Opposite of winterisation. How to?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Mousy, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Mousy

Mousy Funster Life Member

Hi, we are ready to load up the motorhome and sped off for the weekend, showering with our new ecocamel shower head and drying my hair with the newly fitted inverter.

We drained down for the big freeze that never came, removed the particulate filter etc

Do we just fill up with water now or is there a special way of getting the water back through the system? I'm worried about running the pump empty. Do I fill up, run all the taps on cold, set the heater then run the hot taps?

Any thing else I should do?

Also should I put the fridge onto gas to cool down before we leave or just put it on the battery as we drive. Or EHU before we go?

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies.

2. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

Hi
    I will start with a couple of things-----Fill the water tank----look for leaks---turn pump on----look for leaks/drains left open-----turn on taps (I do one at a time) to bleed air from the system.
    Run fridge on 240v for at least 24 hours before you intend to put stuff in it----they do take a while to get down to operating temp.
    Nigel

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mousy

LEAKS:Eeek:

4. rangitira

rangitira Funster

Fill 'er up Open the tap furthest from the pump turn on the pump, the tap will fart and spit for a while then a continuous supply of water, Turn off then open the next nearest and so on. When it comes to the hot, Once again the furthest HOT Tap no need to turn gas on or light the boiler etc, This will be a longer wait cause you have to fill the boiler, mine takes 11 litres, it's a simple as that.

Check outside underneath, see if there is any water spurting out, pump continuing to run et, Sometimes the non return valve on the boiler, (A red thingee about 50-70mm from the top has a clear plastic tube going down thro the floor) nakkers out and you need to replace it, simple job easily done, cost around £10 at your Caravan supply place, I always carry a spare.
    If you got an automatic dump valve for frost protection, check that is closed.
    Don't worry, you'll soon get into the swing of things
    :thumb:
    I turn the fridge on on EHU 2-3 days beforec the off, gets it down to a cool temp. Then as I'm on the run have it on 12volt
    NEVER NEVER EVER!!! RUN ANY APPLIANCE ON GAS WHEN YOU ARE TRAVELLING!!!!!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  5. cmcardle75

cmcardle75 Read Only Funster

No. Do not turn on the heater until you're getting uninterrupted cold water from the hot taps. Only then is the heater full and safe to turn on. Otherwise, you might be sticking your gas burner under an empty pan, and we don't do that in the kitchen for long...

EHU will be cheapest. Gas will be as quick, but more expensive. It will take ages to cool down on 12V, as the element is much smaller. In a few cases, you can use 230V AND gas for rapid cool-down, but always check the manual first to see if this is specifically allowed, as many fridges could be fried by doing this.

In any case, try to cool down anything you put in before you stick it in the fridge. Evap fridges are slow and not good for cooling down warm things quickly. They're best just keeping cold things cold. If your beer is cold already, it won't warm your bacon for the day it takes to get to a reasonable temperature.

6. The Wino

The Wino Funster

I would put a couple of ice packs from the freezer at home (the ones used in a cool bag) in the fridge to cool it down quicker and make sure the food goes in cold

David

7. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

At this time of year when it's around freezing at night, I wouldn't bother pre-cooling the fridge. Everything you put in will be already cold and it's only got to go down a few degrees, likewise freezer will be fine if the stuff you put in is already frozen. Bit different in the summer though.

8. Mousy

Thanks for all the great replies. Can't wait to get going this weekend. Loads of little jobs to do (fettling) in the van before the off. Spring is almost here...bring it on :BigGrin:

9. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

If you are only going for a weekend, I wouldn't bother with the fridge - what do you need chilling? Most things will cope with not being kept in the fridge - UHT milk is great and we find that it lasts more than 24hrs out of the fridge. Red wine rather than beer or white and meat will keep frozen for 18 hrs or more if kept insulated.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mousy

But darhling I only drink my champers chilled..Patsy is my middle name!

• Like Like x 4
  11. pegleg

pegleg

Boiler

On my Motorhome there is a safety switch on the boiler and can only stay on when the van in side is more than 8 degrees temperature its so water will not freeze in boiler or pipes etc ,has if its gets to 8 degrees or below the valve opens and water is empty out ,hope this can help you have a brill time Steve
    :thumb: