On the level (1 Viewer)

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
A friend of mine was telling me about how he laid his caravan up for the winter. Removed the battery, drained the water, removed the gas bottles etc and how he set it nose down and not on the level. Having had caravans for many years before moving to the MH I don't think this sounds right but i'm happy to be proved wrong. I can see where the thought comes that it will help the rain etc run off but isn't this thought of at the design stage and built in for when the van is level? wouldn't storing it off level not just encourage water to pool or sit where it wasn't designed to be?
All thoughts and opinions welcome on this, and i'm sure there will be a few different ones.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Each M/H is different but probably the last thing the manufactuers think of is making the roof level/unlevel ::bigsmile:In 9 out of 10 cases they simply make a nice sq box :Eeek: which is easy to put furniture in :Smile:Simple way is to look up on the roof to see if you have puddles and park acordingly :winky:
terry
designed to be do they ever design anything right

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
My first one (hymer) I had to park with the front drivers side down Otherwise water ran off everywhere and I had black streaks on ever surface of the van. tilted this way I only had one massive black streak next to the drivers door.

The second one I parked with the rear down otherwise I ended up with over 40 liters of water sitting on the roof which would come off in one big flood the first time I braked. First time this happened was when I stopped to let someone cross the road. They got a little wet :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

This van, I don't do anything as the roof leaks and drains on its own :Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
If we park exactly level next time we move we have lots of water cascading out of the gutters in the front so we must be lower at the front.
We now try to park just a little off centre so water comes out of the gutter at the front so it doesn't pool on the roof.
One drawback is if we are over 3 degrees out of level the fridge won't work.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back