Oradour-sur-Glane Mixed up emotions (1 Viewer)

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Today we went to Oradour-sur-Glane which is abouyt 20 miles from Parc Verger
For anyone that does not know this is the town that the Nazis took reprisal upon and bombed and burned out the village killing all its residents, this in itself was a mistake as they should have attacked Oradour-sur-Vaynes, the next town to Parc Verger.
the town thankfully has been left more or less as it was following the destruction and massacre in June 1944.
I have included a few pictures to help anyone to comprehend the state that so many towns and cities were left in after the second world war as many of us are still too young to remember just what stupidity took place.
I am seldom given to emotions but all I could feel was anger, sadness and above all that such stupidity is taking place even today. I cannot comprehend how so so many people could have been brainwashed to carry out such crime certainly as I feel after the visit if I received such a command from above I would shoot the commander.
I really believe that every politicians office, church, mosque, temple and school should have a selection of these pictures hanging on the wall

To think that it is still going on around the world is beyond my comprehension

Any one in authority that is capable of brainwashing ordinary people or to give an order to aim a bomb or rocket at someone else should in my opinion be stuck in solitary confinement for the rest of their lives

If you are down this neck of the woods the place is well worth a thought provoking visit

Attachments

• Oradour sur Glane 010 (Medium).jpg
    Oradour sur Glane 010 (Medium).jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 83
  • Oradour sur Glane 023 (Medium).jpg
    Oradour sur Glane 023 (Medium).jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 73
  • Oradour sur Glane 019 (Medium).jpg
    Oradour sur Glane 019 (Medium).jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 73
  • Oradour sur Glane 034 (Medium).jpg
    Oradour sur Glane 034 (Medium).jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 72
  • Oradour sur Glane 033 (Medium).jpg
    Oradour sur Glane 033 (Medium).jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 74

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Alan

We visited it last summer and have to say was a very humbling experience, Sophie and her friend where with us and even though they are only young it really made them feel sad even though they have done history in books at school this really hit home of the effects on peoples lives during the war.

I dont know if it was just in my head but i thought there was a smell of burning maybe it was just me and my imagination.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We were their a week or two ago, just before we left that area because of the rotten weather you brought with you. Very moving and more so because there was no apparent reason for the massacre. The guy responsible did not appear to be acting under orders and the theory that he got the wrong village seemss unlikely as he only took 150 men out of the 850 available to him, which doesnt make sense if he thought he was attacking a known stronghold of the resistance. The blurb at the site calls them martyrs, I disagree, they did not die for a cause, they died for no known reason, and that makes it even harder to accept.:cry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We were there at the weekend as were a couple of other Funsters.

A very sad reminder of what certain members of the human race can be capable of, but we never seem to learn as the same atrocities are still being committed right now around the world.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Today we went to Oradour-sur-Glane which is abouyt 20 miles from Parc Verger
For anyone that does not know this is the town that the Nazis took reprisal upon and bombed and burned out the village killing all its residents, this in itself was a mistake as they should have attacked Oradour-sur-Vaynes, the next town to Parc Verger.
the town thankfully has been left more or less as it was following the destruction and massacre in June 1944.
I have included a few pictures to help anyone to comprehend the state that so many towns and cities were left in after the second world war as many of us are still too young to remember just what stupidity took place.
I am seldom given to emotions but all I could feel was anger, sadness and above all that such stupidity is taking place even today. I cannot comprehend how so so many people could have been brainwashed to carry out such crime certainly as I feel after the visit if I received such a command from above I would shoot the commander.
I really believe that every politicians office, church, mosque, temple and school should have a selection of these pictures hanging on the wall

To think that it is still going on around the world is beyond my comprehension

Any one in authority that is capable of brainwashing ordinary people or to give an order to aim a bomb or rocket at someone else should in my opinion be stuck in solitary confinement for the rest of their lives

If you are down this neck of the woods the place is well worth a thought provoking visit

the problem with putting such pictures up in places like mosques is that they teach their children that things like the nazi holocaust never happened.:Eeek:

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
we are visiting here next easter 2013.

I read somewhere the rounding up and killings were something to do with gold bullion going missing whilst being transported.

Its last known place en route was oradour sur
glane. The gold was thought never to be found, thats why i'm going, i'll share with any other funsters who'll be there:winky:

adriacoral

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
shropshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
We were there with our 2 children of 15 and 12 in july. They both have a basic understanding of the war but i think seeing Oradour really brought it home to them. For youngsters I was impressed with the questions they asked and how moved and interested they were. Too many teenagers have no understanding and would call it 'boring'....We were in France for 5 weeks and the only day we had rain was when we visited Oradour....how very fitting!!!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Well worth a visit. We did it in 2008. Half a dozen photos Link Removed

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I am not sure if the post about the gold is serious or light hearted.

I would find it impossible to believe anyone could be light hearted about this tragic event AFTER a visit there.

As I walked around the places where this horror took place I asked myself what would I have done if ordered to take part.

We are all certain we know the answer but until we are really tested, do we?

JJ

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back