Opinion from German Van owners. Re: TecTower vs Thetford Over

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Lenny HB, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

I asked only for German van owner to reply as most with Brit vans will favour a full cooker.

Although a oven is not essential they are handy, on the Hymer with have on order we have 3 options:

1) Dometic TecTower

2) Thetford Asphire Cooker

3) Dealer fit oven under the hob.

We ruled out option 3 as we prefer it to be manufacturered fitted.

We originaly ordered the van with the Thetford cooker the boss is now having second thoughts as we will loose a lot of storage space and it doesn't look very pretty. It has an electric burner but not much use to us as we rarely use EHU, & the hob part looks a bit naff. From people we know with them the oven works quite well but the grill is naff.

The TecTower retains the smart looking large 3 burnner hob and the kitchen area looks a whole lot better, dowside is the performance of the oven is not brillant, grill naff we know we have had two of them. They are high up and the boss is only 4'10" but we can just about live with it.
    With this option we keep plenty of storeage in the kitchen & probably a better option when we come to sell particularly if trading in, in Europe.

$_57.jpg

Not the same kitchen layout but gives you an idea.

11px-57b703cc07d6f.png

So what do you think guys & girls?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  2. Mousy

Mousy Funster Life Member

Lenny, we've got the tec tower and I agree with your thoughts on it but I wouldn't want to loose all my storage for a better option that we only rarely use. Whereas my drawers are being opened all the time.

So a vote for the tower from me.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

We have the Tec Tower but without the grill in the oven - works pretty well for us. We use it to cook part baked bread, pizzas, lasagne etc.
    We like the 3 burner hob too
    However - the oven is very high off the ground, if it's mounted above the Truma Boiler and a shorter person might find this dangerous.

My vote therefore is for Option 2 based on safety alone
    Safety is more important than storage

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

That's the problem I have' I agree with you both, I talked Mi into the Thetford on both safety grounds and it has a better oven but she prefers the look of the TecTower and wants the storeage.
    We will probably keep the van a few years (said that about this van it's 2 years old) we could be in our seventies before we change again, oh boy that is frightening.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. bigtree

bigtree Funster

I personally prefer a full cooker,hence why I bought a Frankia which is one of the few German manufacturers to fit one.Really not keen on the tectower because of the height of it,not that I'am short just see it as a health hazard and the associated hinge problems.The electric ring isn't great but if on hook up it saves gas,like toasting and the oven is ok.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Mousy

Mousy Funster Life Member

I wouldn't worry then, you'll be on soft foods surrounded by grab rails with no ideal what the ovens for.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Hils and Glenns

Hils and Glenns Funster

We have the tec tower and I don't use the oven because it's too high and I would hate to have to clean it. But I love the fridge freezer. We manage very well with a halogen oven and a Remoska both easy to clean. I would love it if it was possible to replace the tec tower oven with a microwave.

• Like Like x 2
  8. bellabee

bellabee Funster

I'd go for the tec tower. It looks better, and I prefer the extra storage space.
    We have no oven in our Hymer. We had the tec tower in our Burstner, and I don't miss the oven, at all.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Really!;);)

• Funny Funny x 5
  10. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Not an option for use rarely use EHU.

11. Granjan

Granjan Funster

Tech tower in our Burstner, I wouldn't want to loose the storage either. Mostly just the two of us, we just warm things up in the oven, part baked bread, pizza, lasagne all pretty clean, non splashing stuff, agree grill is pants. On sites we cook mostly with an electrical gadget of one type or another or gas cobb outside. Would you use the oven often enough to warrant the loss of storage?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Fletton

Fletton Funster

VERY HAPPY with the TEC tower in my Knaus.... Used it last night to tray bake chicken thighs with chorizo, peppers, onions, carrots, tats n' garlic.... Erbs n' olive oil..

I purchased a small fold-up plastic step-up stool to stand on ... (Also used for cleaning the large front screen) used when cooking "wet" tray stuff like that in the oven.... ( btw I'm 5'7'' )

Cooked baked tats the night before ... And got crispy skins :)

Last week it was a beef casserole - cooked in half DS with an oven-proof lid from another pan I have.

I have also cooked such things as fancy stuffed and tied pork loin (prepared in Moho) too...

I will try yorkie puds at some point - it may struggle - or I may be surprised !!... TBA.

I think it's a case of making allowances ... I.e it's not as efficient as a household domestic oven/grill.... But will function adequately ... If allowances are made to let it get to temp... Then resist opening every 5 mins...

Like I said in a post some time ago.... You wouldn't want to cook a Christmas dinner for 14 with it... But in a "camping situation" it is perfectly do-able to cook decent food for - in my case four (me and my three hungry lads when they come away with me)

Also used the grill for stuff like toast/cheese on toast with results as good as home grill....

ps. I full time and cook often... And would describe myself - as do all I have cooked for over the years - as very competent in the kitchen - thanks to my mother... And years of practice.. :)

John T

• Like Like x 2
  13. Spidey

Spidey Funster

We have the tec tower in our hymer and happy with it. We are never planning on full roast dinners. Just wanted something to heat quiche, puzza etc. Love the drawers and wouldn't want to lose for the oven. I am talk enough but some cupboards are really high so have a folding step.

14. The Dude

The Dude Funster

We have a tec tower in our Pilote and I hate it! It is just soooooo slow to cook anything and the grill bit is worse than useless. I've just bought a double skillet and am hoping this will allow me to rely less on the tt oven. Our previous 2 vans had a proper oven and our next one definitely will.

• Like Like x 1
  15. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

We've never experienced the use of a Tec Tower, but have viewed many when looking at other MHs. Rita doesn't like the the idea of an oven that high up, and from a safety point of view, neither do I. :(
    Most owners of the Tec Tower system we've spoken to, aren't very keen on them either.

Our setup (much older admittedly) is the Smev oven with grill (useless) and rotisserie, under a 3 x burner hob, which Rita loves and uses on a regular basis.
    If we had to forego an oven in favour of storage, the Double Skillet would suffice for what we do, and the single flat induction hob (easily stored) when on EHU, which is very rarely.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

• Like Like x 2
  16. Robin McHood

Robin McHood Funster

Interesting posts, thanks. I've been looking for a replacement for our SMEV grill/oven combo which are both pants. Is there any which actually work well?

17. grumfy

grumfy Funster

I do not know if it is possible to replace the oven with a microwave but it is certainly possible to specify the tec tower with a microwave instead of an oven. So long as there is nothing in the way having it all lowered to a more reasonable height is also possible. I know because it was done for us - well done Southdowns!

• Like Like x 1
  18. StitchesnFluff

StitchesnFluff Funster

Hi Lenny
    Had tec tower now have oven on 598. Melanie too short for the first and also short for cupboard above f/freezer! we have used oven and grill on this van but only a couple of times a week whilst away for 3 weeks and haven't used electric hob ring only the gas, as like you, never on hook up.

• Like Like x 1
  19. BobtheBass

BobtheBass Funster

We had a microwave combination oven fitted underneath the fridge in our Carthago by Elite. We lost one big drawer and Sue sits on the floor to use it but it's safe!

• Like Like x 1
  20. milliethehymer

milliethehymer Funster

We have the Thetford oven fitted in ours. Yes, you do lose some storage but we do use our oven quite a lot. The oven works very well, and I agree with your comments on the grill (although we only ever use this for toast, but it makes a great plate warmer).

Personally I would not go for a etc tower simply on safety grounds. There is no way I'd want to be taking out a food from an oven at the heights involved (whether it is a micro or conventional oven). I can't comment on how efficient it is, never had one.

• Like Like x 1