Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
First year under our belt!
Chickens are buggers for keeling over unexpectedly. In my experience it's usually to do with some egg production malfunction or other.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Might be an eggsample of Sudhen Death Syndrome methinks. You may never know eggsactly how she died but once you have cracked it, lay it out for us to eggsamine the evidence which hopefully will eggsplain the reason. If she was bunged up you are lucky she didn't eggsplode, no yolking, it can happen. A chicken eggspert pal told me so.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
BTW I have a duck called Stephanie. She is a good producer and has survived dog attacks, fox attacks and severe weather. Hardy wee thing. Couldn't resist the other post, shame about the chook really.

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Used to run a hen run many moons ago and regularly added crunched up baked egg shelves to their feed. this helped to ensure good strong shells on the newly laid. Brooding chickens were treated with emptied eggs filled with mustard paste which always worked;)
p.s. I do seem to remember that the same mustard paste eventually found its way to the refectory top table:):):):):)

Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
We had six before we down-sized. Really miss them and their lovely eggs. Best treat is a bucket of well rotted compost. They will scratch through it for insects in a frenzy - fun to watch.

Keith :cool:

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Used to run a hen run many moons ago and regularly added crunched up baked egg shelves to their feed. this helped to ensure good strong shells on the newly laid. Brooding chickens were treated with emptied eggs filled with mustard paste which always worked;)
p.s. I do seem to remember that the same mustard paste eventually found its way to the refectory top table:):):):):)

Please explain the broody chicken and mustard thing....how does it work. We have just had a broody chicken and nothing we did would make her stop. She wasn't nasty, just made funny little clunky sounds. We left her to it in the end. Took three weeks. She is laying again now though.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
When we kept chickens, back in the 50s we used to use solid china eggs for broody hens. Don't know where they came from though, been in the family for generations I expect.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Mystery deaths can be down to Red Mite - especially if other hens are a bit pale. check hut crevices for what looks like a red jelly-like mass. Horrible things & hard to get rid of.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Mystery deaths can be down to Red Mite - especially if other hens are a bit pale. check hut crevices for what looks like a red jelly-like mass. Horrible things & hard to get rid of.
I did here of a chap who bred giant pullets, and one morning, when approaching his hen house, heard a very loud knocking noise. Well, he opened the door, to find that one of his big hens had gone..............:)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Is it contagious and will Scotjimland need to protect the others? :(

Sorry about the hen ... I get too attached to all my pets. :(

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
now we are planning a lot more trips away it will be better if we didn't need a hen watcher.. so when they go.. they go.

We got some one who buy`s our egg`s.... going to take them off our hands.. (y)

Wont bother to get any more till we pack up M,homing.. :(

Same here, although our neighbours always offer to do the hens or we can board them out at our friend's farm along with her clucks. Their cockerel is terrified of ours and takes himself off to the turkey house for the duration. I don't know what the turkeys think of the interloper. We haven't bought new stock this year and didn't have hatchlings last year.

When we kept chickens, back in the 50s we used to use solid china eggs for broody hens. Don't know where they came from though, been in the family for generations I expect.

You can get the "pot eggs" from most agricultural merchants. When I was a little girl I remember being sent to help collect the eggs (my Grandparents had around 3,000 hens!) and coming back with the pot eggs as well as the real eggs. Then I was sent back to put the pot eggs back in the nest boxes :)

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Please explain the broody chicken and mustard thing....how does it work. We have just had a broody chicken and nothing we did would make her stop. She wasn't nasty, just made funny little clunky sounds. We left her to it in the end. Took three weeks. She is laying again now though.
Hi Cat, it was difficult to fill two halves of a shell then stick them together but really did work when the brooding chicken chomped on them:) the china eggs that reallyretired mentioned would be a lot easier(y)

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Do you think an ostrich egg would work! :roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
The china eggs were used to show the pullets where to lay. Hens like to do what the rest of the flock are doing and you will see them all queue for a single nest box even though the others are all empty. They see an egg in a nest and think "Oh, that's a good place to lay the egg" and that's what they do.... explains why all the eggs are in one place as a rule.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I thought that flew over everyones head John :LOL: unlike the deceased :(