LIFE MEMBER
Jun 29, 2008
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
american coach
Exp
20 plus another 12years tugging/small campers
I have a problem with a Onan LPG Generator. The generator will start from the remote start or the generator direct but when you release the starter switch it stops. Any ideas?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi

I have a Kolar which had a similar problem, turned out it was low oil in the sump, there is a low oil level switch in mine,,, .. have you checked the oil level ?

Camperian

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Dorset - 6months, Spain - 6months
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 years
Jim, I had the same problem a while ago. it turned out to be a perished rubber breather tube on the top of the Onan. How old is your unit and how many hours?

Ian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Hi had the same problem on my 1998 Tiffin Allegro turned out to be a corroded circuit board £150's worth I think to replace.

2hn6n3m.jpg

Regards Pat

OP
OP
buyer

buyer

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 29, 2008
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
american coach
Exp
onan generator fault

hi,thanks for your feedback so far,i have today rechecked the oil level and that is ok i put some more in and still no change,many years ago i had a problem with a car that would only run when the starter was being cranked ,let go of the switch and the engine would stop,turn the key again either before the engine stopped spinning or after it stopped and it burst into life again ,but obviously you cant run the starter for long or you are guaranteed a whole different set off problems. that turned out to be a ballast resitor causing the problem,my problem now is i do not know whether an onan lpg fueled 6.5kva emerald plus of 1991 vintage with 350 hours up it has got a ballast resistor or not and if it has i would not know where to find it or even what it looks like ,so any assistance from any of you clever peeps out there would be much appreciated many thanks in anticipation .steve (buyer).:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Steve..

It may be a faulty oil level sensor, one way to prove is to disconnect it and short out the two wires..

there is a thread here on another forum which may help ..

Link Removed

and here

Link Removed

damondunc

Funster
Aug 2, 2007
near Lincoln
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
You have one of three possible problems:
(1) the brush pack at the right hand end of the generator is either dirty or the brushes are U/S (when you press the starter button the ignition system for the generator runs from the battery, once it fires up the generator supplies 12 volts through these brushes to run the ignition system on release of the starter button).
(2) The control board (the one that the starter button is mounted on) is either damp or U/S,
Take plastic cover off and remove the board and put on top of a radiator for five minutes, then reassemble it, worth a try it's worked a few times.
(3) the voltage regulator is U/S
See how you get on.
Dunc.

OP
OP
buyer

buyer

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 29, 2008
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
american coach
Exp
onan generator fault

just an update,i today had a mess with my generator, disconecting the control panel,and as many wires as i could and reconecting them it then started to work ok so i squirted wd40 type moisture repeller all over the back of the panel and reassembled the geny ,it now starts and runs ok from both the geny and the interior remote and i let it run for quite a while stopping and starting it numerous times and it appears to be ok lets hope it still works in march because newarke aint warm in march,hope to see you there,many thanks.steve.(buyer).:thumb::Smile:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Onan Emerald

Hi

You pre-empted me,! as my suggestion was Moisture. My genny is located just behind the front wheel and I have "drowned" it several times!! A BIG "Mud Flap" helps a bit. But I still have to get the WD40 out if i`ts been really wet, before I can get a start or a Smooth run.

So Keep the WD handy!! Years ago, As Sea, we had a product that you could Spray onto electrical equipment, (plug leads, connectors etc) which effectivly sealed them from moisture ingress,(sort of like a hard waxy film) but I have not seen anything like it in years, anyone know if such a thing still exists?

Short of re-locating the genny, I just have to live with it!!.

Pete

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Hi

You pre-empted me,! as my suggestion was Moisture. My genny is located just behind the front wheel and I have "drowned" it several times!! A BIG "Mud Flap" helps a bit. But I still have to get the WD40 out if i`ts been really wet, before I can get a start or a Smooth run.

So Keep the WD handy!! Years ago, As Sea, we had a product that you could Spray onto electrical equipment, (plug leads, connectors etc) which effectivly sealed them from moisture ingress,(sort of like a hard waxy film) but I have not seen anything like it in years, anyone know if such a thing still exists?

Short of re-locating the genny, I just have to live with it!!.

Pete

If you want to seal circuit boards etc, you want a conformal coating. Maplins will sell it I presume. Its like lacquer and seals the board.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back