Onan woes

Discussion in 'American RV's' started by WinnietheBrave, Aug 17, 2011.

1. WinnietheBrave

WinnietheBrave Read Only Funster

I beginning to fall out of love with my Rv, it has more pains than pleasure lately.
    My genny did work, was fine the last time it was run. I know they can be a bugger to start if left for a while, so the last attempt I tried till the battery was failing. ( not continuous ) the issue I have now is that it won't even turn over, all I hear is a sort of click/clunk as if the starter is jammed.
    Anyone have an idea where to begin?

2. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

A box of swan matches :Wink::Wink::Wink:

3. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

I am not a RV man but most engines are the same

Hi.... normally when you get the click/clunk it is battery flat..bad battery connections,,,,,solenoid....starter dog/spiral/starter ring.......
    If it was me start simple...fully charge the Battery...and make your connections are ok.....try that...make sure your petrol is switched on and you have some in the tank..clean you spark plug or put new one in...then if it does not work check the next item etc....if when running it sounds rough, stops and starts...then clean Filter, clean carb, clean jets...is the choke working ok...

Mel:thumb: good luck

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  4. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

check earth lead

5. Heyupluv

I can see you are a down to earth fella Martin :thumb:....like me, runs in the family

• Like Like x 1
  6. Heyupluv

Martin !! I thought smoking was banned in public places:Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  7. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

As said, battery must be charged, check voltage , if it is 12v or lower it is dead.. a fully charged battery should read 12.6 - 12.8v

If ok, then check: battery connections, earth strap and starter solenoid connections ... remove and clean if in any doubt..

Rather than copy/paste, here is the Onan genset trouble shooting guide .
    I would print this out and keep for future reference ..

http://www.flightsystems.com/pdf/onanrvtshootgd608.pdf

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  8. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

not having one of these onan gennys but seem to remember from conversations with people that you need more than a quarter of a tank of fuel and if lower than that they wont run, they are so designed so that the genny doesnt leave you with no fuel in the middle of nowhere so to speak.

i really do start with looking at the simple/easy things

9. scotjimland

indeed, but it wont turn over .. so it's not fuel starvation ..

10. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

you say its hard to start when left for a while?
    the first thing i would do is drain down the carb as the fuel might be stale,i have the same problem with my 125 motorbike that i carry on the back of my motorhome,it will not start untill iv got rid of the fuel that has sat in the carb for sometime as it has gone stale,once fresh fuel is in the carb it will fire up first time:thumb:
    i had a mower given me,as the guy could not start it after it had layed up over winter,i did no more than drained the stale fuel out and that mower starts and run's perfect to this day:thumb:

11. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Running Air Con and genny once a month for about 1/2-1 hr is best practice
    Do I do it No:RollEyes::Blush:

12. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

If the RV is diesel its more than likely the genny is LPG, if the RV is petrol then the genny will be petrol.
    On the odd occasion that I have had this problem its always been the starter solenoid sticking. A quick fix is get under it with a hammer and give it a few gentle taps.
    I had a single cylinder Onan once that had a bleed button on the LPG regulator which you had to press in after it had been standing for some time.
    My diagnosis is dirty contacts or faulty starter solenoid.
    Stick with it, its all part of the joys of RV ownership. You got it so you gotta fix it.

13. Dodgey

Dodgey Funster

....and check the plug gap once the cranking issues sorted, 18thou not 25 as it is for petrol, as I seem to remember your a diesel engine therefore LPG gen, as Dave pointed out above:thumb:

14. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

15. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

try a long screwdriver a cross the solenoid a stater to see iv it turns over its worked for me on some of my cars

16. simon_simon

simon_simon Read Only Funster

My onan fix

Like you I had problems with my Onan, used to be a pig to start especially after a period of non use, then failed to start at all. Found a couple of reasons for this, first these take a good battery to turn over, a battery that would spin a 5.7l chevy over had problems turning the genny over, against my better mechanical sympathy by holding the starter button in it would push it gradually over tdc and then proceed to spin away.
    Also found the fuel pump would only work if you bashed it, I guess the starter/engine vibration had been keeping it pumping till it expired terminally, I found this by fitting a see through filter which showed the lack of fuel. the duff pump was replaced with a standard generic low pressure pump from ebay.
    Which leads to the last issue which was a jelly had formed in the fuel tank which kept being sucked into the carb, take the carb float bowl off and it was in the bottom and it needed the jets blown out with an air line to remove especially around the electric stop valve, this took ages to find as it was difficult to spot the jelly and it would run for 10 mins and then get refouled up.
    Manuals can be downloaded and I was surprise how complex these things are, however the manuals have a good set of diagnostic instructions which got me through the dark periods.

Hope this helps

Simon

17. WinnietheBrave

WinnietheBrave Read Only Funster

Thanks everybody for the input, well spotted to those who knew it is LPG, me bad for not stating this in my opening volley.
    I have a basic mechanical knowledge, but for some reason this LPG issue scares me:Eeek:

I have good batteries, I have full tank of LPG. If I had to have a stab at the problem, I would say the starter solenoid is jammed/buggered, my only reason for thinking this, would be from over zealous starting.

@ Snowbird, this Bleed button on the regulator, tell me more. Is the regulator on the genny or elsewhere?
    And you are right, I have it, so have to sort it :thumb:

18. lugnutt

lugnutt Funster Life Member

hi i had a generic in mine it had the same probs as you .to get to the starter motor it had to be removed as no way of geting to it, the cost of a new one was about £250.00 so took it to a place for rewinding but the armature was diferent to english motors and they could not do it scraped it and bought a geni in a frame cut fram down and fitterd into gap cost less than a new starter and not as thirsty as a yank one

• Like Like x 1
  19. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

So if you are already in the middle of nowhere, with no additional fuel available, are you left with a quarter of a tank of fuel you cannot use?:Doh:

Would a reserve valve as on most older motorbikes not be more useful so you can use the last quarter.:Eeek:

20. scotjimland

Perhaps you misunderstand..

Unless LPG powered, the genny runs on the fuel from the RV engine fuel tank.. if you empty it your going nowhere .. from the middle of nowhere :Laughing: