Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I feel sorry for the driver, but, these things happen!, I know they shouldn't, but they do.

He might have just not thought about the height, even though the sign is visable.

How many times have we seen pictures of double decker buses hitting a low bridge. The drivers don't do it on purpose..

We have a road bridge 4 miles from us with a well signposted height restriction of 4m but lorries still manage to get jammed under it.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I take it you have a satellite? you have a map? and a pair of eyes? .. I rest my case my honourable friend:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bob

Well my Learned Friend, maps and satellites dont assist with road closures:Doh:

Pair of eyes I can't argue with::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
No doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but was there a warning sign a while before this low bridge? Maybe a couple of hundred yards before the bridge? If the only warning was just as the driver reached the low bridge and the sign came into view, then surely he can be excused for his mistake? It's too late by the time you realise you're heading for the "low bridge" and there's traffic thundering up behind you and either side of you.........just a thought:RollEyes:

An "oh $hit" moment springs to mind:Doh:

Not everyone has a sat nav either and we can all make mistakes.

If we are missing something, then ok, but just wondered for our own information. Also, as someone else has said before, bus drivers have also been known to get caught out and they are supposed to be "professional" drivers. There's a low bridge on the way to the ferry terminal on the A75, but lorries get stuck under it on a regular basis:Smile:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I feel sorry for the driver, but, these things happen!, I know they shouldn't, but they do.

He might have just not thought about the height, even though the sign is visable.

How many times have we seen pictures of double decker buses hitting a low bridge. The drivers don't do it on purpose..

We have a road bridge 4 miles from us with a well signposted height restriction of 4m but lorries still manage to get jammed under it.

Everybody's got one. Down the road from us is a railway bridge over the road. The railway is disused and they call the bridge "The Commodore Bridge". Its called the Commodore Bridge because when the band the Commodores were on the go some bright spark managed to get up to the Bridge and spray paint The Commodores on it.

So, you can see that this is a well known Bridge locally. Jammed HGV's and buses are a common site stuck under the bridge. You would think people would learn. What I cant understand is most buses get under but some don't.
Jim
:Smile:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
If you are over 3.5 tons it is a legal requirement to have a sign in such a position that the driver can see it.

I didn't know that. You learn something new every day. Now if I had been on RVOC I would have known that woudnt I.
Jim
:roflmto:

I didn't know that either. I don't find mine hard to remember (it is exactly 3m) but I will make a sign:thanks2:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Bit daft to get stuck, I know they're not well signposted in advance but to keep going when its so obvious that you won't get under is plain daft.
I have gone as far as going down the slope and had to back up, but only once. In a large vehicle you must know the measurements of your vehicle, perhaps he thought he was less than[HI] 2.8m[/HI].

Well you'd be up the creek without a paddle, the sign says 2.7 metres

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
If you are over 3.5 tons it is a legal requirement to have a sign in such a position that the driver can see it.

I didn't know that. You learn something new every day. Now if I had been on RVOC I would have known that woudnt I.
Jim
:roflmto:

As I understand, it is height, not weight that kicks in the regulation requiring a height sign ...

The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) (Amendment) Regulations 1997

THE SCHEDULE

REGULATIONS SUBSTITUTED FOR REGULATION 10 OF THE ROAD VEHICLES (CONSTRUCTION AND USE) REGULATIONS 198610.—(1) Subject to the provisions of this regulation, no person shall drive or cause or permit to be driven on a road a [HI]motor vehicle with an overall travelling height exceeding 3m unless a notice is displayed in the cab,[/HI] in such a manner that it can easily be read by the driver, and the notice meets the requirements of paragraph (3).

full regulation here, http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1997/530/schedule/made

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
In as much as I can understand that enormous piece of gobbledegook (the legislation) I don't think I need the notice.:shout:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
... I don't think I need the notice.:shout:

Well, I think whether you legally require it or not it is prudent to have.. even in a 4x4 car you can be caught out by height barriers and low ceiling multi story car parks..

I saw a guy rip the roof rack, with two bikes, clean off his car on a height barrier.. made a right mess of the car roof .. not to mention the damaged bikes. :Eeek:

Last edited:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
I have to say i am curious as to what route you guys are taking from Rouen that takes you down the main street along side the underpass road.
We come off the N28 into Rouen and at the lights where you turn right to go through the town we go straight across and turn to the left but heading for the righthand lane which picks up the D6015 road that puts us on the A13 then the A154 towards Evereux

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Agree that Rouen is a dreadful place to drive round. Would have avoided it had it not been our destination. Parked on the road on the other side of the river from, and more or less opposite, the cathedral. I think that was one of the several times we got drenched on that tour.:Sad: Quite an interesting city though.

John

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Your all blaming the driver and or Sat Navs
How do you know he wern't delivering it for someone:Doh:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
100% right route

I have to say i am curious as to what route you guys are taking from Rouen that takes you down the main street along side the underpass road.
We come off the N28 into Rouen and at the lights where you turn right to go through the town we go straight across and turn to the left but heading for the righthand lane which picks up the D6015 road that puts us on the A13 then the A154 towards Evereux

That is the route we take, clears Rouen if you are heading South.. at a last resort if you miss the 3rd turn off after you come out of the long tunnel on the N28 then you must take the next right as you cross the river that takes you down between the river (now on your left) and the railway tracks on the right.. but is better to pick up the D6015 it is signed to Evereux ... simples as they say:RollEyes::RollEyes:

Bob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I noticed from Carols post they went via Paris

I only go via Rouen if heading towards Chartres and avoiding the Paris 'horifique'

I noticed from Carols post that they went via Paris .. much easier and cheaper to go via Rouen and head towards Clermont-Ferrand .. you can head all the way South by national routes or non payment motorways.. even duck under the bridge at Milieu .. OK a few hills and twists but it is still free.. when you are an RV hauling a trailer with a car it is a lot cheaper.

I hate paying tolls.

Bob

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980

Thats the route we take. I always go wrong at the lights and end up doing a lap of honour.
Jim

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
at the lights opposite is the Shell petrol station

Thats the route we take. I always go wrong at the lights and end up doing a lap of honour.
Jim

At the lights as you come off and down from the A28 you get to a set of lights that allows you to turn right or left.. in front of you is a Shell Petrol station head as if you are going into it and then take up the left lane to turn left.. at the next lights (immediate) keep to the middle and head straight on.. bear right and get in to the near side lane.. road is 3 lanes wide.. stay in right hand one as the other two peel off to the left.. you are now still going down hill with the river on your right hand side.. that way you miss Rouen.

Bob p.s if you have google earth you can zoom in to this junction and follow it along the side of the river.

Last edited:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
I have to say that this is hard to understand for those of us who are perfect and have never missed a sign or got a panicky in a strange town in a strange country in traffic. :Blush:

We are heading North from Parc Verger tomorrow and will give Rouen a miss. :thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I am PERFECT

I have to say that this is hard to understand for those of us who are perfect and have never missed a sign or got a panicky in a strange town in a strange country in traffic. :Blush:

We are heading North from Parc Verger tomorrow and will give Rouen a miss. :thumb:

I consider myself perfect:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Sue does not.. as well as a few others on the MHF will agree... I sing with a great voice, but Jim would not agree... I am better and better every day in every way.......

I did get stuck in a road that got very narrow two years back (no signs as it was a small road in a town).. I had to back all the way to the main road and out in to it with a short trailer.. very hard... with the help of a Frenchman that could not speak English... did a great job.. even held up the traffic while I got across the main road to head off in a different route to get round the narrow road.

Bob...
Bob

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back