LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
They'll just have to go out and get some new "Experts" who say that NO is "not as bad as first thought";)

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
They'll just have to go out and get some new "Experts" who say that NO is "not as bad as first thought";)

It's a big article in the paper...evidence seems to stack up. we have been fed BS. all these failing are Euro 6 when most campers still 5 or less

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
The problem I have is that I believe very little that the press churn out for our consumption. They spend time trawling for articles/pseudoscience and complete rubbish and then re-present the facts to try and make a sensational story. It doesn't surprise me at all if they've managed to find that all these cars don't meet the standards, my concern is that any data is only as good as the scientist collecting and then presenting it.

The reason so many people are driving diesels is due to the government heavily promoting them based on the "science" of the time. Now we have a new set of science. Which we are supposed to believe?

I also believe that one fact sitting in the background is that for every barrel of crude oil there is a certain percentage of petrol and a certain percentage of diesel. I've said this before on here but I am pretty sure that the oil company lobby factions are pretty influential in getting the taxation set at a level that means the petrol and diesel are used in the same ratio to which they are produced. If we all suddenly switched to petrol cars what is going to happen to the diesel, and how much quicker will we use up our oil reserves?

I would love to see some sensible legislation that aids the air conditions in our cities. Current legislation I would say is a shambles. One of our clients drives around in a massive four-wheel-drive hybrid Lexus because the tax incentives made it a no-brainer for him. He reckons it guzzles diesel and of course he can take it into the low emission zone and avoid the congestion charge!

Little has been done to encourage public transport et cetera et cetera.

I could go on and on. Maybe I should go into politics:pinocchio:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Unfortunately with Motorhomes there is no choice, it's diesel or diesel , unless you have an RV.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
veg oil .
or mix petrol in with your diesel .
all go back to petrol .
enough petrol engines in scrap yards .
or convert to lpg / or compressed natural gas .
shame the west isnt as far forward as the far east. cng as been well used over there for years . much more than here.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
We have a Motability car. We wanted petrol because we don't do that many miles and therefore petrol is more comical for us. Motability don't do the petrol version of the car that fits our purse and needs....so we have diesel. When we swap it in 2016 I hope we can get petrol!

Jun 22, 2011
Onchan, Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
I am fairly confident that the science in the Sunday Times is right (probably exaggerated though). I don't see how anything practical can be done by the Government though in any short term (say 5-10 year) timescale. All black cabs, lorries, busses etc are on diesel. Have been forever. A diesel engine is good for 250K miles and so if some legislation were introduced in the next year the existing pool of diesel engines will have many years to run.

When unleaded petrol was introduced, I would say from memory that it took at least 5 years before the leaded pumps disappeared.

What really gets me is that we were all encouraged by Government to be green and use diesel which was better for the environment. Now is seems we are killing people because of it. The manufacturers have spent hundreds of millions developing the technology which has come on leaps and bounds. I imagine BWW, Mercedes, PSA will be really pissed off it they are banned.

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
The full article has examples of cars that totally comply even in the tests..so it is possible! merc 220 was within limits and VW Golf 2 lite 30% under. but most were 8-10 times over what they claimed:coffee:

to put it mildly we have been fed a load of BS...nothing new there!:cautious:

we must be one of the only country with major citys that don't have trams! even poorest east European ones made the investment....Just go up to London and see lines of buses belching out crap...

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
To my mind the tests for emissions are flawed in that they are run with the vehicle static...

Engines will be more efficient when the vehicle is actually moving...

My solution is get rid of traffic lights and keep vehicles moving...

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
diesels put out more crap when they are moving . petrol gets cleaner when moving .

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
I have a 2.5td mk1 disco that uses diesel plus upto 10% lpg burns very clean loads of power and is 25 years old so with modern tec. i am sure they can come up with something.
Steve

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
From reading that article my conclusion would be get rid of speed humps in residential areas, we moved when they put them in our estate.

Martin

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
The full article has examples of cars that totally comply even in the tests..so it is possible! merc 220 was within limits and VW Golf 2 lite 30% under. but most were 8-10 times over what they claimed:coffee:

to put it mildly we have been fed a load of BS...nothing new there!:cautious:

we must be one of the only country with major citys that don't have trams! even poorest east European ones made the investment....Just go up to London and see lines of buses belching out crap...
in fairness most of the busses in London aren't belching out crap anymore lots of the ones in the counties are though.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
My understanding is that there is a shortage of diesel refining capacity in this country which is why the price is higher. Perhaps they don't want to build another diesel refinery if its long term future is doubtful? You think about it diesel car usage has ballooned in the last 25 years.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
dont worry its a bit like the bread situation .........if we cant get bread for sandwiches in the morning we shall have toast instead.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

We used to have trams. We took all the tracks out !:(

My understanding is that there is a shortage of diesel refining capacity in this country which is why the price is higher. Perhaps they don't want to build another diesel refinery if its long term future is doubtful? You think about it diesel car usage has ballooned in the last 25 years.
The greater % of UK diesel comes from Russia at present.:(

TheDeckKing

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Hyde, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Voyager 2 coachbui
Exp
Unfortunately with Motorhomes there is no choice, it's diesel or diesel , unless you have an RV.
I've got a 23 year old talbot express with a petrol engine and it's great been great (especially in February when we did a week on Abbey Wood CC site in London)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
an interesting book for some could be
twilight in the desert
by mathew r simmons
isbn 0-471-73876-x
i found it very interesting and it does appear to be coming true .
its about the oil industry not fiction . more facts .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back