One for the Battery Charging experts (1 Viewer)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hi Guys

My combi inverter/charger has a limited charging regime, aimed at AGM and Gel batteries .
The default setting is;

Absorb 14.4v (Absorption time 8 hours)
Float 13.8v
Storage 13.2v

However the Sealed Lead Acid batteries I'm thinking of buying (Varta LFD90) have the following regime;

Absorb 14.4V
Float 13.4 - 13.5v

Will this regime kill the battery?

Thanks very much

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Probably. The voltage is not a problem but the time taken by the absorption phase is. Eight hours is designed for gel batteries which take much longer to charge than flooded lead-acid such as the LFD90.
Are you certain there is no lead-acid setting with an absorption phase of 1 or 2 hours?
Incidentally, 8 hours is probably much too long for most AGM batteries too!

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
These are the available regimes

IMG_7324.JPG

Is there a more suitable one ?

Another option I'm considering is fitting a dedicated battery charger - would this be better?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Just fit some decent Gel batteries Robert.

Martin
That's certainly a consideration Martin - however looking at the Charging voltages for the Exide ES900, 14.4V and 13.7V, there doesn't appear to be a suitable setting for those either - or am I mis understanding the data?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Are you certain there is no lead-acid setting with an absorption phase of 1 or 2 hours?

That's the way they are going, latest Elecktroblocks in Hymer's are Agm & Gel only the Gel charges to 14.4v and holds for 16 hours then drops to 13.8v, on AGM charges to 14.7v and holds for 4 hours then drops to 13.8v.

Going back to Roberts question I don't think it will do the wet cells a lot of good, although wet cells are more tolerant of charging voltages it will probably shorten their life, also with holding them at the higher voltage for long periods a strong possibility of them gassing off.
6 off them gassing off strike a match, by, by, Robert.:D

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
That's certainly a consideration Martin - however looking at the Charging voltages for the Exide ES900, 14.4V and 13.7V, there doesn't appear to be a suitable setting for those either - or am I mis understanding the data?
The first setting in your list is fine for the ES900

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
That's the way they are going, latest Elecktroblocks in Hymer's are Agm & Gel only the Gel charges to 14.4v and holds for 16 hours then drops to 13.8v, on AGM charges to 14.7v and holds for 4 hours then drops to 13.8v.

Going back to Roberts question I don't think it will do the wet cells a lot of good, although wet cells are more tolerant of charging voltages it will probably shorten their life, also with the holding them at the higher voltage for long periods a strong possibility of them passing off.
6 off them gassing off strike a match, by, by, Robert.:D

Gels it is then - would hate to go up in a puff of smoke !

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Does
It's the 12v 2kw compact one
Am travelling now so can't quote the ref number - sorry
Doesn't matter it's the same as mine. I just plug in my pc to the remote panel port on the inverter/charger and configure float, absorption volts, absorption time battery type, an absolute ton of stuff. So if I remember you have an installer who is doing this for you, if he has said these limits I would be concerned. He should have the experience to set this up, it can be achieved with dip switches but software is easier and a variety of battery types. My Varta AGM needed 14.8 absorption and 13.8 float. I will try and attach some screenshots of some of the setup pages.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Here are the various page options that I have setup. The battery type I have overridden but they have all main types which you can use as a base and modify elements as I have outlined. I have used this software to configure a range of Victron units for years on 3 boats and 2 motorhomes so any advice, feel free. You have the most configurable manufacturers inverter/charger.

Attachments

• Settings Flair.pdf
    351 KB · Views: 39

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Robert just looked at the page you attached, that's the dip switch settings which are limited, don't go down that route too complicated and hard to change.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Here are the various page options that I have setup. The battery type I have overridden but they have all main types which you can use as a base and modify elements as I have outlined. I have used this software to configure a range of Victron units for years on 3 boats and 2 motorhomes so any advice, feel free. You have the most configurable manufacturers inverter/charger.
Thank you Michael- that's just the job !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back