Opinion from German Van owners. Re: TecTower vs Thetford Over (1 Viewer)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I asked only for German van owner to reply as most with Brit vans will favour a full cooker.

Although a oven is not essential they are handy, on the Hymer with have on order we have 3 options:

1) Dometic TecTower

2) Thetford Asphire Cooker

3) Dealer fit oven under the hob.

We ruled out option 3 as we prefer it to be manufacturered fitted.

We originaly ordered the van with the Thetford cooker the boss is now having second thoughts as we will loose a lot of storage space and it doesn't look very pretty. It has an electric burner but not much use to us as we rarely use EHU, & the hob part looks a bit naff. From people we know with them the oven works quite well but the grill is naff.

The TecTower retains the smart looking large 3 burnner hob and the kitchen area looks a whole lot better, dowside is the performance of the oven is not brillant, grill naff we know we have had two of them. They are high up and the boss is only 4'10" but we can just about live with it.
With this option we keep plenty of storeage in the kitchen & probably a better option when we come to sell particularly if trading in, in Europe.

$_57.jpg

Not the same kitchen layout but gives you an idea.

11px-57b703cc07d6f.png

So what do you think guys & girls?

Last edited:

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Lenny, we've got the tec tower and I agree with your thoughts on it but I wouldn't want to loose all my storage for a better option that we only rarely use. Whereas my drawers are being opened all the time.

So a vote for the tower from me.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We have the Tec Tower but without the grill in the oven - works pretty well for us. We use it to cook part baked bread, pizzas, lasagne etc.
We like the 3 burner hob too
However - the oven is very high off the ground, if it's mounted above the Truma Boiler and a shorter person might find this dangerous.

My vote therefore is for Option 2 based on safety alone
Safety is more important than storage

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
That's the problem I have' I agree with you both, I talked Mi into the Thetford on both safety grounds and it has a better oven but she prefers the look of the TecTower and wants the storeage.
We will probably keep the van a few years (said that about this van it's 2 years old) we could be in our seventies before we change again, oh boy that is frightening.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
I personally prefer a full cooker,hence why I bought a Frankia which is one of the few German manufacturers to fit one.Really not keen on the tectower because of the height of it,not that I'am short just see it as a health hazard and the associated hinge problems.The electric ring isn't great but if on hook up it saves gas,like toasting and the oven is ok.

Last edited:

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
We have the tec tower and I don't use the oven because it's too high and I would hate to have to clean it. But I love the fridge freezer. We manage very well with a halogen oven and a Remoska both easy to clean. I would love it if it was possible to replace the tec tower oven with a microwave.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
I'd go for the tec tower. It looks better, and I prefer the extra storage space.
We have no oven in our Hymer. We had the tec tower in our Burstner, and I don't miss the oven, at all.

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Tech tower in our Burstner, I wouldn't want to loose the storage either. Mostly just the two of us, we just warm things up in the oven, part baked bread, pizza, lasagne all pretty clean, non splashing stuff, agree grill is pants. On sites we cook mostly with an electrical gadget of one type or another or gas cobb outside. Would you use the oven often enough to warrant the loss of storage?

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
VERY HAPPY with the TEC tower in my Knaus.... Used it last night to tray bake chicken thighs with chorizo, peppers, onions, carrots, tats n' garlic.... Erbs n' olive oil..

I purchased a small fold-up plastic step-up stool to stand on ... (Also used for cleaning the large front screen) used when cooking "wet" tray stuff like that in the oven.... ( btw I'm 5'7'' )

Cooked baked tats the night before ... And got crispy skins :)

Last week it was a beef casserole - cooked in half DS with an oven-proof lid from another pan I have.

I have also cooked such things as fancy stuffed and tied pork loin (prepared in Moho) too...

I will try yorkie puds at some point - it may struggle - or I may be surprised !!... TBA.

I think it's a case of making allowances ... I.e it's not as efficient as a household domestic oven/grill.... But will function adequately ... If allowances are made to let it get to temp... Then resist opening every 5 mins...

Like I said in a post some time ago.... You wouldn't want to cook a Christmas dinner for 14 with it... But in a "camping situation" it is perfectly do-able to cook decent food for - in my case four (me and my three hungry lads when they come away with me)

Also used the grill for stuff like toast/cheese on toast with results as good as home grill....

ps. I full time and cook often... And would describe myself - as do all I have cooked for over the years - as very competent in the kitchen - thanks to my mother... And years of practice.. :)

John T

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We have the tec tower in our hymer and happy with it. We are never planning on full roast dinners. Just wanted something to heat quiche, puzza etc. Love the drawers and wouldn't want to lose for the oven. I am talk enough but some cupboards are really high so have a folding step.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We have a tec tower in our Pilote and I hate it! It is just soooooo slow to cook anything and the grill bit is worse than useless. I've just bought a double skillet and am hoping this will allow me to rely less on the tt oven. Our previous 2 vans had a proper oven and our next one definitely will.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
We've never experienced the use of a Tec Tower, but have viewed many when looking at other MHs. Rita doesn't like the the idea of an oven that high up, and from a safety point of view, neither do I. :(
Most owners of the Tec Tower system we've spoken to, aren't very keen on them either.

Our setup (much older admittedly) is the Smev oven with grill (useless) and rotisserie, under a 3 x burner hob, which Rita loves and uses on a regular basis.
If we had to forego an oven in favour of storage, the Double Skillet would suffice for what we do, and the single flat induction hob (easily stored) when on EHU, which is very rarely.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
Interesting posts, thanks. I've been looking for a replacement for our SMEV grill/oven combo which are both pants. Is there any which actually work well?

Nov 9, 2015
North Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MC-I B 580
Exp
Since 2005
We have the tec tower and I don't use the oven because it's too high and I would hate to have to clean it. But I love the fridge freezer. We manage very well with a halogen oven and a Remoska both easy to clean. I would love it if it was possible to replace the tec tower oven with a microwave.
I do not know if it is possible to replace the oven with a microwave but it is certainly possible to specify the tec tower with a microwave instead of an oven. So long as there is nothing in the way having it all lowered to a more reasonable height is also possible. I know because it was done for us - well done Southdowns!

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Lenny
Had tec tower now have oven on 598. Melanie too short for the first and also short for cupboard above f/freezer! we have used oven and grill on this van but only a couple of times a week whilst away for 3 weeks and haven't used electric hob ring only the gas, as like you, never on hook up.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
We had a microwave combination oven fitted underneath the fridge in our Carthago by Elite. We lost one big drawer and Sue sits on the floor to use it but it's safe!

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
We have the Thetford oven fitted in ours. Yes, you do lose some storage but we do use our oven quite a lot. The oven works very well, and I agree with your comments on the grill (although we only ever use this for toast, but it makes a great plate warmer).

Personally I would not go for a etc tower simply on safety grounds. There is no way I'd want to be taking out a food from an oven at the heights involved (whether it is a micro or conventional oven). I can't comment on how efficient it is, never had one.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We have the tech tower and it works fine for us, the large fridge freezer a must.
Win is five foot nothing so oven difficult for her so I do the ins and outs for safety.
Our Remoska is an excellent backup to the oven when on hook up.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
The larger floor mounted oven/ cooker was one of the major considerations when we switched from the Carthago we planned to buy to the Frankia. The Carthagp did not have a grill either. As regards the electric plate on the hob Jackie has been known to forget all about it on the few occasions we have used EHU.
I can see the appeal of the extra storage drawers but it's not as if we don't have enough room.

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
I can see the appeal of the extra storage drawers but it's not as if we don't have enough room.
I like the drawers especially the bottom one that is deep enough to hold all our pans. As we are having to change our van we are looking at lots of options in the kitchen area. Ideally for us it would be the large fridge freezer, hob that is big enough to fit pans on all burners, and drawers under. Before we bought our current van I thought a full oven was a must as I cook a lot. But now I think having a cooker in the van adds to the heat on a hot day and smells ( I'm a bit paranoid about smells in the van :eek:)so much prefer to cook outside if possible. If on EHU I put the halogen or Remoska outside on a table if not we use the cadac or inside hob.

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I do not know if it is possible to replace the oven with a microwave but it is certainly possible to specify the tec tower with a microwave instead of an oven. So long as there is nothing in the way having it all lowered to a more reasonable height is also possible. I know because it was done for us - well done Southdowns!
Microwave no good to us until they make one that runs off gas.:)
Did think about the possibilty of lowering the TecTower but that would put the bottom vent above the burnner making servicing and repairs difficult. Not rerally an option with the poor realiabilty and performance of the 8505 series fridges.

Last van we used a small fold up step in the current van tower is beside the bed so can stand on the bottom step.

Floydster

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 21, 2013
Where ever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A lifetime
In our van we have no oven, we use double skillet, remouska (on hook up or on inverter whilst travelling)
or use the cadac outside (not whilst travelling :D).
All these mean we can do anything that an oven can do.(y)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We have the TEC tower in our Hymer. It sits on the floor so the top oven is at just the right height for us both. We have seen other Hymers with a cupboard under which makes the oven too high. So check with the dealer exactly how it will be fitted in your model.

Don't expect to do a full roast though because the oven is small. Suits us because we like simple meals in the motorhome and it warms up pies and ready meals well. However the grill is not very good for toast though.

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I've already checked it has draw under it and is mounted at the same height as our current van even though it is not over a wheel arch.
We have had two vans with TecTower so are awear of their limitations, may just put up with it as looks so much better than the Thetford cooker.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
We have the tec tower in our hymer. The hob has 3 gas rings and the split glass cover as in your picture.. If you use a reasonable size pan you will end up burning the pan support plastic thingys, unless dometic have changed the design since 2012/13.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back