One for the model aircraft fan's

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by airwave, Jun 10, 2016.

1. airwave

airwave Funster

Found this on utube , i love it . thought some of you guy's might too (ha , so long as it work's that is)

• Like Like x 12
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
  2. rosierose

rosierose Funster

I loved it too. The sound was awesome!

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Baycott

Baycott Funster

It works fine (y)
    I wish I still had the space to have a model making room. I flew R/C aircraft for 12 years from 1979 and loved every Sunday morning when the club met at our own field.

• Like Like x 1
  4. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

Awesome

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. airwave

airwave Funster

That's about the time , when i started , John . I switched to chopper's in the mid 80's , but i spent more time rebuilding the dam thing's . I got involved with sailing toward's the end of the 80's , and that finally took over when i brought my own yacht . I did go to a training school several year's later , and though i could fly their bird , when i tried to convert back to mine , hah , yep ya guessed it , i crashed , actually i did a proper job this time , and attempted to cut the tail off with the main rotor (and i kid you not) . Trouble is i damaged the rotor head in the process , and part's are difficult to find , to repair it , now . I did manage to get hold of a later , series 2 rotor head , but i can't get the control system to work .
    I'm still interested in them , and being involved with the real thing , mean's where ever i am , i can often fly them , just i'm so busy right now , maybe in a few year's time , when thing settle's down a bit , i'll get a fixed wing trainer and soup it up a bit . we see ! .

Mickey .

• Like Like x 1
  6. Baycott

Baycott Funster

@airwave I only ever flew fixed wing Mickey, was never brave (or wealthy) enough to try choppers. I was fortunate enough to have Avicraft on our doorstep (don't know if you have heard of them but if not Google Avicraft panic). Only ever flew for fun but could manage quite well. Was in the process of building a Cranfield 80" when my marriage broke up in '92 and, allegedly, a "fox got in the garage and chewed all your planes";)
    Would love to get back into it again but as said I just don't have the room:(

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. airwave

airwave Funster

@Baycott , Ah , wealth , now that strike's a cord , John , lol . Yeah it can be expensive , especially chopper's , but then can't everything . I think i may have cracked it though , with a computer flight simulator , can push the envelope as much as i want and if i do stuff it up and bend it , just press enter and start again . Control is just the same with a transmitter , except it plug's into the computer .
    I'm the same , fly for fun too , except for the last 12 year's , i've been involved with these thing's . This is my calypso glider , at Woolacombe , N Devon ,

Photo0001.jpg
    and for when the wind is in an uncooperative mood , my Target , and Doodlebug powered harness , at the North Norfolk hang gliding field , nr Dereham .

image0348_001.jpg
    I stay on the airfield for up to 5 week's , helping some friend's , who run a training school in Spain , but during August they come here . Normally , i camp , but next year , all thing's being equal , i plan to have a motorhome up there . Plenty of space to fly model's there , main runway 1500m and secondary 1000m .
    Oh and one little thing , the fox and your garage , well i don't know the full story , however i will say it's possible . Year's ago i worked at Oxford airport in the store's , and heard of a Piper supercub that was written off , after an emergency landing . Seem it was not badly damaged , but the cow's soon put that to right's , they licked the fabric to bit's , why ? , well they liked the dope . Bit of useless information i picked up .

Mickey ..

• Like Like x 1
  8. rangitira

rangitira Funster

That was fabulous!

Reminds me of an incident, I might have posted before

I knew this fella in Ohope NZ he was really weird, go to work , come home 3 weeks later, where you been ? to work! his wife had to go to the bank to get copies of his cheques to find out where he had been.

Anyway! he sort of latched on to Maureen and I, I'm gonna build a model seaplane says ee, will you come down to the beach and help me fly it, Yep says I
    (baring in mind this fella asked if I'd help him launch a boat he was building in his basement, it wouldn't fit thro the window!!)
    Months later he came to our house YES! the seaplane was ready for it's inaugeral flight!
    From memory this thing was a model of a "Grummun Goose" a pusher!, give the fella his due this thing was perfect! absolutely !
    Anyway!
    We put the thing on the Lagoon he revved it up and off it went!
    WHEEEEERRR Down the beach
    WHEEEEERRR along the beach
    WHEEEEERRR inland
    WHEEEERRR out to sea
    John flicked the controls
    WHEEEERRR still out to sea
    John wrestled with the controls frantically twisting and shoving and pulling, WHEEEERRR OUT TO SEA

So! If any Funster walking on a beach in Chile finds a model Grummun Goose, John in Ohope would like it back

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Wow.

10. The Wino

The Wino Funster

Great model great kitten

11. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Loved the sound !! Cheers :)

12. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Built allsorts years ago.
    Started with a little Keilcraft trainer.
    A mate tried to trim it on its maiden flight but it simply didn't fly....carrier bag jobby.
    Progressed through various models including a 7ft span Zlin 50 from drawings.
    Designed for a .60ci (10cc) engine but would almost stay airborne with a 28cc petrol strimmer engine sat up front.
    I think I built that one TOO heavy.
    Then a fancy 6ft span aerobatic, Sukoi something or other, with a super tiger ST23 (23cc).
    Flew really well but sold it before I stuffed it.
    Then the Wot4 with a super tiger ST60..
    lasted about 4 years then abandoned but still have it.
    Most enjoyable was it's successor, a modified Wotswot, bolt on wings rather than the supplied rubber band as I figured the banded wings would flap like sails with some of the stress I put that through with a super tiger ST90 (15cc) sat up front. Had that 2 or 3 years then sold it too.
    Had a lot of less memorable models as well including various slope soarers.
    Tried rotary but after a year I could just about hover in a semi stable fashion....gave up.
    Still got that on top of the wardrobe, last flown 15 years ago..

• Like Like x 1