Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Had exactly that when I purchased my Geist. After removing the step and playing around with it, it turned out to be a poor contact on the closure switch, which is sitting up at the back of the step. I cleaned the contacts and greased with petroleum jelly, been fine since.

If it is the switch, simply remove both wires and touch them together and it will work if it doesn't then you'll need to look deeper.

Hope this helps..........Griff...:winky:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
common problem.. Had to fix mine on our apache 700 2 weeks ago before we left..
On the left hand side of the step (under the van) is a white square plastic section that contains a spring loaded switch. This gets cloged up with dirt etc..
If you locate it you can pull out the whole part, wires are attached to the rear so just pop it out and then spray in some switch cleaner (maplins) or use some light oil or WD40 to clean the crap out.. You should get the spring part freed and bingo.. Off you go.

The step will work via the manual switch but not by the ignition as the spring usually get stuck in the closed position and the system thinks it's already closed in..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

billy

Free Member
Jan 10, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
since 2009
We had the same problem turned out to be a blown fuse have a good check around the fuses in ours turned out to be under a bench seat i only found them by accident.

welsh winger

Free Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sunny Swansea
Funster No
MH
swift lifestyle
Exp
4 years
common problem.. Had to fix mine on our apache 700 2 weeks ago before we left..
On the left hand side of the step (under the van) is a white square plastic section that contains a spring loaded switch. This gets cloged up with dirt etc..
If you locate it you can pull out the whole part, wires are attached to the rear so just pop it out and then spray in some switch cleaner (maplins) or use some light oil or WD40 to clean the crap out.. You should get the spring part freed and bingo.. Off you go.

The step will work via the manual switch but not by the ignition as the spring usually get stuck in the closed position and the system thinks it's already closed in..

Wd40 will do the job, but may I suggest you disconnect the battery first, as it is flammable, if you use switch cleaner I would still disconnect the battery, as I would expect that to do the same.

Nick

Aug 21, 2008
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
step

We had the same problem it was a blown fuse in the engine compartment
Alan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

badsim

Free Member
Sep 19, 2011
s yorks
Funster No
MH
swift lifestyle 630g
Exp
same

same problem on my swift 630 and turned out to be a bad connection on the switch, Only took 5 mins to clean and worked fine!

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
auto step

Our Autotrail Arapaho has one of these auto steps fantastic bits of kit when they work, ours has been ok so far but I did notice when we arrived at a site vioa a muddy lane that the step was covered in mud, splashed from the rear whhel.

So I have put a mud flap in front of the rear wheel to keep the step clean.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back