omnistor step not retracting

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by mfh27748, Sep 20, 2011.

1. mfh27748

mfh27748 Read Only Funster

:Angry:Help my omnistor step is not retracting it seems ok when i do it manually

2. Popeye

Popeye Funster

Had exactly that when I purchased my Geist. After removing the step and playing around with it, it turned out to be a poor contact on the closure switch, which is sitting up at the back of the step. I cleaned the contacts and greased with petroleum jelly, been fine since.

If it is the switch, simply remove both wires and touch them together and it will work if it doesn't then you'll need to look deeper.

Hope this helps..........Griff...:Wink:

• Like Like x 2
  3. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

common problem.. Had to fix mine on our apache 700 2 weeks ago before we left..
    On the left hand side of the step (under the van) is a white square plastic section that contains a spring loaded switch. This gets cloged up with dirt etc..
    If you locate it you can pull out the whole part, wires are attached to the rear so just pop it out and then spray in some switch cleaner (maplins) or use some light oil or WD40 to clean the crap out.. You should get the spring part freed and bingo.. Off you go.

The step will work via the manual switch but not by the ignition as the spring usually get stuck in the closed position and the system thinks it's already closed in..

• Like Like x 2
  4. billy

billy Read Only Funster

We had the same problem turned out to be a blown fuse have a good check around the fuses in ours turned out to be under a bench seat i only found them by accident.

5. welsh winger

welsh winger Read Only Funster

Wd40 will do the job, but may I suggest you disconnect the battery first, as it is flammable, if you use switch cleaner I would still disconnect the battery, as I would expect that to do the same.

Nick

• Like Like x 2
  6. alan

alan Funster

step

We had the same problem it was a blown fuse in the engine compartment
    Alan

7. carl65

carl65 Funster

took mine to brownhills with same problem, contacts cleaned 5 min job did not charge result I say !!

8. badsim

badsim Read Only Funster

same

same problem on my swift 630 and turned out to be a bad connection on the switch, Only took 5 mins to clean and worked fine!

9. tim doherty

tim doherty Read Only Funster

I greased mine up and it works ok now.Tim Doherty

10. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

greasing the step is not recommended as all of the road dust and grit sticks to it. a thorough clean is much better, clean off the grease grime and grit.

11. robnchris

robnchris Funster

auto step

Our Autotrail Arapaho has one of these auto steps fantastic bits of kit when they work, ours has been ok so far but I did notice when we arrived at a site vioa a muddy lane that the step was covered in mud, splashed from the rear whhel.

So I have put a mud flap in front of the rear wheel to keep the step clean.:thumb: