One more sleep till France.....

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Allanm, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Allanm

Allanm Funster

So, we are off over to France on Saturday afternoon. We have booked a crossing for me and Mrs A, two dogs and the van for about 5pm which should give us plenty of time to find our first Aire somewhere near the Somme. Then we go across to the East and down towards The Jura region.
    We have changed our minds so many times about where we are going, one of the best reasons to have a motorhome!
    This will be our first time back with a MH since 1998 ( we had a short love/hate relationship with a couple of caravans between those times and a few tent holidays)
    But now we are back with a vengeance. Today is my last day at work, i took early retirement, so we have plenty of time to get out and about at last.
    Camera batteries charged up, van packed, passports and cash at the ready. France here we come......
    Allan

• Like Like x 11
  2. davidbaldam

davidbaldam Funster

Lucky you, wish it was me. I have to wait until November for my darling wife to retire, then it off for us too. :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dubiousp

Dubiousp Read Only Funster

Enjoy whish we were going

• Like Like x 1
  4. Archer

Archer Funster

Hope all goes well and that you have a nice time wish it was me.
    Gary.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Roryboys Dad

Roryboys Dad Read Only Funster

Have a great time.

Don't forget the bottle opener!

This Google map may help you find a Vet on the way back to the UK with your dogs - http://goo.gl/maps/dGJM

Let me know which Vet you do use, and updated information on prices, and I'll add the info to the map.

:france::france::france:

• Like Like x 1
  6. june123

june123 Read Only Funster

re one more sleep

Have a great time. Seem to remember the Cascades du Herisson (waterfalls) were worth seeing in the Jura.

• Like Like x 3
  7. knighthauler

knighthauler Read Only Funster

Hope you have a great time - take care and safe motorhoming!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Thanks all. We saw pics of the waterfalls, will try and visit them if we get there.
    Allan

9. alfandM

alfandM Funster

Have a great time and enjoy your travels,and most of all enjoy your retirement,,:thumb:

10. WillH

WillH Funster

You must hire a canoe, one of the best days we ever had in France was paddling down the river! Enjoy.

Bill

11. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Hmm, last time I was in a canoe was near Porthmadoc. I capsized and the canoe sank! Luckily I managed to get hold of the rope at the back and hung onto my mates canoe and he paddled us back to the beach
    It was fun up to that point though.
    Allan

12. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

Hi Nice aire at Arques just south of St Omer,

ARQUES

ADDRESS: MUNICIPAL CAMPING BEAUSEJOUR, RUE MICHELET
    TEL: 03 21 88 53 66 CAMPING FAX:
    EMAIL: mairie@ville-arques.fr
    TYPE OF AIRE: MUNICIPAL

FACILITIES: WATER /GREY DRAIN/BLACK DRAIN/ ELECTRIC

PRICES/ RATES: JETONS & FEES PAYABLE AT CAMPSITE RECEPTION
    PARKING: 2€/ NIGHT SERVICES: 2€ WATER OR ELECTRIC
    OPENING TIMES: 01/04 -- 30/10
    GPS COORDS: N50.74538 E02.30448
    DIRECTIONS: From CALAIS take N43 / N42 EAST to the roundabout EAST of ARQUES & take last exit onto D211 WEST. Turn RIGHT after 2km into RUE J.VERNE / F.MITTERAND (same road). Turn LEFT before Railway Bridge into RUE MICHELET & CAMPSITE
    SITE DESCRIPTION: This is a waterside location, next to the large Beausejour lake & close to the 3* Municipal Campsite in a large tarmac parking area. Security is good, the car park being locked at night 2100-0700, and there is shade from trees. The Euro-Relais borne with a small raised drainage grid (hosepipe required) is next to the campsite.
    REVIEW
    2006 A good secure Aire behind the Mun. Campsite & next to a nice lake. The parking is level & quiet, with nice walks around the lakes & lots of birds + wildlife to see. We noticed a slight noise at night from a distant factory.
    [​IMG]
    Not sure price is still the same
    Terry:sin::sin:

• Like Like x 3
  13. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Thanks Terry. That looks well worth a visit.
    Allan

14. spitfire

spitfire Funster

Now no more sleeps ! Is today :BigGrin:

Have a great time but if course you will :Rofl1:

15. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Yay! Van fully packed. Crossing is at 1730. Takes us 40 minutes to get there. I might wash the van.........

Allan

16. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

Hi Allanm,
    Just behind the aire at Arques is a nice water garden with fountains etc . also the large ish lake actually looks more like a resevoir nice walk around , quite a lot of birds etc. Hope you have a good & safe trip down to the jura region ENJOY!
    Terry:sin::sin:

17. B-well

B-well Funster

Allanm I believe at Arques there is a lift on the river some 40 m drop worth viewing the boating around the area. Have happy days safe return whenever.:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  18. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

Just returned back yesterday from 14 days there:thumb:

Usually no more than 3 days on one site as I have itchy feet.

There seems to be Brit campers galore over there this year , maybe with all the trouble in Middle eastern and far off locations many opt to camp in France.

Seems expensive over there compared with here,sites and supermarkets :Eeek:

The roads are still the best --even with the tolls to pay :thumb:-- then to return to the U/K ,M25 then the A303:Eeek:.

Drive for weeks in France no problems, then to drive from Le shuttle to Somerset took 7 hours ,mostly in 2nd gear:Eeek:

I never drive in the south east of U/K much and I`m glad I don`t need too, some poor people have to commute every day in that nightmare.

How can we be treated with 100`s of miles of main roads jammed solid with all the road tax we pay:Angry:

Have fun on your trip and enjoy the relaxed feel in France :thumb: I can`t wait until next year :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Well, we were due to come back today but Mrs A got the times mixed up, she thought it was 2350 instead of 1050! Still we get a couple extra days, booked onto the 0836 Monday.
    Burgundy and Champagne were superb. Cost us 3 Euros for the first week in aires. Bit dearer the second week because we came back up towards Calais to pick my Daughter up on Wed. Spent a couple of days in Fort Mahon ( hot) and yesterday in Dunkerk, wet and horrible today do back down towards Normandy till Monday.
    Very few UK vans where we stayed.
    Looks like its clearing up! Back on the road
    Allan

20. Allanm

Allanm Funster

We made it back this morning, after finding 3 superb aires near to Wissant, 10 miles or so down from Calais. The one we stayed on last night was grassy, almost empty and had a superb view of the channel and the cliffs at Dover while almost everybody else was crammed in at the Wissant aire.
    We did see another Funster parked up at the side of the road down to the beach at Escalles, in a cream coloured twin axle MH. We were the ones doing a 3! Point turn behind you, in an Autosleeper ......
    Anyway, we had a great time, covered over 1500 miles and can't wait to go back in September
    ........aren't houses big!

Allan
    PS, If anyone wants details of the 3 aires near Wissant, I can post their co ordinates for you, there are loads of spaces and €5 a night.