On the road again ........ destination, Venice! (1 Viewer)

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
It seems like forever since we returned from our winter trip to Morocco/Portugal at the end of March and much has been done in the meantime. The self inflicted dings and dents sustained on last trip have been sorted, new cam belt, alternator belt, water pump and some other bits and pieces all done........ so we are set for most things.

Set off from home in Malaga on Monday and now pitched up at Benisol in good old Benidorm for a couple of days before heading to Barcelona to meet friends. From there we head around the Med coast of France to Italy visiting Venice, Florence and Rome before returning to Barcelona with Grimaldi Lines from {near} Rome.

After Barcelona it is all new ground for us, so any tips, advice on stop overs, must see stuff or any general info most welcome. Hope to post progress from time to time depending on internet access..... guess we will develop a taste for McDonalds :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Regards

Bryan & Anna

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Enjoy the trip and watch out for the bandits around Barcelona...:thumb::thumb:

Benidorm :thumb: Will be back there in a few weeks,,,:Cool:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I'll toss in Camping Michael Angelo in Florence and Camping Tiber outside Rome.

Both served us well.

And on FUN today, Diano Marina makes a good stop on your route.

Followed by Pisa then Florence.

Venice. Well so many possibilities you will be spoiled for choice.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MrMotorhome

Funster
Deceased RIP
May 19, 2009
Funster No
Hello Bryan and Anna,

Worth consideration:

Camping Miramare for Venice - buy inclusive boat tickets for your length of stay - then sail in and around Venice as much as you like - brilliant service.

Florence, Camping Michelangelo - great views. Arrive early. Walk down into Florence and catch the bus back! :Eeek: Great market on Tuesday.

Pisa - loved the leaning tower - worth a day.

Have a fabuuuuuloooosss time you two. :thumb:

Andrew and Carol x

OP
OP
bryandh

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Hi guys hope you are both in good health.

Thanks for the info looks v interesting. The "all inclusive boat tickets?" Are they readily available or only at a specific sales venue?

Best wishes from "us two"

Bryan
Hello Bryan and Anna,

Worth consideration:

Camping Miramare for Venice - buy inclusive boat tickets for your length of stay - then sail in and around Venice as much as you like - brilliant service.

Florence, Camping Michelangelo - great views. Arrive early. Walk down into Florence and catch the bus back! :Eeek: Great market on Tuesday.

Pisa - loved the leaning tower - worth a day.

Have a fabuuuuuloooosss time you two. :thumb:

Andrew and Carol x

MrMotorhome

Funster
Deceased RIP
May 19, 2009
Funster No
Hi guys hope you are both in good health.

Thanks for the info looks v interesting. The "all inclusive boat tickets?" Are they readily available or only at a specific sales venue?

They are readily available. From Camping Miramare (past the port, on the left) it's ten minutes walk to the port and you can buy the tickets there. They operate like Oyster Cards - put them into the machine to 'read' and walk on board with your ticket to use again. We travelled on them whenever we could - just for the fun of touring around Venice and its islands. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Do let us know how you get on. :thumb:

OP
OP
bryandh

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Tempted fates with comments in original post,,,,,, alternator packed up and the holiday fund took a €300 hit to be replaced:Sad::Sad::Sad:.

Are we downhearted......... course we are :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: but the journey must go on, will just batter the plastic !!!

Regards Bryan

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
Lucky really

Tempted fates with comments in original post,,,,,, alternator packed up and the holiday fund took a €300 hit to be replaced:Sad::Sad::Sad:.

Are we downhearted......... course we are :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: but the journey must go on, will just batter the plastic !!!

Regards Bryan

At least you weren't in France. When my alternator pegged out two years ago they were talking £700 :Eeek: as long as nothing else needed doing. Luckily Saga took us back home and it was done for less than £300. The French certainly know how to charge for services.

Enjoy Italy and the free sostas.

OP
OP
bryandh

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
At least you weren't in France. When my alternator pegged out two years ago they were talking £700 :Eeek: as long as nothing else needed doing. Luckily Saga took us back home and it was done for less than £300. The French certainly know how to charge for services.

Enjoy Italy and the free sostas.

The Spanish mechanic was great, small back street family business and they virtually dropped everything and we had the van back in 4 hours......... admittedly siesta increased that to 6 hours. €155 parts, €75 labour the rest VAT. Made big mistake.......... when he asked "want a bill" the answer should have been a resounding "No" but like an unthinking prat I said "Yes please:cry:"..... hence the added VAT ! I really should no better, missed the signal.

Regards, Bryan

OP
OP
bryandh

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
I'll toss in Camping Michael Angelo in Florence and Camping
Tiber outside Rome.

Both served us well.

And on FUN today, Diano Marina makes a good stop on your route.

Followed by Pisa then Florence.

Venice. Well so many possibilities you will be spoiled for choice.

Brian, while researching this trip,I stumbled across one of your recent posts regarding group of vans you took to Lake Garda (?). You mentioned a particular camp site, which I thought I had book marked....... if I did, cannot find it. Do you recall the post/site?

Regards, Bryan

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
Brian, while researching this trip,I stumbled across one of your recent posts regarding group of vans you took to Lake Garda (?). You mentioned a particular camp site, which I thought I had book marked....... if I did, cannot find it. Do you recall the post/site?

Regards, Bryan

Hi Bryan

Think the sites Brian has used at Lake Garda are Camp Butterfly @ Pescheria Del Garda

OP
OP
bryandh

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Bryan

Think the sites Brian has used at Lake Garda are Camp Butterfly @ Pescheria Del Garda

Thanks guys....... that is the one:thumb:

Regards, Bryan

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Bryan, when Camping Butterfly was full we stopped at Camping Cappucinni which is also at Peschierra. A nice site which we are happy to recommend.

Brisey.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
IHope to post progress from time to time depending on internet access..... guess we will develop a taste for McDonalds :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Regards

Bryan & Anna
Looking forward to reading of your progress Bryan & Anna. :Smile:

Have a great time, and safe travels. :thumb:

Jock & Rita.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Hi Bryan, when Camping Butterfly was full we stopped at [HI]Camping Cappucinni[/HI] which is also at Peschierra. A nice site which we are happy to recommend.

Brisey.

and I used Camping Del Garda on Brian's (Hilldwellers) recommendation.

I looked in at Butterfly and it was a little more cramped but a little more central........Have a great trip...Griff

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Elaine really want to go to Venice but we only have 2 weeks in late September or early October
What it like weather wise
Are sites still open in October
Can someone recommend a route down that's fairly quick avoids tolls were possible but I dont mind paying tolls to avoid long detours that put excessive mileage or time on trip
I dont like paying out for tolls but some times it seems that when you take into account the extra time and fuel used in some of the detours that people take its could not be worth it especially if only on a short break

Not much to ask for I know

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Venice: We prefer to use campsites across the lagoon along the Adriatic Coast near Punta Sabbioni, then catch the ferry to Venice in the morning. In Venice you can eat surprisingly cheaply along the Grand Canal within sight of the Rialto Bridge if you shop around. Ristorante Omnibus has kept us happy on a couple of occasions. Other lower cost eateries can be found along the waterfront in the direct of the Arsenale. We did a boat trip out to Murano and Burano but weren't mightily impressed, and their waterways were a bit pongy, whereas the Venice ones seemed OK. If you don't want to pay a fortune for a gondola ride, try a Traghetta across the Grand Canal - a sort of ferry gondola which you can stand up in if you want a laugh. All of the main tourist attractions are worth looking at, but early queueing is recommended. Enjoy your trip.

OP
OP
bryandh

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
The van saga continues......... battery not charging after new alternator fitted few days ago, booked into garage tomorrow for inspection.

In the meantime spent our first visit this trip in beautiful Barcelona and explored the truly amazing St Joseph's Market, halfway down La Rambla....... the pictures tell the story better than I am able.

Attachments

• 20130514_144833.jpg
    20130514_144833.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 20130514_143921.jpg
    20130514_143921.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 20130514_143914.jpg
    20130514_143914.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 20130514_142723.jpg
    20130514_142723.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 20130514_142147.jpg
    20130514_142147.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
bryandh

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
The van saga continues......... battery not charging after new alternator fitted few days ago, booked into garage tomorrow for inspection.

In the meantime spent our first visit this trip in beautiful Barcelona and explored the truly amazing St Joseph's Market, halfway down La Rambla....... the pictures tell the story better than I am able.
H

No joy with garage in Barcelona, backtracked to Lorca in Murcia to see original mechanic, round trip of 800 miles !! New,new alternator now fitted and is performing OK and we are now back on the road. Pitched up at Roses just south of French border and will cross into France later today. Filled up with diesel at good old Carrefour and collected my 8% discount, just need to find Cepsa garage to buy gas bottle.

regards Bryan

Last edited:

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Or This

Hi,

Our favourite for visiting Venice is - Camping International, Lido De Jesolo. Link Removed. Bus stop right outside to take you to Punta Sabbioni for ferries to Venice but very close, walkable to Jesolo.

Rob

OP
OP
bryandh

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Hi,

Our favourite for visiting Venice is - Camping International, Lido De Jesolo. Link Removed. Bus stop right outside to take you to Punta Sabbioni for ferries to Venice but very close, walkable to Jesolo.

Rob

Thanks Rob, that is one recommended by a number of members, so we will certainly give it a looksee.

Finally arrived in La belle France. Pitched up at aire outside Perpignan and the wind is howling around us at the same time as the sun is shining brightly from a stunning blue sky...... not a cloud in sight.

Regards Bryan

OP
OP
bryandh

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
We made it !!

Well after a number of mechanical problems, delays and a briefly considered "maybe we should turn back", we finally made and here we are in Venice. We know we are in Venice 'cos there is water everywhere ............ been raining solidly for 24 hours and more to come, apparently, but that is a minor consideration ..... We made it !!

Many thanks for all the advice/tips etc., sadly we had to bypass a number of places we wanted to see, including glorious Lake Garda, another time perhaps. We have chosen Village Venezia to stay at for the next 6/7 days (ACSI rate €16) and a fabulous site it is and the facilities compare, in miniature, with Marjal and those who have stayed there will know what I mean. Great site and a great location.

Rain or not, we are off shortly to catch the bus/boat to explore the waterways of Venice to see if they compare in any way with the waterways of the camp site :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Regards, from much relieved

Bryan & Anna

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Make some good notes.. We may be considering this for September.. :thumb:

If we meet up anywhere before then you can fill us in over a beer or three.. :winky:

OP
OP
bryandh

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Make some good notes.. We may be considering this for September.. :thumb:

If we meet up anywhere before then you can fill us in over a beer or three.. :winky:

Hi Steve

Nice to hear from you, hope all went well with your van recently.

This is a nice site we are at ,damp at the moment. Have a look at the link and maybe bookmark if you fancy it, but of course there are many others around here. Will post more stuff as and when.

Just been accosted by a fellow Scot in the coffee bar who advised me "stay clear of St Marks Sq, coffee can cost you €20 a cup.
My wallet immediately went into lock down :ROFLMAO:

Link Removed

Regards, Bryan & Anna

Last edited:

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
En route I would recommend an overnight stop at Aigues Mortes. The aire is at Car Park 4 just a stones throw from the walls and the old town which is lovely.9.50 euro per night.
The tricky bit is getting somewhere good to stop on the Cote D'Azur as it seems peculiarly un- motorhome friendly compared to the rest of France.There are a few ACSI sites and i would recommend the one at Cagnes Sur Mer in the Val de Fleurs. Enjoy!:thumb:

OP
OP
bryandh

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Steve

Nice to hear from you, hope all went well with your van recently.

This is a nice site we are at ,damp at the moment. Have a look at the link and maybe bookmark if you fancy it, but of course there are many others around here. Will post more stuff as and when.

Just been accosted by a fellow Scot in the coffee bar who advised me "stay clear of St Marks Sq, coffee can cost you €20 a cup.

Regards, Bryan & Anna[/QUOTE

He lied!!

Only €9.80 per cup + 12% table service charge.. could have been worse I guess.

Our time here draws rapidly to a close after the most fabulous week and any of you considering come to this magical city ....... do it, you will never regret the journey.

Regards, Bryan& Anna (from wonderfully warm Venice)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back