.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I've been looking at our main locker,and with some short screw-in 'eyes' and a selection of bungee cords (Drapers do a box of 4 x 5 different sizes) I have fastened all 'tubular' things,
like Cadac legs and folding chairs against a side wall on top of each other.At B&Q this morn I found a good selection of plastic storage boxes. So,1 about 15" x 10" has smaller containers in it holding short electrical leads (reverse polarity,13amp mains,euro socket etc) another has various water adaptors,the spare bulb kit is in there-cos it fitted nicely,there's a pair of thick rubber gloves and any bits and bobs one might need on arrival somewhere. A large box has walking boots,over trousers,tripods and 'scopes,my camera bag,cycling shoes,crash helmets-basically all our outdoorsey stuff. All the hookup leads and water hoses have gone into gas locker for now-they just slide in between the gas bottles and the wall and it won't matter if they are wet. There's more to do yet,but I can already see that things are easier to get at and are taking less space than when they were all just chucked in ::bigsmile: Wonder how long I'll keep it up :ROFLMAO:

Mike.

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
I apply a totally logical approach to storing everything in the MH garage. Then I take it all out again and put in the way Kath wants it!!! :ROFLMAO:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Several self-adhesive hooks along the back wall to hold rucksacks, walking poles, hose reel etc. (I think 3M make a strong version in several sizes - also removable using heat if you need to).

Then, across the front of the garage, there is a raised platform containing services below. Storage boxes and other items sit on this and I have fixed a retaining bar at the back of the platform to keep them in place. Other than that, I use storage boxes in the main well of the garage when needed, or retain larger items (bikes, gennie, bridging ladders, barbecue etc.) with tie-downs attached to sliding rings that run in a track down either side.

Philip

OP
OP
dealgan

dealgan

Free Member
Oct 23, 2007
Donegal, Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2006
OK, here it is.

IMG_9314Large-1.jpg

IMG_9315Large.jpg

IMG_9316Large.jpg

so, now what ?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I use elasticated nets, the sort of thing you use for keeping your luggage etc in place (eg what bikers users to keep stuff secured on to their rack), cheap and they have several hooks which you can 'hook' (funnily enough!) onto various suitable points in the motorhome.

As our van doesn't have wooden battens, only aluminium, I mnaged to push loops of material round the back and tie them off, with a dangling loop - this then gave places for me to hook bungie straps etc onto to to keep items in place. One of the hooky elastic nets can also be used on the underside of the base of the bed (on the slats if they are visible) and lighter bulky items can be safely stored in there - we use ours for life jackets (we've got canoes). Other items are kept in small plastic crates - not too big otherwise they are a begger to grab hold of and pull out, and 'square' bags, ie not too big again (an old National Trust square canvas type picnic cooler bag is ideal for a few tools). I've also got a couple of old chest freezer wire baskets for more bulky stuff - easy to see what's in them.

Some good strong, thick and long bungie straps are used to secure chairs etc against the front of the garage and small tables at the rear, flat against the sides, and they also keep our 2 bicycles tightly secured against the inside of the rear wall when they're in there too (with an old towel between them to stop them chipping each other - old socks are ideal for the pedals!).

One other thing I forgot to mention - have a look at car boot organisers - I've got one that is meant to be fastened, on press-studs (which you stick on), onto the back of the rear car seat, but works just as well when the fixing press-studs are mounted on the garage wall.

Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back