Oradour sur glane (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
We are going to France at end of October for a week via the tunnel. Do you know how far Oradour is from the tunnel and I assume it's not closed off in the autumn/winter months?
Do you know If there is somewhere for motorhomes to park there?
Few questions here, I know, but would appreciate your help.
Thanks

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
From tunnel approx 7/8 hours.
It will be open.
Really good aire there.
About 45 minutes from Parc Verger

Hope that helps!

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
There is an Aires in the car park area. Not sure how far it is from the tunnel but i'de say its in the centre of France. We visited it when staying in the Limousin.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Aire
Oradour%20sur%20glane.jpg

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
We stayed at Oradour a few years ago in February(?). The aire was open but the facilities were closed. And it was cold! It was the only time our frost protection has kicked in when we were in the van.
When we visited the memorial there were very few people about and odd flakes of snow drifting in the wind. Much more atmospheric than a busy summer.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
We arrived at the aire the night before and spent the whole day there, it is really worth going to. The aire was quiet, got a good nights sleep there.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Large aire within walking distance sign posted and quiet. Toilets and water there. Very moving place enjoy and remember

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Excellent place to visit, and it's free (if you don't visit the exhibition). Can't say it's enjoyable as such, but you have to go.

Reactions: f6c
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
It stays with you, the visit. I was born in 1942. There's a picture of the children in the class of '42, all of them were murdered. It's a very telling, and chilling, reminder - to leave the whole village as it was. Oddly enough, I saw no German visitors while I was there. What are we like, us humans?

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Be sure to take an umbrella if the weather looks like it could rain ,there is nowhere to take cover whilst in the village.

Findlaters

Free Member
Jun 14, 2009
North East Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Into our 4th year
We visited last year. The car park has plenty of MH parking bays. It was late in the afternoon when we arrived, after visiting the village (which was very moving) we intended going to the aire, but when we got back to the van we noticed that most of the vans looked like they were settling in for the night. The Belgian couple who were parked beside us, told us the aire was full and they were staying the night, so we did. We had no problems and a very good nights sleep.

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
There is enough reading about the events and people involve here http://www.oradour.info/ to keep you going for a month or three.

If you want to stay a little north of the place I recommend St Benoit-du-Sault (46.441474, 1.393148). A few miles off J20 of the A20, list in the most beautiful villages in France. Parking is free, water is two euros using a credit card and the free WiFi from the tourist Office reaches the MH parking spaces.

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
we were there last month. very moving place. the aire is ok but not flat,and the bays are a bit small for larger mh.
we moved to parc verger for 3 nights, and if you use the toll roads you can do calias in about 7 hours.
we stayed at cite europa before catching an early ferry .

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
If in France and near here, YOU MUST visit. Then have a hard think of what is going on in world!!. It will not be an enjoyable visit but a visit is a must.
colyboy

Terry and Jan

Free Member
Feb 25, 2014
Saltash,Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
We have looked up the village and the story, very moving. Since we will be going through Limoges next week we intend to go and 'take a look' and stop over on our way towards the Loire Valley, thank you!

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
It is a very special place and should be treated with respect.

Unfortunately when we were there, a couple were laughing and joking doing selfies with the church in the background, and they were old enough to know better :(

Andrew

Nethernut

Free Member
Apr 25, 2011
NE Scotland
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
We were there two weeks ago, had a job holding back the tears in the hall where the actual massacre was described. There were several parties of school kids there when we were, including a large group of Brit teenagers, none of them were making any noise, in fact they hardly spoke going round, everyone was very respectful and stunned at the awfulness of the thing.
Another place we visited this trip was the Bretonne museum of the resistance in St Marcel, this is the spot where the resistance first won a battle against the German army. Very interesting museum, worth a visit. We stayed on the lovely free aire at Malestroit.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
It may be my imagination but there seemed to be a total lack of birdsong in the old village.
We hadn't noticed it until we left the village and climbed the slope from the underground museum and entrance. At the top we stopped to get our breath and sat on a low wall with a blackbird singing in the bushes behind us. It was only then that we realised we hadn't noticed any birdsong during the hour or so we had walked round.
Did we imagine it?
Have others noticed the same thing?
If you are visiting soon please remember to listen out and report back. It would be interesting to know.

Richard.

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We had the same regarding little if no birdsong?The child's toy push chair that has been left in the church is so symbolic. Very moving experience.I think I'm right in saying that it's part of the french school corriculum for every child to visit Orador sur glane.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
I noticed on the website it says no dogs. Is this the whole site or certain areas, how close is the parking to the village as we could leave her in the motor home for short periods.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I noticed on the website it says no dogs. Is this the whole site or certain areas, how close is the parking to the village as we could leave her in the motor home for short periods.
The aire is quite a walk away from the old village but there is day parking quite close by.
Although it's a couple of years since we were there I'm sure there was room for motorhomes in the car parks.

Richard.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
When we were there, admittedly 6 years ago, they had a covered area where you could tie the dogs up out of the sun, complete with bowls of water. (y)

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We noticed no birds at all and therefore no song when we visited some years ago. I felt the church did not feel like any church I have ever been in, weird - it was just a completely barren building that made me want to cry. After we left Pete said what he thought. That all the souls of all the people who ever lived there, have left.

Not far from Limoges is a village called Sussac where the local group of the Resistance which Violette Tsabo belonged to, were based. She was killed by the Germans not far from the village on the way from there to Mont Gargan, and there is a very simple memorial to her at a 'V' in the road. We hadn't realised before the moment we came across the memorial - that this was the reason the old café in the centre of the village, didn't look as though the old frontage, the shopfront, had been painted for decades. The café isn't there now - but it's frontage is preserved and no doubt it has been decorated, but to look as if it hasn't.

Very interesting story - Google the name! Lac de Vassiviere (on the plateau de Millevaches, but although there were plenty in the fields between Sussac and Vassiviere, we never spotted any paddling in the lake)is also on that side of the motorway and is absolutely enormous - worth a detour to go and see it some time!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back