Oradour-sur-Glane... (1 Viewer)

Jun 22, 2011
Onchan, Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
We were there in October, had been on our list of things to do for some years. Very pleased we made it although we will not revisit. It did occur to me that the EU project has done so much good for Europe, hope Brexit does not put things backwards.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Mans inhumanity to man. I was in the forces but could never obey that kind of order!

Would be a difficult decision if disobeying meant the firing squad,,BUSBY,,,

Jun 22, 2011
Onchan, Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
This was SS, highly trained and motivated. Not run of the mill conscripts.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
This was SS, highly trained and motivated. Not run of the mill conscripts.
Quite a few French amongst them..They were from Alsace which Germany annexed from France when they invaded,,,BUSBY,,

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I went there about 16years ago , and with a caravan at that time
Whilst still a few miles away we found a parking area , and happened to come across a memorial "stone" with engraving IIRC
that mentioned an attack by resistance on a SS column that was en-route to northern France in response to the invasion and the Commanding officer who was very loved by his men was killed .
This would seem to be the explanation for the action of the SS.
I thought at the time that the "unexplained" description of the atrocity was not logical in respect of German military actions. JMHO

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Can I suggest to those that intent to visit that they go to the village first and then the interpretation centre. The village is free to visit and I think it as part of its constitution it has to be.

A sketchy knowledge of what it is is enough. Then exit and reenter through the interpretation centre (you then pay your fee). You will then see how such evil can be done by human beings in the control of a very nasty movement.

Otherwise you are all horrored out by the time you get in the village.

Entrance the same, I think that there is a discrete right fork on the way in that will take you straight to the village.

Dick

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
When l last visited the site l noticed a number of Germans walking around the village and l wondered how awkward some of them must feel even though it was such a long time ago?
Also, as others have posted the same comment, there is a distinct lack of bird song in the village too.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
When l last visited the site l noticed a number of Germans walking around the village and l wondered how awkward some of them must feel even though it was such a long time ago?

Our part of the Lot has a number of memorial plaques to locals murdered by the Germans en route to N France after D-Day. We tend not to see many German tourists. Cause and effect?

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Also, as others have posted the same comment, there is a distinct lack of bird song in the village too.
If they are older Germans maybe some , and even some that were born after the war had a guilt complex about what they had no control over , but surprisingly even some very young Germans that I have spoken with still have a bit , but I think that is more down to the PC culture that exists in Germany (much like here) .
There seems to be a decline in birds in mainland Europe generally from my observation on last couple of trips ,particularly Germany anyone else feel this ?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
If they are older Germans maybe some , and even some that were born after the war had a guilt complex about what they had no control over , but surprisingly even some very young Germans that I have spoken with still have a bit , but I think that is more down to the PC culture that exists in Germany (much like here) .
There seems to be a decline in birds in mainland Europe generally from my observation on last couple of trips ,particularly Germany anyone else feel this ?
Big decline in UK,,BUSBY,,

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Big decline here too. The one I miss most is the curlew, a wonderfully evocative call that would always tell me when I was home. Haven't heard them now for more than a decade.

Maybe to do with the decline in flying insects. Remember those country lanes at night with so many moths that it was like driving through a blizzard? Haven't seen that since the 60s.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Surprisingly haven't noticed drop in types visiting our garden , even having to keep the chicks in till they get to a decent size as we've got an eagle (Kite ?)that drops in now and again ! Maybe a bit of paranoia ?:)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Didn't like to say this before but now the thread has widened out a bit, in the village itself there is nothing for birds to sing about as it is just ruins , not a lot of food about and people walking about all the time is not conducive to birds, but we have found there aren't a lot of birds anywhere in France like it is here, there was something on the tv the other night about changing habitat for birds here, but as one lot move out , others move in, it's how it's always been.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back