Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
None yet
Exp
Hi everyone,
Title says it all: My wife and I were seriously considering buying a motorhome.
Sadly she died last year.
OK, I know nothing about motor homes except that they have a steering wheel and a tank to put diesel/petrol in to make the thing move.
I've read a fair bit and the only thing I'm certain of is that there are so many different layouts and so many different makes that knowing where to start would be a bonus. ::bigsmile:
I own my own home and think that the best way is to rent it (with all the pitfalls). However, that's another item to consider.

So! Hello everyone and feel free to point/tell/inform me of what I need to know!
Kevin

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
So! Hello everyone and feel free to point/tell/inform me of what I need to know!
Kevin

Well a MH is no substitute for a loved one but go for it anyway. Maybe she'll be looking down on you with a big grin.

Your plan is perfect, keep the house, just in case.

Visit every dealer you can find. Sit in every MH. Now the hard bit, go through the motions of living in there, day after day, rain, snow sunshine. Can you eat, can you relax, can you sleep comfortably, can you pee in comfort ?

So there you go, plan in place, go for it.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Sorry you're starting the motorhome life alone but Welcome to Fun it's the place where you'll get all the help and advice you could possible need, often whether you ask for it or not. :Smile:

OP
OP
W

Wingit

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
None yet
Exp
Thanks for all your replies :Smile:
I've always believed in this saying:
"What the mind of man can conceive and believe, he has the power to achieve"

Well, I've conceived the idea for me.
There are loads of people on this site who believe (as I do).
So, I/we will achieve.

Simples ::bigsmile:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
hi

everyone had to start somewhere, without knowing anything about motorhome!
as previously said, go into as many as you can, even to the point of standing in the shower and shutting the door to make sure you have room to wash yourself.
if unsure, perhaps someone can go with you?

good luck and welcome to Fun!

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
Welcome to Motorhome Fun Mr Wingit
Why don't you try the Chat, Its a good place to get instant responses to your questions,
Any time after 2300 when it starts getting populated.

Duane

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
:welcomefunster: WELCOME :welcomefunster:

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Welcome. It took us three months to decide what to get, and the end result [low profile coachbuilt] was a lot different from what we first thought was required [Romahome!]. But it's been an excellent 12 months of ownership since. And the forum is genuinely a great source of information and inspiration [try the quiz on Thursdays as well!]

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi Kevin and welcome to motorhome fun, joining the forum is one of the best moves you can make lots of information at your fingertips, ask as many questions as you need, usually someone along with a idea.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Hi everyone,
Title says it all: My wife and I were seriously considering buying a motorhome.
Sadly she died last year.
OK, I know nothing about motor homes except that they have a steering wheel and a tank to put diesel/petrol in to make the thing move.
I've read a fair bit and the only thing I'm certain of is that there are so many different layouts and so many different makes that knowing where to start would be a bonus. ::bigsmile:
I own my own home and think that the best way is to rent it (with all the pitfalls). However, that's another item to consider.

Kevin

If you're going to rent the house, it sounds like you're thinking of fulltiming. In which case, consider an RV. A Class C with slides would give a reasonable compromise on interior space vs. something you can get into car parks.

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
hi

hi there kevin and welcome to MHF:thumb:
Brian jo and josh

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Welcome to Fun.
There are a few dealers close’ish to you.
Heart of England in Weedon, Elite in Middleton Cheney, Oxfordshire and I suspect one or two in Northamptonshire. Also Venture Caravans in Watford locks (A5).

I suggest that you follow the good suggestions on here and make a list of what you would like, just the basics.
Fixed bed, Dropdown bed, oven, etc, you will soon start a list of what you will find may well be important to you, keep adding to the list and make a comparison.
I know its stating the obvious, remember that sometimes you can see the nice new motor home and all reason goes out of the window, so take a deep breath and stand back and consider.

Forget what the salesmen tell you, they would sell their own granny for a pack of Woodbines, don’t make a decision too quickly, if need be walk away, search the web to see if the asking price is right, if unsure ask on here, we are a bunch or arrogant, self centred, know it all, make it up as we go along, experts. Seriously, ask away and you will get all the help that you wish (and some leg pulling along the way).

You will buy the van of your dreams and within days there will be something that will annoy the hell out of you, but remember it’s always going to be a compromise.

Remember that you have friends on here.. use them well…

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
If Elaine and I have learnt anything when buying a motorhome and we made a £4000 mistake it's

Want you want and need are not the same
Ask lots of questions on sites like this
Look for extras fitted awnings gaslow sat systems Ect all are expensive extras
Find what you like strike the deal walk away for 24 hours and think
check other dealers to compare prices
And if possible try before you buy
We bought a van we loved thought it was perfect and within 2 weeks hated it elddis 140 and we got away light compered to some on here
Lost £4000 4 weeks later on a trade in and now we have a burstnar T 640 and it suits us fine its still not perfect but then nothing ever is

Be very careful

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Lookn forward to seeing you at the meets ... you won't be alone for long... you will make lots of friends. :Smile:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi everyone,
Kevin

What do you make of us all so far, as you can see already lots of help soon comes your way. good luck with your search.

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Welcome to the site Kevin
Sorry about your good lady.

Hope you find something on here
to help make life a little better
good luck
Roger & sheila:Smile:::bigsmile:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Hi Kevin, firstly welcome to the forum.

Best thing to do is hire a MH for a week and try it first. In our case we found our MH two streets away as it was sitting on their drive for 7 months never moved. We looked at it then went to local motorhome place and hired the same model for a week. Enjoyed the experience so much we went back and made them an offer.

Would recommend a "island" bed, as it's there ready at the end of the day without having to put things away and make the bed down, and in the morning just get up.

We only started September last year and the members here are a great bunch of people. We have made a few good friends to date through this forum and meeting them out and about.

Good luck for the future.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Hi Kevin and welcome to the Fun! :welcome:

As others have said, layout is very important. And best layout is a pretty individual thing. :Smile:

Other important but rather more boring things to consider (particularly if you plan to fulltime) are winterisation and payload. Not much good having the ideal layout if the plumbing freezes up or you only have enough spare weight to carry a bucket and spade! ::bigsmile:

Good luck in your search for your ideal van. :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back