Oracle VM VirtualBox

Discussion in 'Computers' started by ShiftZZ, Dec 17, 2013.

1. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

Anyone ever used it?

Thoughts?

2. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I sometimes have to support my clients windows needs so have a copy of windows installed in virtualbox which I boot up off my Linux system.

It is very good software and very easy to use.

The strange thing is Windows actually boots faster under linux on VirtualBox than it does on the hardware direct :Rofl1:

I have been using it since before Sun bought it off Innotek and before Oracle bought Sun....I use it a lot for things where I need direct access to the hardware which KVM doesn't support.

Nowdays I use KVM which is the built in virtualisation for Linux. But I do fall back on Virtual box when I need to give windows direct access to certain hardware (pass thru)

3. DiggerJon

DiggerJon Funster

Virtual box

Free to download and easy to install. I use it to run Windows XP on a MacBook and it is quick and efficient once you have worked out how to get USBs to work!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Serendipitous

Serendipitous Funster

Yes, excellent software & free.

Useful to run in windows and install a windows in it. If you save the windows installed in virtual box as a master copy. if you pick up something nasty whilst surfing you just kill the virtual box your running and load up another copy of the master windows install.

As far as I'm aware (anyone know for sure) that your host windows system is safe fro anything that the virtual box picks up.

Quite interesting running mac OSX in windows or vista / Xp on win 7.

Think you will find a couple of tutorials on Utube.

:thumb:

• Like Like x 1