Oops, Hymer Mercedes armrest, this looks serious @Terry??? (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
@Terry is this as bad as it looks

Often thought the arms seemed to flex quite a bit under strain :wasntme::wasntme:

IMG_1769.JPG
IMG_1768.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1770.JPG
    IMG_1770.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 39
OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Actually your name doesn't have to be Terry to reply, anybody else broken the arm off their drivers seat??

or is it just me again o_O

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The same thing (bolt shearing) happened to me a few weeks ago David. Not serious but a bit fiddly to put right.

The head of the bolt was easy enough to remove with an Allen Key but to remove the part still in the arm I had to clamp the arm in my Workmate, drill a pilot hole and then use a screw remover to take it out (I must have had the drill going the wrong way because I actually screwed it through but never mind it worked :)).

Next problem was finding a replacement bolt to fit. I had some mate coach bolts in my toolbox but they didn't want to screw into the arm and I decided that maybe they were the wrong thread pitch (coarse rather than fine). However, I did find a bolt I had taken off something which was the correct thread. It was some sort of adjuster screw with a plastic head fitted for hand turning so I had to remove that and then cut a slot in the bot head to use a screwdriver on it. Having done that, though, it was a fairly straightforward job of refitting (with Jill's help because it's a four handed job).

I subsequently bought some fine pitch mate bolts but I think they are still the wrong thread as the pitch looks smaller than the original bolt. However, as the arm is fixed I'm not taking it off to try :)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
and thanks Graham @GJH your input at Misterton with @Terry 's tools we should fix it (y):), presumes you are going of course

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Looks like it will slip back in and a grub screw needs fitting......doesn't look like a sheared bolt though.

Probably need to undo upholstery at side/back of seat to investigate.

I'm sure it all means nothing to you @DavidG58 and best put it aside until you do see @Terry

No relaxing driving in Scotland.

Good luck with it ..........but i'm sure its an easy fix.

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi David we probably need to strip seat back off to get to fixing bolt-will go over to Julie's and ask Billy back in a few mins

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
looks like theres someting in the hole at rightangles to the pin either a sheared bolt or has a grubscrew pulled through?

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Oops what have you done? Hope it gets sorted...... Quickly.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
OK all Billy has just been over to look at pics and I have spoken to David on phone -upshot is the retaining stud has snapped off and while we are at Missterton we are boobing home for Bill to remove other armrest so we can see exact size stud needed and if we have not got anything it is a case of going to Collins for him to drill and fix a stud in place then back to mine for coffee:Dwhile Billy puts armrests back in =couple of mins to get one out and a min to put back in -Harder to get out than in, plus once he figures how to remove he knows how to fit back in -Thinks on pics it goes into a slot then turn half turn and presses through another slot then turns into place -simple (y):LOL:
terry

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
is this unique to Hymer's David? or do Motorhomes suffer this too ;)

hope it gets fitted soon.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Forgot to say Billy takes all the front seats to bits for Julie to recover and put them all back together so he knows what he is doing ;)
ALL SEATS CAN SUFFER THIS IF YOU USE ARM REST TO PUSH YOURSELF UP OUT OF SEAT-ESPECIALLY IF YOUR AS BIG AS ME AND @DavidG58 :D:D:D:D

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Seen you legless David, now I know you are h 'armless too;)

Let's hope nothing else gets broken on this trip:whistle:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
and thanks Graham @GJH your input at Misterton with @Terry 's tools we should fix it (y):), presumes you are going of course
We're not going to Misterton David but I'm sure @Terry will be able to fix it for you.
There is no need to remove the seat fabric, just the armrest cover so it doesn't get damaged when removing the sheared part of the old cap bolt.
we are boobing home for Bill to remove other armrest so we can see exact size stud needed
There should be no need to remove the other armrest Terry. If it's like our Burstner it will be a 20mm bolt. It appears to be mate but (as mentioned in my earlier post) the thread appears not to be either the coarse or fine standard pitch.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Oh dear, not a great week for the Hymerites.. :(

damp, rust, broken seats.. :cry:

I'm off to buy a Swift .. :cool:

oops..just woke up.. had a bad dream.. :D

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Morning Graham @GJH Billy says it's not a bolt just a pin and it shoves in,armrest turns and in again,turns that holds it in position --He has done many before -removal/refit that is not putting in new pins :)-The seat-back on some seats needs to be peeled up a little to get to securing bits but on 95% the armrests are fitted after the seat-back
terry

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Morning Graham @GJH Billy says it's not a bolt just a pin and it shoves in,armrest turns and in again,turns that holds it in position --He has done many before -removal/refit that is not putting in new pins :)-The seat-back on some seats needs to be peeled up a little to get to securing bits but on 95% the armrests are fitted after the seat-back
terry
Morning Terry. There must be two different types of fitting because on our Burstner it is definitely a bolt which sheared :)
Luckily I kept it so have been able to photograph it with the same sort of bolt I used in its place. The head was still captured by the female part in the seat body and the rest was still in the male part attached to the arm as in David's photo.
bolts.jpg

It looks like an M 8 bolt (and was made by Imavi so I guess should be a metric thread) but the coach bolts I had in my "don't chuck it out it'll be useful one day" box would only screw into the male part so far, leading me to think it was the wrong thread pitch. Luckily I had some bolts (centre of photo) I had kept in the past (can't remember what they came off). Removing the plastic left a flat head (right of photo) but I cut a slot with a hacksaw to allow use of a flat blade screwdriver to screw it in.

Thinking maybe I needed fine pitch bolts I bought some but the pitch actually looks too small so I'm guessing that the thread of the coach bolt I tried is wrong (maybe one I picked up cheap somewhere in the past).

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Graham I cannot say I have seen that one but will show pics to Billy -he has not got stuck on any yet ;)He does sometimes ask me to call over and give him a hand stripping and putting seats back together and it amazes me just how many different types/ways they come apart -More for a lift with what are sometimes heavy seats-cheers
terry

Reactions: GJH

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hi Graham I cannot say I have seen that one but will show pics to Billy -he has not got stuck on any yet ;)He does sometimes ask me to call over and give him a hand stripping and putting seats back together and it amazes me just how many different types/ways they come apart -More for a lift with what are sometimes heavy seats-cheers
terry
Hi Terry.
I was just wondering if you managed to fix the armrest and, if it was a bolt, for future reference what sort of thread was it please.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hi Terry.
I was just wondering if you managed to fix the armrest and, if it was a bolt, for future reference what sort of thread was it please.

Sorted Graham, it was a bolt, or what I call a bolt at least, alan key head, mate (bloody Jim and his corrections M 8 thread) thread we think, but it was a bugger to get back in, no cover needed to be removed though, but tough job holding arm in place and trying to get new bolt in right place

@Terry did the business though, we think we may either have a wrong thread or slight cross thread. but it is on for now at least (y)

But very different to your fitting

Steveboy

Free Member
Oct 13, 2011
Wherever my wheels stop.
Funster No
MH
Rapido 972M
Exp
Fulltime since 2011
Regular occurance with these seats as fitted to my Rapido. Bolt is an m 8 with an allen key head.
Two straps tightened around the seat to pull in the upholstery just above & below the armrest pivot help in the re-fitting & recommended regular tightening of these bolts.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Forgot to say Billy takes all the front seats to bits for Julie to recover and put them all back together so he knows what he is doing ;)
ALL SEATS CAN SUFFER THIS IF YOU USE ARM REST TO PUSH YOURSELF UP OUT OF SEAT-ESPECIALLY IF YOUR AS BIG AS ME AND @DavidG58 :D:D:D:D

Well little ole me is safe then!:LOL:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Sorted Graham, it was a bolt, or what I call a bolt at least, alan key head, mate (bloody Jim and his corrections M 8 thread) thread we think, but it was a bugger to get back in, no cover needed to be removed though, but tough job holding arm in place and trying to get new bolt in right place

@Terry did the business though, we think we may either have a wrong thread or slight cross thread. but it is on for now at least (y)

But very different to your fitting
Thanks David. That seems very much like the experience I had. An M 8 coach bolt started to screw in OK but then got stuck. I haven't a clue what the thread of the bolt that did fit is because it was a used on off something else.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Graham sorry to be so long out of touch but David has got it spot on -I found correct size bolt in a bucket of spares and once it started to go in (think cross threaded) the Allen key rounded so it's stuck there unless it works its way out :LOL: then I will get another bolt and try again -at least David is aware of the situation - The snapped off bolt simply screwed itself out when I began to drill a pilot hole to enable it to be removed (more luck than anything):D
terry

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The snapped off bolt simply screwed itself out when I began to drill a pilot hole to enable it to be removed (more luck than anything):D
Same happened to me Terry. I'm pleased I've reached your skill level in one respect :LOL:

The thread thing was strange. I ended up with a slot headed bolt (cut the slot in the plain head as shown in my photo earlier myself). It looks no different to a M 8 thread but went straight in when a coach bolt didn't. Strange :D

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
It screwed straight in when it was not in position :Dhonest :)
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back