One Hob on the gas cooker wont stay alight (1 Viewer)

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
Hi

We have a 3 ring gas hob in our motorhome. 2 of them work fine, the 3rd lights ok, but after releasing the knob it goes out. Even if you hold the knob in for a minute or so it goes out. Eventually it will stay alight after many minutes of holding the hob knob. If there something to check / change to fix this?

Thanks

N&K

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Hi

We have a 3 ring gas hob in our motorhome. 2 of them work fine, the 3rd lights ok, but after releasing the knob it goes out. Even if you hold the knob in for a minute or so it goes out. Eventually it will stay alight after many minutes of holding the hob knob. If there something to check / change to fix this?

Thanks

N&K

Sound like you need a new thermo coupler:thumb:

OP
OP
N

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
Hi Diabalo

Is that the little thing that sticks up next to the flame? Where do I buy a thermo coupler?

Something like this:
Link Removed

ta.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

If you can get it to stay on after holding the knob for an extended period, its very likely that the flame is not playing on the thermocouple tip correctly, Its worth looking to see if the tip is positioned exactly the same on the other burners and that the flame is playing on the tip in exactly the same manner, as you may be able to move it slightly or clean it and the burner cap as it could just be that the flame that should be directed towards the thermocouple tip is slightly blocked or to long/short remember the centre of the flame is cold albeit everything that surrounds it is very hot and the thermocouple needs the heat of the flame to work,

Not withstanding all the above you could try a new thermocouple and if that fails then its the Flame Failure Device that is probably faulty but unless you are confident in working with gas be careful as the reason for the thermocouple etc is for your safety and you really don't want to compromise that,

I would therefore suggest that you get your local CORGI engineer to look at it for you.

Hope that helps,

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
Thanks Braunston, I'll give it a close inspection and try your suggestions, thanks :thumb:

Beachbum

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Hamburg / Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
40 Years
Light the burner, hold it in for a few seconds then release and push in real fast a couple of times then slowly release. Follow this procedure whenever you lightup for use. After a couple of times, you will be able to light the burner and release gently. It happened to me and the gas fitter in Germany showed me. It works perfect now.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Hi Diabalo

Is that the little thing that sticks up next to the flame? Where do I buy a thermo coupler?

Something like this:
Link Removed

ta.
Yes that is a thermocoupler, what ever is inside heats up expands and holds the gas valve open, if the flame goes out it shuts the gas off.

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi

Just for clarification the thermocouples used as part of the safety devices on gas appliances work on the principal of when heat is applied to the tip of the thermocouple it generates a very small current (50 mill-amp I believe) that is sufficient to energize an electromagnet which in turn holds a gas valve open while the current flows.

The electromagnet is not strong enough to pull the valve open by itself, that is why as part of the action to turn the appliance on you need to hold/push the button/knob in, which is doing 2 things one allowing the gas to flow to the burner/pilot etc and the second is holding/pushing the valve against the electromagnet until sufficient electrical energy has energized the magnet sufficiently to hold the valve on its own ?

Remove the source of the heat (Pilot -Burner -etc goes out) and the electro magnet loses its energy and the valve drops shutting off the gas,

sorry its a bit long winded but I hope it makes sense, it is a good form of flame failure protection and should not be interfered with by untrained people, as with any gas appliances you should call in a CORGI registered engineer to affect any repairs.

Yes that is a thermocoupler, what ever is inside heats up expands and holds the gas valve open, if the flame goes out it shuts the gas off.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
Fixed

Light the burner, hold it in for a few seconds then release and push in real fast a couple of times then slowly release. Follow this procedure whenever you lightup for use. After a couple of times, you will be able to light the burner and release gently. It happened to me and the gas fitter in Germany showed me. It works perfect now.

Beachbum - that worked perfectly - Thanks muchly ::bigsmile::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back