On the Road with the German Rapido (1 Viewer)

Oct 20, 2014
Wicklow Town, Ireland
Funster No
MH
2020 Avantgarde 175
Exp
A good few years
I just dont get it, some owners on here have very, very nice MH's that cost a LOT of money. Why would you want to mess with the fuel and possibly cause major damage to the engine by adding whatever snake oils, just to get a few more mpg???....It all sounds too much like penny wise and pounds foolish to me...

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
It would be nice to let Haganap use his thread to talk about his new van rather than it be completely derailed by all talk of fuel additives which ought to be in a separate thread!
Hear hear Abacist.

Jock. :)

P.S. There appears to be a touch of the "Dark Side" to many threads on here of late, and it's not nice. :(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
It's only natural that it will wander given that the main issue in post one was 17mpg and wobbly suspension
I'm sure it will regroup every time Paul adds a post (y)

EDIT
To be fair it is all part of the discussion
Interesting thing about adding the 2 stroke, never heard that before? was the recognition instant or did you have to wait a while to see the benefits:)

Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
What have you gone for Paul and does yours have a Merc chassis or ALKO?
EDIT in fact do any mercs get coupled to ALKO?

Oct 5, 2009
anglesey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
since 1999
SV Tech would only up rate our 2013 891M to 4000KG no mention of air suspension or tyre upgrade, said it was the max that Mercedes would allow due to the electronic stability program [ ESP].
We achieved 22 mpg over our last 3000 mile trip to Spain cruise at 2000 rpm which gives 62 mph on the seven speed auto.
Squeaky dash problem give a good spray of silicone or even better Plege furniture polish between the front edge of dash and windscreen stops ours for a few months.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
To be fair it is all part of the discussion
It's not so much what's being discussed Andy, but more the way (by some) in which it's being discussed. :(
I know what I read, and the manner in which it was meant by the poster. Enough said.

Paul, I wish you well in getting to the point you want to be with handling, weight upgrading, and overall use. (y)

Good luck, (y)

Jock.

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Well an update and a pleasing one.

Today as part of the comments on this forum that I like to think after all these years me and many like me helped get off the ground and turn it in to the great place it now is I had a telephone call.

I was in a meeting with 8 of my managers bleating that they are not paid enough etc etc when the phone rang. It was Kath whom is the MD's wife. She informed me that she had seen my comments and wished for some clarification as to what had happened, what went wrong and how.

I spoke at length with her (over 40 mins) and gave her the story from top to bottom. I have to say I actually felt sorry for her as she really struggled to defend the salesman and our experience. I informed and as I said in here and to anyone who knows me, I don't want a 50% refund or indeed an unrealistic expectation of anything as I truly believe the van is ace. All I wanted was to ensure that they listened and in some way realise that Nikki and I were customers and that we expected to receive a little more respect, understanding and most of all just be listened to and hope the company could learn from what went wrong.

At the end of the call she promised to investigate, speak to her husband who is the MD and call me back. She did so, and I am happy to report apologised and done her utmost to ensure that the matter will be dealt with.
I was pleased with the outcome, the offer to fit my awning that I got from John Cross and give the van a clean. It wasn't about getting something added, I would of been happy with a bunch of flowers for Nikki and a bottle of Jamesons whisky for me.

Anyhow, the issue as far as I am concerned has been dealt with very professionally, we still have the wonderful van we love, me and @drago35uk are going to put the awning on next weekend, Ill polish the van at the Bring and buy whilst awaiting the fusnters to come along and parking them up. But this weekend I'm off to Saltburn in the van and running the Hardmoors Saltburn marathon on Sunday so more enjoyment in the 17 mpg Merc beast that I just filled up for less than ÂŁ1 per litre using my tesco savings.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Paul

At least she called you and took some interest in your feedback, I think we spoke to he same lady a few years ago at a MH show and she seemed very nice so top marks to her, give us a wave if you pass through Guisborough at the weekend.

Happy polishing.

Martin

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Ha ha Martin, I think I am going over that Roseberry bloody topping again...

yes she was nice, oddly enough I met her husband a couple of years back at the NEC and he too was decent

Jean-luc

Free Member
Aug 15, 2014
Funster No
MH
Rapido 963F
Exp
Since 2005
Two stroke or not two stroke, that is the question :worried:

Results from the recent NCT roadworthiness test (MOT equivalent)
My car = 2003 Volvo S40 1.9 D Sport, 220,522 miles
Fuel = Diesel with 1:200 2T mix
Smoke reading 0.080/m .... Fail limit 2.50/m

Average MPG 52 ish.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Paul @haganap was that you following me through Great Ayton today about 5:10 pm looked like a Mercedes based Rapido.

I did wave.

Martin

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Ha ha Martin. ..it was indeed. ..i said nikki I'm sure that's Martin and Jennys van and there can't be too many n and b flairs around Guisborough... we assumed you must be at Malvern....sort of got a glimpse of your head when you turned right and realised it was a left hand drive. ..we are staying at marg rove park council estate lol

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We were both right then, just taking the van home from storage and getting sorted for the off on Sunday to a tandem rally in the south of the Czech Republic then a leasurely trip back through Germany.

Have fun Sunday, going should be firm to boggy:LOL:.

Martin

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Sorry but the science doesn't back up the use of 2 stroke oil in modern diesels. However, it is a free country and the best dynamometer is the seat of the pants, so if it works for someone then no issues. I'd prefer to keep my warranty

So would I .............. The problem is and despite the claims is that adding 2T to a modern diesel can gubber the DPF (Fitted to most later vehicles)
Add to this the pumps are designed to work with diesel as it is and not in a modified state.

I would like to believe the hype and get the advantages but for us our 18 month old MH and our cars were very expensive purchases paid for on the nail with hard graft. Simply put I cant afford to take the risk !

I do occasionally put some Millers diesel treatment in the tank and use only premium fuels which are proven ( by me ) to give slightly better MPG.

But hey its your motors guys and gals do as you see fit .........

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm here at Saltburn. ...managed a whacking 25mpg on the run...steady 55mph with cruise on....going home I'm heading for 17 mpg as nikki will be asleep so I can get me foot down

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Paul, I thought you would be sleeping and Nikki driving, in which case close to 30 MPG should be on the cards.

Martin

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Well arrived home after a tough marathon and after 500+ miles thought I would give some opinon's.
Love the van, Nikki's cleaned it up a bit and I will polish it up this week at the B&B. Really well built and solid with lots of lovely little bits and bobs to keep me happy.
The Merc engine is fab, but I have to be honest and say I'm uninspired by the Mercedes V Fiat. The merc attached to an auto box and a 3l v6 is lovely but why do they spoil it? It's a delivery van and unrefined compared to the Fiat.
However, on the way home, managed about 23 mpg at a nice 70 ish so all in all the MPG ain't as bad as I first thought.

so starting to get used to it and love the bed, big and comfy.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
it will be interesting to compare notes next weekend, see if yours rolls from side to side like mine at low speed on uneven ground

I am already envious of your 23 mpg, but as Andy @Techno100 will tell us the dashboard readings lie :)

Hope to have turbo rebuilt by Thursday or we will have to miss next weekend, looking good at the moment

Last edited:

Bigjock70

Free Member
Aug 18, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexio
Exp
Since 1996
Dear Haganaps, I was horrified to read your thread that contained reference to a rude sales person at E S Hartley. I can only presume that you're referring to a chap called Graham Downes? (the "my friend" and "mate" give it away, but guess he's stopped using "pal" as he did with me at the Glasgow Show a couple of years ago!) Can't believe they still employ him. My "run in" started at the motorhome show at the SECC. Made a serious enquiry on a VW that they had on Show, I wanted to take a while to look round it (after all, it was ÂŁ40k + and a big purchase for me). I appreciate that sales people have a job to do but this guy was just on and on with "are you here to buy pal?" etc...After a while he went off to bug someone else. That evening, we made the decision that we'd go back the next day and order, but before we did, I did a bit of website searching on the Company and came across their Facebook page. Being a newbie to a Facebook, I spent quite a bit of time on their page and liked what I reading about them - that was until I clicked on their FRIENDS page. I clicked on the page and could see that Graham Downes (the salesman from E S Hartley) was a friend. I clicked on his profile with the intention of sending him a message to say that we'd be back in the morning with a deposit for the camper we were looking at...that was until I read some posts that had been uploaded that evening by said Mr Downes.
Now, as you will see from my user ID, I'm a true Scott. Furthermore, the comments related to a Show that was being held in Glasgow, Scotland. The posts read as follows:
"Dealt with too many tyre kickers today, does no one from here have any money?".....
"Can't understand a word these people are saying, they need to learn English"....
and finally.....
"Hadrian didn't build the f'ing wall high enough!"
To say that I was shocked and appalled by these comments was an understatement.
I rang their Dealership in Ings the very next morning and got hold of a chap who was very apologetic and expressed his dismay at what I was telling him I'd read the night before and said he'd report it to a Manager/Director.
I then contacted Facebook and reported the comments made by Mr Downes as highly offensive and racist...the posts disappeared within a matter of hours.
Needless to say, we did not return to the SECC Show as I may not have been responsible for my actions if my "mate" had approached me. Instead, we waited a month "jumped over the wall" and headed to the NEC Show in Birmingham where we purhased a brand new VW camper, of exactly the same type that we viewed on E S Hartleys stand in my "Homeland".
In summary, what started off as a bit of an annoyance (being addressed as mate, my friend and pal) turned into a racist slur against me and "my brothers" LOL
Shame you had to endure this kind of treatment, guess you really really wanted that van? Enjoy "my friend", enjoy!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back