Onan LPG genset

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by WinnietheBrave, Jun 29, 2010.

1. WinnietheBrave

WinnietheBrave Read Only Funster

I'm all problems today :RollEyes:.
    I have had my Winnie for almost 12 mths. so I think its time to sort out its problems before winter returns and its to cold to work on her.

It has a Onan LPG genset fitted, it turns over fine, but just won't start, I have topped up the oil, and the battery is good, I have had the spark plug out a while ago and it appeared to be wet, which i thought was odd, I thought gas would evaporate ??

I know nothing of this type of unit so any help at all would be appreciated.

2. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

LPG engines need to start on petrol, has it a supply? is your petrol tank low?

3. BobProperty

BobProperty Read Only Funster

When was it last run? Not only is it likely to need petrol to start but petrol "goes off" with old age. If the petrol is several months old I'd look to putting some fresh in.

4. WinnietheBrave

Petrol:Confused: i thought it was LPG, doesn't mention petrol in the owners manual, just says to make sure the LPG is on.

5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hi

I had the same problem and it was the LPG solenoid valve in the feed line that was stuck.

It was a simple job to remove and clean it .. If that is ok, check the solenoid coil and it has 12v when you crank the engine.

John. LPG Gennies don't have a petrol supply for starting.

6. motorvating

motorvating Read Only Funster

My RV's Genny works off LPG, and does not need to start with petrol, as I think is the case with all RV LPG gennies.

If your LPG tank is less then 1/4 full the genny will not work. I think it is a safety precaution!!!!

7. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Not the Onan genny John,it runs totaly on LPG.
    Those Onans are pretty much bombproof. I believe Cummins are the agent for them in the States,so whether a Cummins agent can sort the problem here I dont know..This is the Cummins freefone no...08002866467 I always found them very helpfull.

8. WinnietheBrave

Hi Jim, they had me going then!
    Where will I find the solenoid valve, will it be on the unit or nearer the lpg tank?

Motovating, my LPG tank is low at the mo. but it was just under half full when I bought her, and it didn't work then either, I got a few quid off the sale price because of this.

9. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

Road Runner eats humble pie:Laughing:

I have 2 LPG vehicles so thought it would be same system for starting.

I am forever humbled by my misleading post:Wink::Laughing:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wish my 998cc onan would run on LPG:shout::cry:

10. BobProperty

BobProperty Read Only Funster

Ditto.

OT who was the marketing "genius" who came up with Onan as name for a series of generators?

11. scotjimland

Hi

should be close to or even mounted on the genny, look for the LPG feed pipe coming into the genny locker and follow it .. should be fairly easy to spot ..

sorry I can't be more specific.

12. Dodgey

Dodgey Funster

As has been said these are LPG only and if you look in your gas locker you'll notice you have two regulators. I beleive, well on our at least, the rear most one is the geni so follow it for Jim's advise.

When cranking can you smell LPG? Our was a bugger to start the other day, though some of it was me:Blush:, kept releasing the switch as it caught when it needs held for a second or so after untill it's fired properly. No LPG smell would to me confirm gas feed problem, like Jim said or duff regulator. Failing that, spark plug out and check you're getting a spark CAREFULLY.

Good luck!

13. TomTee

TomTee Deleted User

My thoughts exactly. He obviously has no knowledge of the Bible and who Onan was! I once had a budgerigar called Onan - I named him that because he always spilled his seed on the ground.

14. WinnietheBrave

Jim any clue as to what this soleniod looks like? I have followed the pipe from the tank to the genny but there is nothing on the line, it just goes into a hole in the side of the genny?

15. scotjimland

A small valve with a coil on top with a pair of wires but it sound like yours may be a different set up from mine which looks similar like this

[​IMG]

hopefully someone else with your genny can advise better, do you not have a manual or drawing showing the lpg feed ?

16. WinnietheBrave

I do have a user and installation manual, sadly not one of them show inlet, only exhaust diagrams.
    I'll go and have another look for the solenoid, it may mean removing the genny from it's housing?

17. WinnietheBrave

I found something that looks a lot like the solenoid pictured, although the top of mine has a top part that unscrews, I only know this as It was already loose! I also found an in line fuse underneath the truck that is all corroded so I will replace this tomorrow, and just tighten the solenoid? to begin with, and see where to go from there.

Thank you all so far for the advise:thumb:

18. scotjimland

The coil is usually secured by a nut to the core and the core screws into the valve body, that is probably what you have tightened .. so give it another try once you have replaced / cleaned the fuse and holder ..

If that fails then look to removing the coil and the core of the valve and give it a clean with some petrol or whatever you have to hand .. it should slip up and down inside the core easily. Be careful not to drop the spring inside.. it's a bugger when it shoots away under the RV :Laughing:

.. I'm sure I don't need to remind you but make sure you have isolated the LPG at the tank before dismantling the solenoid.

19. WinnietheBrave

Er:Blush: No no not at all, isolate the LPG before dismantling the solenoid :Eeek:

20. Dodgey

Dodgey Funster

Isolate, turn the tap off at the tank, before regulators.