May 9, 2016
Near Fareham
Funster No
MH
Burstner iXeo
Exp
Since 2016 - UK & Europe
Has anyone bought/used one of these?

BESTEK 300W Power Inverter DC 12V to 230V AC Converter with AC Outlet and 3.1A Dual USB Car Charger - £25.99 on Amazon

We run a laptop in the van and hope to wild camp most of the summer in Europe. All our other gadgets can be charged via a USB 12v adapter, it's only the laptop that needs 240v. This seems very cheap and makes me a bit wary - not so much the risk of losing cash, more blowing up the laptop.

Thanks

Alan & Jackie

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I have copied a link to something I guess is pretty much what you are talking about

I use pretty much the same, juts a different make, bought from Maplins, but only 175W

The negatives I am often told about

It is not pure sine wave, not really sure how important that is when the laptop supply is going through a transformer

A direct DC power supply rather than mains charger is more efficient, although I am yet to be convinced and you get 2 x USB at the same time, plus in our case we can charge 2 laptops at the same time from the inverter so better than having 2 x 12V power supplies

Others will have a different opinion (y) but I like what you propose, we also mainly use it while travelling so zero impact on our leisure battery

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I have copied a link to something I guess is pretty much what you are talking about

I use pretty much the same, juts a different make, bought from Maplins, but only 175W

The negatives I am often told about

It is not pure sine wave, not really sure how important that is when the laptop supply is going through a transformer

A direct DC power supply rather than mains charger is more efficient, although I am yet to be convinced and you get 2 x USB at the same time, plus in our case we can charge 2 laptops at the same time from the inverter so better than having 2 x 12V power supplies

Others will have a different opinion (y) but I like what you propose, we also mainly use it while travelling so zero impact on our leisure battery
Transformers in PSUs are disappearing rapidly hence the feather-weight phone chargers. Pure sine wave was most important when feeding inductive devices like motors and transformers - it's pretty irrelevant when feeding a modern (switched-mode) PSU that needs (and has) extensive output filtering in itself. Even the 12v laptop power supplies use the same technology and their output has similar filtering to make it acceptable to the appliance being fed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back