Ooh it makes me mad - DEFRA and the EU (1 Viewer)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
When you say the MIL gets "stuffed in the loo" do you mean in the toilet compartment or have you especially adapted your toilet cassette for people smuggling?
You haven't?? :Eeek: Amazed! You should, it's tax free! And you can ask the guy doing the conversion for a cash receipt! :sneaky: Just look at the facts. The last dog to be found with rabies in the UK was back in 1970. Since the 'pet passport', snuggling of puppies into the UK from Le Continent has increased by 400%. How many ships dock in the UK each year, most with a ships cat on board....or off board when the ship is tied up. There is no requirement for such cats (and dogs), to have a passport. Just a money making scam, with plenty of (excuse the pun) fat cat vets coining it in. (y)

MJG1959

Free Member
Feb 14, 2015
Cleveland UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Even that's high. Our vet charged £45 for the rabies jab and the passport for each of ours.

Does your cost include a microchip as well?

That's a very good price. Ours charges around £90 just for the passport itself and the rabies vac. and that was for dogs that were already 'chipped'.

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
I have no comment to make about people who bring tortoises back from Greece. I know somebody, not me of course, who smuggled one through customs.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
I don't know about you but I know when and if my dog has taken a tablet and I hate paying 120 Euros for someone to stamp a piece of paper!!!

If you can legislate to make it compulsory for a vet to administer a drug surely you can also fix the price of that ?
Couldn't agree more. We have been charged as little 10 euros in Belgium, and last week was charged 50 euros in Switzerland - this is for tapeworm treatment for one dog!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
What's a pet passport cost in UK these days ?

Just had a quote from our vet , if yours are not chipped, add that cost to the total .. £35 aprox. ( it varies between vets)

Our two are already chipped.. that will be checked to ensure it is still working when they get their passports. If not they will need re chipped.

Rabies jab. £46.36
Passport £55.45

Total £101.81 each

A rabies booster is required after 1 year, then every 3 years .

You have to wait 21 days before traveling.. and 28 days before returning..

You MUST get the booster shots within the time frame, .. even one day late, it goes back to the start..

SandT

Free Member
Oct 15, 2012
Malta
Funster No
MH
Safari Trek
Exp
No. According to my UK vet the tapeworm treatment before returning to the UK is an amendment DEFRA insisted on when the pet passport scheme was introduced. There's no similar requirement anywhere else in Europe and in his opinion no sensible reason for the UK to insist on it.

Our dogs have tapeworm treatments every three months anyway but even this doesn't make any difference.

Its certainly required if you bring your pet to Malta.

Terry

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Just had a quote from our vet , if yours are not chipped, add that cost to the total .. £35 aprox. ( it varies between vets)

Our two are already chipped.. that will be checked to ensure it is still working when they get their passports. If not they will need re chipped.

Rabies jab. £46.36
Passport £55.45

Total £101.81 each

You MUST get the booster shots within the time frame, .. even one day late, it goes back to the start..

Mine were chipped in the UK. vet here changed chip from UK system to Spanish system=10€
They also had rabies jabs before we came here @ £33 per dog & that was in 2001.:eek:
I currently pay 17€ for a rabies jab here & 18€ for the Dhppl (y)
Got a passport for 1 dog yesterday all filled in signed ,etc; 30€ (y)

Deleted User
One for Boston last summer cost £57 and really simple, the two older dogs were done on the old scheme a few years back and cost about £250 each and a real palaver, much easiest now.
Our rabies last two years, but you should be aware that should there be a local outbreak whilst overseas you would be subject to the rules of that country so we will get ours done in accordance with French rules as we always travel via the tunnel :)

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011

Have never heard or read about a rabies booster after one year, where did you get this information Jim?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Have never heard or read about a rabies booster after one year, where did you get this information Jim?

from the vet, the one I spoke with this week and got the prices ..

also on DEFRA site

Booster vaccinations
You must get regular booster vaccinations for your pet before they’re due. Check the ‘valid until’ date in the relevant section of the pet passport or third country official veterinary certificate to find out when the booster vaccination is due.

If you miss the booster
Your pet will need to be vaccinated again and 1 of the following will apply:

• if you’re travelling from the EU or a listed country you’ll have to wait 21 days before entering the UK (the day of vaccination counts as day 0 not day 1)
  • if you’re travelling from an unlisted country your pet will need to get a blood test and then wait 3 months before entering the UK

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

Rabies jab. £46.36
Passport £55.45

Total £101.81 each

That's expensive! As I said in a previous post ours were £45 ish each for the rabies jab and the passport.

Also never heard of the 1 year booster before. Ours certainly haven't had one and the vet has never suggested they should.

Is the 28 days before returning you quote from the date of the initial jab?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Another tip from my vet is that if your trip is less that 5 days there's nothing to stop you getting the tapeworm treatment done in the UK before you leave. It has to be 24-120 hours before re entering the UK, it doesn't matter where it is carried out.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
That's expensive! As I said in a previous post ours were £45 ish each for the rabies jab and the passport.

Also never heard of the 1 year booster before. Ours certainly haven't had one and the vet has never suggested they should.

Is the 28 days before returning you quote from the date of the initial jab?

I only know what the vet told me.. and from info on the DEFRA site .. seems to be some contradictory advice between sites.. so it may depend on what rabies vaccine is used.. ???
It should be marked in the passport when it needs a booster..

Prices no doubt vary between vets .. I may get a quote form another vet.

yes, 28 days from having the jab.

This data sheet says 'Booster vaccination every 3 years'
so I may question the vet as to why she said one year then three years

Broken Link Removed

MJG1959

Free Member
Feb 14, 2015
Cleveland UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
I only know what the vet told me.. and from info on the DEFRA site .. seems to be some contradictory advice between sites.. so it may depend on what rabies vaccine is used.. ???
It should be marked in the passport when it needs a booster..

If you read a couple of posts further up you will see this is exactly the case. The info. on the DEFRA site talks about differing vaccines having different expiry dates so to actually check the expiry date noted by the vet in the PP. Variously so far in the thread we seem to have anything between 1-3 years.

Both PP's we have had have been two years. In both cases the vaccine used has been Rabisin by Merial. Apparently this has now being confirmed as being valid for three years too, but this was after our dog was vaccinated last summer, so I guess this is why our PP was marked as expiry in the summer of 2016.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
We use vet in Calais, straight in door, no appointment, wait between booked appointments, seen within 5 minutes but maximum 1 hour, was approx 30 euros last year. Price changes with weight of dog. Staffy is not light!
I believe the mention of 28 days comes from re-worming. On another forum someone asked DEFRA about taking a dog on a short break. They were advised they can have the dog wormed etc in the UK but must return no sooner than 24 hours and no later than 5 days, so a day-trip is possible. They go on to say that the dog should be re-wormed within 28 days of returning to the UK.
My dog's rabies jab is valid for 3 years and no mention of, and never had booster, but does expire this July !!!
rabies.JPG

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I believe the mention of 28 days comes from re-worming.

The 28 days I refereed to is for the rabies vaccine .. 21 days before you can travel.. and 28 days before you can return.. from date of vaccination .

I will have a discussion with the my vet to clarify why she said one year , then every three years thereafter for rabies booster shots.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
The 28 days I refereed to is for the rabies vaccine .. 21 days before you can travel.. and 28 days before you can return.. from date of vaccination .

OOPS, I didn't read it properly. But I did think it was only 21 days not 28 ?? So many variations on prices and advice.
Had me concerned as I've never had a booster done and went to check.
Here's an offer from the vet at Mailleraye sur Seine, note the word FROM, was a Saturday afternoon so wasn't able to get a price for my dog.

VET.JPG

Last edited:

dickieo

Free Member
Oct 12, 2012
Cantoria . Spain .
Funster No
MH
Coach Built .
Exp
Two Years ...
Here in Spain dogs have to have a rabies booster jab every year , they now have to also have a coloured disc attached to their collar , each year the colour changes this is to show the police if you are stopped that the dog has had its rabies jabs and it is up to date , you are also supposed to carry the green card with you that gives the dogs name and who owns it .

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Maybe hasnt reached our shores for the same reason rabies hasnt.....vacination.
I think the reason rabies never made it here was 26 miles of water. When you look at all the hype there was about rabies it's surprising there are ant people left alive in europe it was all over hyped and a fine example of the little england mentality of the civil service.

Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996
One for Boston last summer cost £57 and really simple, the two older dogs were done on the old scheme a few years back and cost about £250 each and a real palaver, much easiest now.
Our rabies last two years, but you should be aware that should there be a local outbreak whilst overseas you would be subject to the rules of that country so we will get ours done in accordance with French rules as we always travel via the tunnel :)

You only need to comply with the rules of the country you are visiting if you are for eg: in France for 3 months or more. Otherwise the rules of your home country apply. For us in the UK the Rabies vaccination both of our dogs have had last for 3 years. The date in the passport regarding the Rabies Vaccination is what we go by. We always make sure we have it done before the expiry date.
Also worth mentioning, when making an appointment at the vets make sure they know you need a vet who can sign the pets passport re the vaccination. We had done this but arrived one year for the booster and found the vet on duty couldn't sign the PP!! We were not pleased to say the least.
Since we moved and were sitting in our new vets a lady came for her dogs booster and she had this problem. The vet on duty had not done the training for it! So although she could do the vaccination she couldn't sign the PP.

Last edited:

Deleted User
I don't want t risk it though, if there was a local outbreak, I don't fancy our chances, they will seize dogs and destroy them, I don't speak French or any other language well enough to argue our laws are different. Would probably never happened but not worth the risk to us :( We are away for long periods of time too, months sometimes.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Both of ours are three years
Could you post the vaccine used?

Our Vet used to use a 3 year vaccine but claims it was withdrawn for reason of side effects and is no longer available. This is clearly not true. We now have to have it redone every two years.

The vaccine our Vet uses is currently "Rabisin".

I would like to be able to challenge him next year.

MJG1959

Free Member
Feb 14, 2015
Cleveland UK
Funster No
MH
Exp

Our Vet used to use a 3 year vaccine but claims it was withdrawn for reason of side effects and is no longer available. This is clearly not true. We now have to have it redone every two years.

See my earlier post - my understanding is that Rabisin has now been extended to three years also, but it happened after our dog was vaccinated so his is only currently valid for two years.

I picked it up on here -

http://www.frenchentree.com/france-forum/topic/rabies-vaccine-update/

The data sheet here says 1,2 or 3 years depending on country.

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

One has Vanguard and one has Nobivac. Both signed and stamped in the passports as three years.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
The Nobivac has a 3 year life. Here;

Broken Link Removed

it is what our vet uses here except that Spanish law dictates that a booster is administered annually.
One thing though , we can't ever be " out-of-date" entering the UK.lol

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've been taking our dogs abroad since 2005 when it cost an arm and a leg to get their passports! Now our dogs have boosters every 2 years as that's the maximum vaccine our vet could get, however I'll have to check on the new Rabisin status if it has indeed been increased to 3 years for when our next little monster needs doing.

I simply cannot see the point in having it done every year when it is not a requirement here ... but that's up to others to decide if they want to spend money when they don't need to, and personally I don't like putting chemicals into my dogs more than I have to, so I'll leave it at 2 years, or 3 if my vet can get the vaccine.

I have NEVER come across the requirement to have the first booster done after 1 year though ... seems a bit 'iffy' to me that!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back