Open or closed? (1 Viewer)

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Curtains and blinds. I've had mixed advice over the years, previously caravanning, from various people. Should the curtains be closed when you are storing the MH? It says not to close the blinds as they might lose their memory. I must have been closed a lot as I am definitely losing mine.:Eeek::Smile:
Gordon

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Ours is in storage and over the last 5 years have always closed the blinds and they still work the same.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I understand another reason it is recommended to not close the blinds completely is that if they face strong sunshine then heat will build up between the blind and window causing long term damage to perspex windows.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
I leave the blinds open so, I believe, not to leave the blinds under tension for long periods, but I always close the curtains when the mh is not in use so the direct sunlight does not bleach the fabric of the soft furnishings.

Norman

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Long term storage...

Brown paper stuck on the windows with "Blue Tack"....

Upholstery will fade even with little or no sun..:thumb:

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Long term storage...

Brown paper stuck on the windows with "Blue Tack"....

Upholstery will fade even with little or no sun..:thumb:

With time and use yes, but a lot quicker with direct sunlight. My blue 1998 Ravenna still has unfaded upholstery

Norman

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
We always close the curtains and pull down the blind on the hab door, Euro type unit.

The spring tension in the blind can be damaged by being left closed for prolonged periods apparently but we prefer the closed route to protect the interior from fading.

Another argument is theft, ie closing curtains hides items from view therefore cutting down the chance of breakin, or closing curtains etc makes the thieving b****** think there is something worth having so you get broken into.....

Frankley, as said, we close up to protect the interior, though being Yank our windows are glass so the above comment re damage to Euro type 'plastic' windows is interesting as I'd never thought of that:thumb:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
With time and use yes, but a lot quicker with direct sunlight. My blue 1998 Ravenna still has unfaded upholstery

Norman

That`s cos it`s quality Material and a good dye... :thumb:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I have a security guard in the van... me... :ROFLMAO:

JJ :Cool:

When the Hymer is parked up, using the curtains, I can leave various parts of the van visible whilst others are closed off... so passers by can, for instance, see into the cab but not the living quarters or see into the dinette area but not the rear bedroom. Obviously I try not to leave anything of value visible and they never know if the "closed off" area has anyone in it or not.

I never keep my roller blinds under tension for any long period as I feel this weakens the clockwork type springs that make them work...

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I leave the blinds open so, I believe, not to leave the blinds under tension for long periods, but I always close the curtains when the mh is not in use so the direct sunlight does not bleach the fabric of the soft furnishings.

Norman

Hi the above is the recommended advise given by the clubs etc, but I always close the blinds and stick the internal screens on :thumb:I never fitted curtains because to me they were unnecessary and another thing to wash ::bigsmile: but if I had curtains then I would close them and leave the blinds and nets open.It is not hard to re- tension the blinds anyway :thumb:
terry

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
my views ...

Same as Si.. saves bleaching the fabric on the settee and seats (we also put a cover over them as well) but also theft issue.. stops people looking in.

RV's have glass windows so we do not get the issues or the plastic ones.

Bob

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back