On board water tastes bad

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Spidey, May 25, 2014.

1. Spidey

Spidey Funster

We don't normally drink on board water but thought I would try oiling some for coffee. It tasted terrible, are we meant to flush it all out?

2. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Did you fill up at home or when you arrived?

It might just be the water on the camp site, try filling kettle from site tap see it is different

But we only ever drink bottled water, even through the kettle :thumb:

3. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

Only use mine for washing etc.

Fresh water in 5 litre containers by the door !:thumb::thumb::thumb:

• Like Like x 4
  4. Ninovan

Ninovan Funster

Not really surprised it tasted bad if you've been oiling it :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 5
  5. Deus Omnipotens

Deus Omnipotens Read Only Funster

My water keeps turning into wine. :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Spidey

Spidey Funster

No it's not the camp water we tried it directly in the kettle. It's a chemical taste, it is new so not sure if it will go away

7. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

yes it will, but it could take time.

Buy a bottle of milton fluid and tip that in the tank and fill with fresh water.
    Pull some water through ALL the taps, inc the shower, then let stand overnight.
    That will sterilise the tank and pipes

Drain down then Fill and drain the tank a few times then see if its improved.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Wombles

Wombles Funster

We do the same:thumb:

9. TheDogMan

TheDogMan Funster

We use tank water for washing etc and keep a filter jug on the work top to use for all drinking & kettle, been working fine for us for nearly 3 years, I just change the filters on a regular basis as we use our van a most weekends

Dave

10. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

even if you just wash up with the tank water, you should sterilise the system at least once a year due to various water-borne bugs. either that or have cast iron guts as its no fun having raging diarrhoea in a van

sterilise using milton fluid or better still sterilising tabs from a home brew shop

• Like Like x 1
  11. vwalan

vwalan Funster

just fill with chlorinated tap water .leave over night . drain and refill. thats what water companies use . they dont keep washing your pies out with milton .
    in 14 years only ever used it as a cleaner . have had to put font /river and lake water in at times . but when town water is available . drain and refill.
    the plasticy taste of a new tank soon goes away.

• Like Like x 1
  12. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Initially we simply didn't consider anything but drinking from the on-board tank in our first van. However, at one event the supply was from a pipe that was used infrequently so had been sterilised and (though the water was safe) there were off-flavours. So we started carrying a separate 5 litre jerry can for drinking water. However a subsequent event that used a bowser supply meant that was not totally successful so we bought a water filter jug and all drinking water goes through that (though we do tend to drink only boiled water in beverages anyway).

Another cause could be using sterilising tablets and not flushing the system through sufficiently. I sterilise the system once or twice a year and then run fresh water through. Each time I fill the tank at home I try water straight from the tap and if it tastes OK that is good enough :Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Gizmouk

Gizmouk Funster

No idea what you lot are worrying about. We just drink straight from the tap ..

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  14. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

they try washing my pies with water they'll get a smack in the gob :Angry: :Laughing:

• Like Like x 2
  15. Tootles

Tootles Funster

We have a 150 gallon water tank on the narrowboat, and found on our travels around the country that 'mixing' different areas water supplies could cause this terribly tasting water, like drinking something contaminated with Dettol. After making many enquires, it seems that different water areas need different chemicals adding. But mixing water can add too much say chlorine, giving the water the taste you describe. :Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  16. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Drink from the tank, what's the problem?:BigGrin:
    We never experienced a taste of any sort, even from new.

It ain't like you are drinking something featured in an Oxfam ad on TV!:Eek!:

Just a sterilisation once a year keeps things clean.:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  17. vwalan

vwalan Funster

pipes . i made a smelling pistake .

• Like Like x 5
  18. Movinon

Movinon Funster

We would never drink the stuff that comes out of the tank. Over time all sorts of muck can build up where you can't see it. It isn't just about bugs, different areas can have different levels of chemicals, or particularly minerals, which may be harmless but can cause problems for people who happen to be sensitive to such things. We keep all our drinking water separate, filled by hand into 10 litre containers from reliable water sources and then run through a filter jug using good quality filters. Then boiled. In 50,000 miles over many years we've never had an illness problem this way.

There again, I've seen people drink straight from water taken from taps sited specifically for cleaning out chemical toilets. Presumably they survive, or possibly are just too dumb to die.

19. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Your local water company doesn't go to that trouble!!:Smile:

20. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

The instructions for our van say not to drink the water from the cold water tank. I'd hazard a guess because if you don't drain down your tank after use and just keep topping up then nasty bugs could be in there..... We've used the Milton to sterilise the tank but in our two trips so far in the new-to-us motorhome have used a couple of bottles of water from home and then just filled the kettle / topped up the drinking water bottles from the drinking water taps on site.