onan 400 genset/petrol..wont stop

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by harryoxford2, Oct 3, 2010.

1. harryoxford2

harryoxford2 Read Only Funster

Hi all,
    Just to be different, as I have read alot about how to get a genny started, as non starting seems to be a problem...Ive got the opposite.

My genny wont stop once started...not even the stop start switch on the genny itself stopos it.

After a few hours of annoying the neighbours I did discover that if I disconnected the leisure battery the genny stopped.

The whole story is that it always starts...now that I realise you have to have enough in the battery to crank it....and if the panel inside shows the hours its totally run..8 in this case, and the output amps..5.5 i think then it will stop....but if there is nothing in that panel then it wont.

????

Im in a mind to install a heavy duty emergeny on off switch to the battery. Unless anyone can help with a better solution.

I have seen a battery isolation switch mentioned in all the bumf paperwork..they just dont tell you where it is.

For starting the genny my plan is to carry a smaller fully charged battery disconnected that I can jump to engine or leisure battery so I dont get stuck....Overkill?? or do others do this.

My spare cost me £10 quid from the scrap yard..he let me keep charging likely good batteries up to see if they held charge so this is a decent spare.

2. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

More than likely the stop/start switch is knackered, it normally earths the magneto so take it apart and find the earth lead and use that or a new switch.

Peter

3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

good point Peter, but 'arry did say it wont stop from either the dashboard switch or the actual genny control panel switch.

points to a common (to both switchs) wiring/relay or selonoid fault

4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

My money is on .. Sticking fuel solenoid .

strip and clean

5. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

May sound at first like a daft question Arry, but what engine is in the RV...petrol or diesel???
    If its petrol, the genny is petrol.
    If its diesel,chances are the genny is LPG.

6. pappajohn

the clue could be in the thread title Dave....:Rofl1:

[​IMG] onan 400 genset/petrol..wont stop

7. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

I know that.....but does Arry???

8. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Not sure but I think only diesel would have a solenoid, petrol ones ?

Peter

9. scotjimland

correct Peter .. diesel or lpg ..

note to self.. engage brain before typing nonsense :Doh:

As previously suggested.. a faulty relay , probably the contacts fused together

10. pappajohn

almost sure i read that my onboard Generic petrol genny has a fuel shutoff selonoid remote from the carb.

11. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

master turn off switch

There should be a master chassis turn off switch, it is normally around the door of the habitation area.. mine is on the floor, some are above the door as you go out.. it closes everything down when it is pressed. That should stop the genny. I have the same genny in my Winnibago Aspect.. normally it is as good as gold. But I do notice it takes longer to crank it to life from the panel than it does from the on off switch on the genny it's self.

Bob:Eeek:

12. Dodgey

Dodgey Funster

Get a mirror on a stalk, bendy type and torch and examine the whole genni, mirror and torch for down the back otherwise torch and a good look.

Whilst our genni started, stopped and ran fine I discovered there had been a criter living in the geni compartment the had chewed through a wire, no idea what it did and a bugger to fix given it disappeared down the back of the unit but worth a good investigate as as others have said it's going to be something common, and on the genni itself, as none of the switches stop it (you are holding it down and not just 'flicking it'?).

Just a thought?

13. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

not such a silly remark

Not such a silly remark as some may think... as when you crank it up you have to hold the switch on until it fires and that is the same with the stopping of it. Same goes for firing the hot water boiler up.. OK it is just a flip up to stop .... but on the genni it has to stop before you let go of the button.

So I agree with Simon (Dodgey) that this could be the issue if you ahve not owned an RV before.

Bob:thumb:

14. harryoxford2

wow..thanks guys

Thanks to you all....thats got my mind working overtime. Yes I will check diesel petrol or lpg.

Check 1 ..not diesel..never put any in and no place to put it.

I have instalation and user manuals for this..but generic ones. Ie if you have this then do that...if you have this ..do the other..and of course in the manual it gives all 3 versions diesel petrol and lpg. Sat here I have doubts.

But being mechanically minded the earth cable sounds good as it would explain why both switches dont work.

I am inspired..Ill keep you updated.

15. Dodgey

Dodgey Funster

Good, and good luck:thumb:

16. harryoxford2

ok.. petrol

Just checked and it says on the certificate stuck on it

onan 4000 4ky
    fuel type...GASO

It just started and stopped fine whilst I was under there but I did notice a red light in the center of the on off switch was lit. Not flashing..as it flashes a sequence of on and off to denote if it needs a service or over cranking etc.

The red light when it wouldnt stop was not illuminated at all. I should have said that before but of course you dont notice something that isnt there sometimes until another time it is there and then you realise it wasnt the time before...?

It is something I have noticed that when it wont stop the display inside the rv which shows hours and charge ist lit or displaying figures.....and now I know that neither is the red light on the on off switch on the genny itself.

Electrical earth sounds a good place to start.

So if my only discovered action when it wont stop is to simply disconnect the battery..is that normal too?, I dont understand why once running the battery would have anything to do with circitery...unless of course the battery was the only source of earth for the appliance....

well at least one good thing it actually ran for 8 hours without fault...you cant ask fairer than that?:Rofl1:

17. Dodgey

Dodgey Funster

Could just be lightly corroded contacts in the/a switch and a bit of 'exersize' is needed, especially as you said the RVs been standing 4 years?

18. harryoxford2

Thanks Dodgey....ermm whats the "the/a switch" is that alternator??

19. scotjimland

you'll fit in just dandy at Fun meets .. queues forming for a free ehu :Wink:

actually, I'm a bit disappointed 'arry , after all the 'expert' advice I was hoping for a eureka post :Sad:

20. Dodgey

Dodgey Funster

The switch on the genni or a switch elsewhere, I would suspect the genni one. Try it now and again and see if the fault has gone or reoccures that'll confirm light corrosion on the contacts, ie if it seems fine after a couple of tests I'd go with it (now) aint broke so don't fix it:thumb::Rofl1: